Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 primitives discuss buying checks 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1093885

Oh my.

The chronically-helpless primitive.

Paper Roses (5,012 posts) Wed Apr 30, 2014, 05:16 PM

Do you buy checks on line?

I find that I can buy checks cheaper through one of the sites from which I get mail and advertising, rather than my bank. I have used several as 'first time customer' with good results.

Found a new one a few days ago. Called and found the whole procedure upsetting.

Their ad quoted a price for 4 boxes of duplicate checks for $14.00 plus free shipping, but the bottom line --the fees made the price printed in the ad foolish.

I have had good results with two:
    ChecksInTheMail and ChecksUnlimited. Their 'first time' customer prices are great.

Tried another company today and their $14.00 fee for 4 boxes of duplicate checks--if ordered by phone stated that the price was discounted to $12.00 plus free shipping. By the time I got thru all the rigamarole with the customer service rep, the price quoted $45.00. What happened to the $12.00 and free shipping?

I was angry and canceled the order. I know I can buy checks at a price better than the one quoted by this company. When she ever said that my $12.00 (I thought) order was $45.00 I was really upset. Who are they kidding. I had to ask for the final price. The rep did not volunteer it. I had not yet given my CC number to complete the sale and told her to cancel it. I then asked why the prices was not as quoted in the add, she told me I had this and that on the order--which I did not.

Phooey! Do any of you buy checks from an on-line source? Care to give me the company name? I need new checks but will not deal with this other company again.
    The chronically-helpless primitive, like her good pal the Curmudgeoness primitive, the primitive with a sensitive bottom, is always trying to save a cent here and there. I'm not talking about saving fifty cents or a dollar or a couple of dollars; I'm talking about a cent or two. One or two pennies.

She'll spend an hour and ten bucks of labor to save.....a cent or two.

<<<orders checks from bank; the price difference isn't worth worrying about.

kcass1954 (1,698 posts) Wed Apr 30, 2014, 06:16 PM

1. ChecksInTheMail is the only one I've ever used, and I'm a long-time repeat customer.

When I worked in banking, I got checks there - at a decent discount.
    Ruby the Liberal (24,438 posts) Wed Apr 30, 2014, 07:29 PM

2. Try Harland Clarke

http://harlandclarke.com/solutions/p.../products-shop

I don't know how competitive they are, but we recommend them to people who want to save money by ordering online.
    NMDemDist2 (49,191 posts) Wed Apr 30, 2014, 07:51 PM

3. i shopped around for a community group i was treasurer for and sadly

the best i found was Walmart checks

http://www.walmartchecks.com/
    gejohnston (14,727 posts) Wed Apr 30, 2014, 08:55 PM

4. I haven't bought checks in ten years

or more. I either do it on line, debit, or cash. In the rare occasion I need a paper check, I get a money order or cashiers check.
    <<<never deals with money, incoming or outgoing, over the internet.

Never.

Pays everything in person, in check or cash.
    "Lu looks like she could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence"--Big Dog

Maybe if they kept more than a dollar in the bank they could get free checks......isn't free stuff every DUmmies dream.?

Power CUer
    I don't think we pay for checks at all, and I'm sure that is related to the amount kept in the account, as noted in the post above. Like most people, we write far fewer checks these days, since so much can be paid electronically.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJeb View Post
    Maybe if they kept more than a dollar in the bank they could get free checks......isn't free stuff every DUmmies dream.?
    It's only like, what? maybe four or five bucks for 400 of them.

I think my bank's exact price is $3.95 for four hundred.

Of course, that's the basic standard run-of-the-mill check blanks, greenish-blue in color, no fancy stuff.

But they're checks; who needs pretty pictures and junk on them?

Also, throughout the years, I've noticed that people who put pretty pictures and stuff on their checks, well, those checks might as well be made of rubber. I've seen considerably fewer bounced checks that were just plain ordinary run-of-the-mill checks.

Paper Roses (5,012 posts) Wed Apr 30, 2014, 05:16 PM

Do you buy checks on line?

I find that I can buy checks cheaper through one of the sites from which I get mail and advertising
    Sounds like a great way to get more mail and more advertising delivered to your house.

No thanks.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by franksolich View Post
    But they're checks; who needs pretty pictures and junk on them?
    I'm the treasurer for my neighborhood association, and during membership drives I am always astonished by how many checks I get from GROWNUPS with "Gone With the Wind", Harry Potter, and (godhelpus) Spongebob SQUAREpants on them. You'd think they'd be embarrassed to present themselves that way.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'm the treasurer for my neighborhood association, and during membership drives I am always astonished by how many checks I get from GROWNUPS with "Gone With the Wind", Harry Potter, and (godhelpus) Spongebob SQUAREpants on them. You'd think they'd be embarrassed to present themselves that way.
    In addition to the pretty pictures, which have nothing to do with whether or not a check's good, there's all these fund-raising organizations that sell check blanks at a premium price, the surplus ostensibly going for the organization.

I always get solicitations from the University of Nebraska, urging me to show my Nebraska pride by buying check blanks advertising either the University of Nebraska or the Cornhuskers football team.

Go Big Red. Rah rah. Boolah, boolah. For God, country, and good ol' Nebraska U.

At an inflated price, of course.

I'm a graduate of the University of Nebraska; the red-and-white sheepskin with my name on it says it all, says enough. I don't need to wear any crap on my sleeve, much less on my check blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by franksolich View Post
    Also, throughout the years, I've noticed that people who put pretty pictures and stuff on their checks, well, those checks might as well be made of rubber. I've seen considerably fewer bounced checks that were just plain ordinary run-of-the-mill checks.
    My experience is the opposite, I find that people who count every penny in buying the checks are all too likely to be the same ones who try to write checks down to the last penny of the balance, out of an unjustified self-confidence in both their own thrift and accounting skills, and screw it up, at which point they always blame the bank. Despite doing this drill at least every year, often changing banks in their outrage at banks' incompetence, they are of course too 'thrifty' to pay for any frills like overdraft protection.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    You have my sympathy. I was treasurer, then secretary, of our neighbor Homeowners Association. It was not a good experience.

What surprised me was how many people with very nice homes would pay with Amscot (the local check cashing place) checks. They're usually used by people w/o a banking account, one of those places where you can get a check in advance of your payday.

The previous treasurers played games with several accounts, thinking they were going to get more interest by doing so. The problem is that there were so many transfers necessary between accounts that sometimes the bank would hit us for a $35 fee. There never was that much money in the accounts, certainly not enough to justify the tiny amount of interest. It wasn't a good business decision. I got the board to agree to only one account to write checks and drop the other account.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I rarely write checks. I have a lot of my bills automatically debited or I use my debit card.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.