Thread: Smart meters

1. #1 Smart meters 
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

2. #2 Smart meters 
    Ok, this guy is a little over the edge I think. That 1 watt of radio power is just enough so a wireless meter reader can receive the signal if held very nearby the "smart meter". While it is definitely true that the meters collect data that can be analyzed in the way he mentions, if you have ever surfed the internet, far more information has been collected on you and your habits, etc., than any Smart Meter would be able to glean from monitoring your electricity. I suspect any data collected this way would be far more valuable in managing the power grid supply and demand than in any type of surveillance use (unless there is no other way to get any data on a given individual and, even then, it would be leaning toward the meta data type of information more than some of the specifics he suggested, eg the electric toothbrush usage). We civil rights hawks need to be careful not to overstate things or we risk looking...well...a bit daft.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We had one installed last year and I think the guy on
    the YouTube is a tad coo-coo, agree with Ape.
    May the FORCE be with you!

When you add all the different forms of surveillance they have it does matter, no single thing like traffic cameras or listening devices on streets etc... are in themselves the end of privacy but when you put them all together their is not a single thing or movement the government and companies for that matter, won't know about us. they won't need to give anyone a colonoscopy anymore, all they will have to do is contact the correct agency to get the pictures.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

While I agree that the guy in the video is way over the top, there is another matter with 'smart meters' that has hit home with me!
    The simple fact is, that some people are sensitive to RF radio frequencies, and having a smart meter on the side of your house can cause problems for these people.
    I know, because 2 of my 16 children fall into this category.

These meters are omni-directional transmitters! Their signals not only go out away from the meter, they also broadcast right back into the house.
    In my case, the meter is on the wall next to 2 of my kids' bedrooms.
    Within 48 hours of the meter's installation, 2 children were suffering headaches any time they were in either room. The only relief they received was when we moved them to the other end of the house.

The family doctor could offer no advice, so we started searching for our answer online, and came across videos about the smart meters.
    Granted, most of them are over the top. But one showed me how to shield/deflect the RF away from the house without obstructing the meter.
    I did it, and sent the kids in!
    That sounds terrible... but it was the only way, since they were the ones that were affected.
    In a nutshell, it worked!
    And it has continued to work ever since.

Invading my privacy?
    I doubt it.
    Causing trouble for my kids?
    Now they have a problem!

Not that I can do anything more about it.
    I already tried.
    Even had the family doc write a letter to the power company. No good.

Meh. Really does not matter....
    Once the solar storm hits, and the complete power grid collapses, and the zombies rise from their graves, the only thing that will matter, is how much ammo I have stored!!!

BB
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

While agreeing that the man is a bit paranoid, that doesn’t mean they aren’t after him…..

My daughters experience with Smart Meters puts a fly in the ointment of some of the remarks. Yes, the radio setup is very likely for a driving down the road collection system. My water meter has the same setup. My daughter was able to track her own electrical usage by the hour on a daily basis with data no older than 12 hours at any time. That could not be supplied by a drive-by meter reading unless they have vehicles touring on less than a 12 hour cycle. One of the good things about the system was she was able to reduce her bill by a good 10 to 15% by adjusting her habits.

She was also in a rent house and had plans to buy so this provided her with a trial time period without suffering the consequences of changing her mind.

None-the-less, the system also allowed the company to squeeze down her consumption from their end at any time with system commands from the office. This information was in the forms she received up front. Not all utilities are bound by the same rules so some may not announce their capabilities.

It was made clear to her at the time that she could opt out of the meter before, during or after installation. If she did not opt out up front, there would be a “significant” charge to come back and reverse the install.

With all the information out there on damn near every one of us and all the outfits collecting it on a regular basis, this is probably not a big pothole in the freedom road ----- but it is another of the little potholes that will, one day, turn into a chasm that the citizenry (future subjects) cannot climb back out of.

7. #7 Smart meters 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    When you add all the different forms of surveillance they have it does matter, no single thing like traffic cameras or listening devices on streets etc... are in themselves the end of privacy but when you put them all together their is not a single thing or movement the government and companies for that matter, won't know about us. they won't need to give anyone a colonoscopy anymore, all they will have to do is contact the correct agency to get the pictures.
    Look, this whole privacy argument is a little overblown I think. Please keep in mind that there was a time, not all that long ago when our concept of privacy was quite different and we were far less worried about. Time was everyone in town new everyone else's business. There comings and goings, relationships, etc., were all known to the locals who cared to pry. Now I am by no means an apologist for the surveillance the feds have been up to, but When it comes to privacy, the whole issue is not without its mythology.

The crazy thing is, ALL we have to do is adhere to what the constitution clearly says in the 4th amendment and leave it at that. Unfortunately our federal government can't seem to be bothered with things like the Constitution these days.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Hell, who here remembers party telephone lines? Or the operators listening in on your calls. It was just accepted AND we most of us weren't scheming to do damage to this country. We aren't today either, but the government sure acts like we are.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    While agreeing that the man is a bit paranoid, that doesn’t mean they aren’t after him…..

My daughters experience with Smart Meters puts a fly in the ointment of some of the remarks. Yes, the radio setup is very likely for a driving down the road collection system. My water meter has the same setup. My daughter was able to track her own electrical usage by the hour on a daily basis with data no older than 12 hours at any time. That could not be supplied by a drive-by meter reading unless they have vehicles touring on less than a 12 hour cycle. One of the good things about the system was she was able to reduce her bill by a good 10 to 15% by adjusting her habits.

She was also in a rent house and had plans to buy so this provided her with a trial time period without suffering the consequences of changing her mind.

None-the-less, the system also allowed the company to squeeze down her consumption from their end at any time with system commands from the office. This information was in the forms she received up front. Not all utilities are bound by the same rules so some may not announce their capabilities.

It was made clear to her at the time that she could opt out of the meter before, during or after installation. If she did not opt out up front, there would be a “significant” charge to come back and reverse the install.

With all the information out there on damn near every one of us and all the outfits collecting it on a regular basis, this is probably not a big pothole in the freedom road ----- but it is another of the little potholes that will, one day, turn into a chasm that the citizenry (future subjects) cannot climb back out of.

It cost you approx. 0.00893 cents to type that!!! Don't ask how I know...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    It cost you approx. 0.00893 cents to type that!!! Don't ask how I know...
    See, I knew you had your probes out there writhing their way into our end of the inter web....

AA - I agree but also disagree. If we all knew our neighbors as well as we did 50-60 years ago there would be no gubmint intrusion into our lives because no one would be worried about what the neighbor down the street was doing that caused all them strange noises all night or the guy across the street who never leaves the house in the daylight.
    Many are paranoid and some with good reason. Regardless, the national politicos have absolutely no need or right to collect information and such about me. What I choose to accept or not accept from those I do business with is another matter entirely.
    Allowing the daily intrusion by the Feds is just one more indication of the long, slippery slope this country is on as illustrated by my post of yesterday in the lounge. (Time is a river....)
    As SR has said, we are doomed and the majority of the country couldn't care less.