Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Favorite colors for decorating 
    Every year they come out with the Pantone color of the year. You usually can date a commercial building by the color scheme--whether it's that sort of turquoise color, very muted, the mauves, etc.

What are your favorite colors used in your homes? Do you go with the greys, the beiges, the primary colors as accents, greens, gold?

Our house in Florida had the typical Florida colors. Most of the house was bright, bright yellow. I know it was supposed to be cheery, but it was way too intense for my Midwestern taste. I've had beige in houses for so long that I'm sick of it. After months of going to the paint stores, I came up with a Sherwyn Williams color of "neutral ground". It's sort of a light grey with a slight hint of the awful beige. It goes with everything, including the light maple Shaker cabinets in our kitchen.

The biggest mistake was using a historic color, a soft green, in the guest bedroom.

We painted our place about 3 1/2 years ago. I was looking for advice on the current colors for the exteriors of houses and ideas on what everyone else is using on interiors.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Power CUer
    Not a fan of beige. Too much apartment living. When I have the choice, the walls are very white with lots of color in the furnishings. My absolute favorite look (which I have never had) is white, white walls--big, like a museum--and light colored hardwood floors. Minimal furnishings. Meanwhile, I exist with apartment beige. Ug!

Bought my house 5 years ago. Biersmythe convinced me I should wait a year to paint the interior, because I had to have a feel for it first. I didn't paint any room but the living room, and it was supposed to be "Sterling Blue" Which is gray with a tinge of blue. It ended up sky/nursery blue, but it covered the faux babypoop colored tuscan finish of the room. I am glad I waited, because my kitchen would have been raspberry (don't ask).

I have yet to paint any walls, but when I do, the majority of them are going to be a nice light taupey grey color.
    LC and Crockspot~ you are missed.

And I saw Pantone's color of the year was orchid? Wow.

Power CUer
    I hate Pantone's color of the year this year, Radiant Orchid. I loved last year's Emerald.

I don't ever use blue or lavender as wall colors - they are cold and don't react well with people's skin colors (whatever colors they are).

In your climate, with the kind of intense light you get, I would be inclined to use "Pierre Deux" types of fabrics and colors - Provence in the summer. Blues and yellows in fabrics, light colors on the walls.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I hate Pantone's color of the year this year, Radiant Orchid. I loved last year's Emerald.

I don't ever use blue or lavender as wall colors - they are cold and don't react well with people's skin colors (whatever colors they are).

In your climate, with the kind of intense light you get, I would be inclined to use "Pierre Deux" types of fabrics and colors - Provence in the summer. Blues and yellows in fabrics, light colors on the walls.
    I debated almost 6 months before finding that neutral ground color. Anything goes with it. After that ultra bright yellow, I've decided that I despise yellow. I eventually quit volunteering at Marie Selby Botanical Garden in the "Mansion" that was their art gallery. Couldn't believe that they had that same awful bright, screeching yellow color. I couldn't stand it at home or there. (Besides it was so boring that I almost fell of the chair--there were so few visitors in the non-season time that there was nothing to do.)

We have a red leather couch (old-timers, do you remember Cleo and Nyght Shadow who left CU and formed their red leather couch board?) I guess they inspired my purchase. That couch and red accessories brighten the neutral paint.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Quote Originally Posted by IassaFTots View Post
    And I saw Pantone's color of the year was orchid? Wow.
    They really missed it this year, didn't they? I could see it for a pillow but not all the walls.

"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    They really missed it this year, didn't they? I could see it for a pillow but not all the walls.
    Exactly, it would make a nice accent. Saw an article on it in Better Homes and Gardens....they used it as an accent in a wall with a navy wall. I wouldn't do that either-house is too small for that dark of a wall, but it didn't look bad. A whole wall? Nope, not even a half wall.

Quote Originally Posted by IassaFTots View Post
    Exactly, it would make a nice accent. Saw an article on it in Better Homes and Gardens....they used it as an accent in a wall with a navy wall. I wouldn't do that either-house is too small for that dark of a wall, but it didn't look bad. A whole wall? Nope, not even a half wall.
    I'm not into those accent walls. SR's mother had a color similar to ours (a neutral greyish color), but had darker accent areas all over. Her painter was awful, didn't do straight lines, but can see almost wiggly lines where the walls meet. It looked terrible. She recommended her painter, but we passed on it and found our own. You've got to really know what you're doing when you start mixing those different colors on the walls.

All one color makes a room seem bigger, at least in my amateur mind.

That orchid next to navy sounds good.

"

I prefer white or grey which is very popular here the are a good backdrop for accessories. I wouldn't use a 'fashionable' colour for walls as I'd probably get bored quickly. I might use a softer version of the radiant orchid in the spare room but I don't think I could look at it every day.