1. #1 Machine can tell whether you're liberal or conservative. 
    I didn't know whether to place this here or in the humor section. I've always wondered if there isn't a nature thing to politics because it's like what feels totally natural to me feels foreign to a conservative and vice versa. The funny thing is I sometimes feel my nature changing as it did before, so maybe it's all bullcrap "science."

Mother Jones, so I put it here.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ology-ideology

"We know that liberals and conservatives are really deeply different on a variety of things," Hibbing explains on the latest episode of the Inquiring Minds podcast (stream above). "It runs from their tastes, to their cognitive patterns—how they think about things, what they pay attention to—to their physical reactions. We can measure their sympathetic nervous systems, which is the fight-or-flight system. And liberals and conservatives tend to respond very differently."

This is not fringe science: One of Hibbing's pioneering papers on the physiology of ideology was published in none other than the top-tier journal Science in 2008. It found that political partisans on the left and the right differ significantly in their bodily responses to threatening stimuli. For example, startle reflexes after hearing a loud noise were stronger in conservatives. And after being shown a variety of threatening images ("a very large spider on the face of a frightened person, a dazed individual with a bloody face, and an open wound with maggots in it," according to the study), conservatives also exhibited greater skin conductance—a moistening of the sweat glands that indicates arousal of the sympathetic nervous system, which manages the body's fight-or-flight response.

It all adds up, according to Hibbing, to what he calls a "negativity bias" on the right. Conservatives, Hibbing's research suggests, go through the world more attentive to negative, threatening, and disgusting stimuli—and then they adopt tough, defensive, and aversive ideologies to match that perceived reality.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Apparently this genius doesn't read DU...
    May the FORCE be with you!

It all adds up, according to Hibbing, to what he calls a "negativity bias" on the right. Conservatives, Hibbing's research suggests, go through the world more attentive to negative, threatening, and disgusting stimuli—and then they adopt tough, defensive, and aversive ideologies to match that perceived reality.
    So basically, this libfag is saying that conservatives go through the world more attentive to the fact that humans are naturally capable of evil deeds(humans are in a naturally FALLEN state of sin), this is opposite of the retarded notion(read:liberal) that humans are naturally good and altruistic and that any violent or destructive acts are simply a byproduct of society doing wrong to an individual.

Now science will be looking for the liberal gene just like the gay gene!
    They are born that way and can't change.

What a load of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

What a load of shit.
    I have an Idea for a machine that will tell you whether a liberal will develop common sense, you have to dry them and grind them first and then test the powder.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

So, let me see if I can weed through the more meaningless BS of the article...

This person wants to identify a 'negativity bias' of the conservatives in particular, and the political right in general.
    Most people know that if you form an opinion in advance, you will usually be able to find a means of supporting it through 'research'.

"This is not fringe science...." Sorry, but imho, this is pathetic science!
    This study shows that conservatives have a higher physiologic response to negative stimuli... our 'fight or flight' reflexes are triggered by negative images...

In a word: GOOD!!!!
    Those are the people that are going to be prepared when trouble comes a-knockin'!
    And those are the people that I want in my corner!

Negativity bias?
    I choose to call it self-preservation!!

BB
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

This is not fringe science: One of Hibbing's pioneering papers on the physiology of ideology was published in none other than the top-tier journal Science in 2008.
    Given that this past year there was a revelation that dozens of scientific papers -- which had been peer-reviewed and published in respected scientific journals -- had actually been written by a sophisticated, tweaked "Greeking" (Gibberish-filler-generating) program, that doesn't swing nearly the weight that it once did.

conservatives also exhibited greater skin conductance—a moistening of the sweat glands that indicates arousal of the sympathetic nervous system, which manages the body's fight-or-flight response.

The 'Greater skin conductance' part may be a scientific finding, if it proves to be reproducible by other independent experimenters who aren't starting from the same socio-political biases. The idea that it represents a negativity bias and characterization of the reaction is hardly something that necessarily follows.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

What a load of shit.
    Doctor: Mr. and Mrs. Bullshitted, I have some bad news.

(Mother crying, and the father holding her close).

Doctor: I'm afraid your child has an L gene.

(Parents cry together). lol.

On a serious note, consider this. What if there really is something in our natures that make us want to see the very best in people and assume they wouldn't scheme at all (liberals) and those of us who in our nature naturally think that everybody will be lazy thieves if given the chance and therefore need a whip cracked down upon them (conservatives)? Okay, that was a hyperbole of the two sides. Thing is let's suppose it's true and it could be proven. Then, we'd know that we need to watch out for that part of our nature that might be a little irrational when faced with facts. If we know that part of our nature ahead of time, we can watch out for it and do something about it.