Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

SO, best sectors for a bear market?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    SO, best sectors for a bear market?
    I have heard that consumer staples are good in a bear market. Some blue chips have gone down to the point where their dividends are pretty attractive. Now might also be a good time to get into natural resource stocks, or at least when we are close to a bottom. For the time being, heavy in cash is a good position obviously.

How about renewable energy companies, with everything "going green"...I wonder if it's a good time to start looking into coal, solar, ethanol..etc type funds?

Most of my investments are in real estate...but I have some cash on the sidelines waiting to jump in...Just don't know where yet.

Jim Jubak who writes a financial column for MSN Money, likes renewables like solar, once things level out a bit. Especially if Obama wins the election. This was his comment:

They've been beaten up badly along with the rest of the energy sector. But with new government subsidies likely to kick in sooner than expected and an end to the silicon-wafer shortage, these stocks could show gains of 20% or more in 2009 -- even with a global economic slowdown in the cards for the first half of the year.
    Of course, that's assuming things get back to a semblance of normality.
    Last edited by Lager; 10-09-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo

I just looked up Morningstar's highest rated funds and ProFund's inverse index funds have skyrocketed since inception...especially this last week.
    15K minimum..time to jump in and hope the bear market lasts 6 months?

I never dealt with inverse funds...very attractive right now if that's where we are headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    No, you're incorrect. I do believe that this market will rebound (I think the bottom, as I've said here before, is probably 8). However, you have lost, given the assumption of a steadily progressive incoime of x% per year. You have been set back several years in the process. You know that, as a yardstick, a market that has lost 33% will need to recover 50% (of the original value) just to be even.

I've done work for some institutional funds management companies as well. One, in fact, that gave away a fairly large check representing an investor institution's pension funds to a rather squirrley kind of CEO. :D
    Ok, so you're saying the market hasn't bottomed out, but the rest of what you are saying doesn't make much sense. It's been a long day so I'll revisit this thread after some rest and relaxation. :D

President on the tube now giving his plan to fix things. When you canít really think of a new plan or something original to say - reiterate the obvious. Remember - weíre supposed to have confidence in him, as our leader, trying to imitate FDR.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Wonder how many more days until Toyota buys General Motors?

Hey! On the the plus side, those of us who still have money can go back to mocking the Canadians for their toy "dollars". :D