1. #1 Former justice Stevens wants to change Constitution 
    •Changing the Second Amendment to make clear that only a state's militia, not its citizens, has a constitutional right to bear arms.

•Changing the Eighth Amendment's prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishments" by specifically including the death penalty.

•Removing from First Amendment protection any "reasonable limits" on campaign spending enacted by Congress or the states.

•Requiring that congressional and state legislative districts be "compact and composed of contiguous territory" to stop both parties from carving out safe seats.

•Eliminating states' sovereign immunity from liability for violating the Constitution or an act of Congress, which he calls a "manifest injustice."

•Allowing Congress to require states to perform federal duties in emergencies, in order to reduce "the risk of a national catastrophe."

More
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

"It's certainly not easy to get the Constitution amended, and perhaps that's one flaw in the Constitution that I don't mention in the book," he said during a wide-ranging interview with USA TODAY in his chambers at the court. Noting his book's half dozen proposed amendments, he mused, "Maybe I should have had seven."

True moonbat view...........

Let the right suggest that and see what happens.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Stevens is either completely ignorant of the Constitution, deliberately trying to deceive the ignorant, or a complete ideologue(something he's not supposed to be as a Supreme Court justice). He's got to be one of these or a combination of these but he can't be neither. But I'll play along:

•Changing the Second Amendment to make clear that only a state's militia, not its citizens, has a constitutional right to bear arms.
    Considering that the militia is the whole of the people(George Mason's words, not mine) and includes all citizens then he's already lost the argument.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

F that noise. Amendments aren't written by the Justices, left or right, they're written by Congress, and the day that one goes through Congress, it'd be time to throw in the towel on this governmental system.

•Changing the Eighth Amendment's prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishments" by specifically including the death penalty.
    Also zero chance of either being passed by Congress or ratified by the States.

•Removing from First Amendment protection any "reasonable limits" on campaign spending enacted by Congress or the states.
    Is that going to apply to unions, Planned Parenthood, NOW, and every other Leftist group? Is the IRS going to let a few of one side's wealthy ringleaders form thousands of shill 'Public interest' 501c exempt organizations which will each spend the limit, while blocking the other side and obstructing the formation of every single group? No limits at all is a better system than what we had before the Supreme Court cut the Gordian Knot on this one.

•Requiring that congressional and state legislative districts be "compact and composed of contiguous territory" to stop both parties from carving out safe seats.
    Well, I'd be OK with that one, but since like term limits it would require Congress to do something that isn't in the interests of the incumbents, it has zero chance of ever happening. Several states do have laws like this, for what it's worth, of course they aren't the ones with the weird gerrymandered districts.

•Eliminating states' sovereign immunity from liability for violating the Constitution or an act of Congress, which he calls a "manifest injustice."
    O rly? Kind of overstepping the bounds of Federal authority on that one, no way the States would ratify it. If it's such a great idea, how about eliminating Federal sovereign immunity first, and see how that works out (It would be a terrible idea, actually; if you're tired of seeing ambulance chasers advertising on TV now, you ain't seen nothing yet if that one happened).

•Allowing Congress to require states to perform federal duties in emergencies, in order to reduce "the risk of a national catastrophe."
    Stupid idea. The affected States are already maxing out their own response resources in that kind of situation, and don't have anything to cut loose for additional Federal missions. Federalize the National Guard in the affected area? They're already being tapped out by the Governor. You want the States to take over Federal administrative functions in the area during the state of emergency? Seriously? What kind of catastrophe could possibly leave the States in an affected area in a better position to do that the Feds, who can pull in their own response and administrative resources from across the entire country.

I notice he didn't add "End lifetime tenure of Federal judges (Or Supreme Court Justices)" in that list...

Power CUer
    Who's trotting him out with this crap and why?

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Who's trotting him out with this crap and why?
    He's got a new book out or coming out soon.

The only one I agree with was mentioned above by DAT, the whole districting thing. Otherwise, he's a freaking moonbat.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender