* Penalties for Violating the Hatch Act
    * Advisories for State and Local Employees

http://www.osc.gov/hatchact.htm
    Yes, I'm familiar with it.

Permitted Activities

Covered state and local employees may-

* run for public office in nonpartisan elections
    * campaign for and hold office in political clubs and organizations
    * actively campaign for candidates for public office in partisan and nonpartisan elections
    * contribute money to political organizations and attend political fundraising functions

Now, being Federal and written by lawyers, I've little doubt any of the act is so cut and dried. What I see above, says he can campaign if he wants. That's entirely too simple though. No Fed law is ever written to be easily understandable to human beings.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

The statement from Sheriff Mike Scott (who was elected as a Republican Sheriff)

• Everyone seems to agree on the underlying issue…my mention of a Presidential candidate’s full, legal name of record. There were no accusations, innuendos, untruths, or malicious words before or after the candidate’s name; although many others have made inflammatory statements about the candidate’s character, etc. I did not change my tone or otherwise punctuate or repeat the name with any verbal or physical emphasis.

• “Why” did I use the Candidate’s full, legal name of record? Despite varying inferences, interpretations, opinions, and extrapolations; the answer is because I wanted to, much like I wanted to voice my support for the Barron Collier Marching Band.

• The issue of my status as an elected official participating in a political rally has been raised along with the suggestion that this somehow clouds my representation of all constituents. I have not heard similar concern over the many other elected officials that day and everyday engaging in the same activities across our state and country. For example – Governor Crist is the Governor of all Florida’s people and his support of the Republican ticket in no way implies diminished concern for anyone opposing his political choice. Likewise, my political choices against the backdrop of my proven record of service, in no way suggest diminished concern for any individual or group.

• The issue of my appearance at the rally in uniform has been raised. It is noteworthy that I recently completed my primary campaign and continue my general campaign in the same uniform. My practice has been to wear the uniform at all times and as is undisputed, I am on duty 24/7 and 365. It is also noteworthy that I joined my fellow Florida Sheriffs in Tampa very recently for a political rally…all were in full uniform. At no time during this week’s rally did I mention the agency I represent; however, I was introduced by my official title. Given the introduction and my widespread name and face recognition in this area, I am satisfied that my apparel is irrelevant and the same reactions would have resulted had I been wearing a suit and tie.

• The issue of the NAACP and Coalition for Justice instigating the “race card” and somehow deciding that my political choice and/or use of a candidate’s full, legal name of record makes me a racist flies in the face of reason. The strong support these groups have always provided me is rooted in my tireless efforts to work equally hard for all of Lee County. I delivered the Dunbar Community Policing Office and shocked business owners along MLK Jr. Blvd. by regularly stopping in to say hello during my first term as Sheriff. If their support is so shallow as to wane over one (1) word that was legal, accurate, and void of supporting malice beyond dispute, then I will respectfully move on without their political support and without change to my loyalty to them or their constituents.

• Finally, the complaint made to Federal authorities relative to the first four (4) items listed above. Much as when our agency or yours is called with accusations of wrongdoing, we receive the concern and begin an initial inquiry to determine if further investigation is warranted. I have not been contacted by any authority at this point and am completely unaware of any rules or regulations violated. If “elected officials” are governed by the Hatch Act or similar laws governing political activity…I refer you back to item three (3) above and the fact that everyday and nearly around the clock across our country, elected officials are engaged in political activities. In short, I expect to be fully cleared of any wrongdoing.
    I noticed they said many of the calls were from out-of-state - DUers at work!!

According to the Florida Sheriff’s Association in Tallahassee, a sheriff can wear his uniform however he sees fit.

“It is up to his discretion,” said William Powers, general legal council for the association. “Deputies can not campaign in their uniforms, but the incumbent can, because he’s an elected official.”
    http://www.news-press.com/article/20...01/1002/NEWS01

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Who cares? But he certainly seems to have a problem with anyone using it now.
    Funny that...and tough shit too.

:p
    I don't care, but Chuckie seems to...

Originally Posted by Chuck58
    It's occurred to me - I'm a bit slow sometimes - that when was the last time we've heard Barack HUSSEIN Obama mention his full name.......anywhere? The middle name seemed to cease to exist when he began running for POTUS.

I don't care if he changes his name to John Smith.

It seems to bother him, or his campaign, that somebody mentions his middle name though.

Why doesn’t McCain use Obama’s middle name then? Oh wait - he uses euphemisms like "that one." ;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Dunno why McCain doesn't use Barack HUSSEIN Obama's middle name. If I see him, I'll be sure to ask him - after I ask why he sided with kerry the Traitor and signed off on the Traitor's Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA affairs a dozen or so years ago. I mean, I'll ask McCain if he'll still talk to me after I finish questioning him about the committee findings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck58 View Post
    Dunno why McCain doesn't use Barack HUSSEIN Obama's middle name. If I see him, I'll be sure to ask him - after I ask why he sided with kerry the Traitor and signed off on the Traitor's Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA affairs a dozen or so years ago. I mean, I'll ask McCain if he'll still talk to me after I finish questioning him about the committee findings.
    I agree. I think McCain should use it all the time and should invite those KKK folks who some here want to support him to his rallies. After picking Palin, it really doesn't matter.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Elected. Against the law? Hello?

I don't know the law where this person lives, but where I live Sheriffs are elected as members of a political Party - usually Republican or Democrats.

I don't see any problem here, unless the laws in that area are different.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Did he use it before running for POTUS? Most people don't. I mean, when's the last time Sidney mentioned his middle name?
    Baines and Milhouse were commonly known. I saw no outrage then, why now? Is something shameful about being named Hussein?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Sonnabend
    Hey LP

I'll meet your Hatch act and raise you an Obama breaking the Logan Act. Or being investigated for ACORN vote fraud.

By the way, when do we get to see Barry Soetero's birth certificate?
    His certificate of US Citizenship?
    His Oath of Allegiance?