Thread: Pot Roast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Pot Roast 
    I made this today and everyone gobbled it up, so it must be good. I certainly liked it. :D I like a lot of sauce and this recipe makes quite a bit of it.

3 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1 pkg of Onion Soup/Dip Mix
    1 3/4 cups of water
    5 1/2 lbs of Pot Roast

Mix soup, onion mix and water together. Put the pot roast in the slow cooker first and then pour the mix all over. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. I served it with brown rice.

Power CUer
    I'm sure it was good, but the sodium in that version would kill me on the spot. I brown my pot roast with a bit of salt, pepper, and a little cinnamon, then put it in the crockpot on a bed of sliced onions, and add red wine.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I don't care for cream of mushroom soup but I make a lot of pot roast.

I usually brown it in olive oil, tuck some garlic slivers in it, and put it on top of the potatoes, carrots, and onions. The I add about a cup of leftover coffee, some Worcestershire sauce, and some beef broth to make up about 2 cups total of liquid. Obviously, I also add bay leaves and other spices. Later, I take the meat and veggies out of the crockpot and reduce the liquid. If it needs a little thickening, I just mash up one of the potatoes in it.

Now, I have made pot roast with canned soup but I've only ever used just one can of Golden Mushroom soup and a can's worth of broth or broth/wine.

Like Linda Numbers, I think that much soup along with the soup mix might be a little salty. But everybody is different.

Power CUer
    We all have different salt tolerances. Someone who likes to put onion soup mix in things obviously has a very high salt tolerance. Once you've moved away from high sodium content, you really notice it when you encounter it again!
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

I usually brown it in olive oil, tuck some garlic slivers in it, and put it on top of the potatoes, carrots, and onions. The I add about a cup of leftover coffee, some Worcestershire sauce, and some beef broth to make up about 2 cups total of liquid. Obviously, I also add bay leaves and other spices. Later, I take the meat and veggies out of the crockpot and reduce the liquid. If it needs a little thickening, I just mash up one of the potatoes in it.

Now, I have made pot roast with canned soup but I've only ever used just one can of Golden Mushroom soup and a can's worth of broth or broth/wine.

Like Linda Numbers, I think that much soup along with the soup mix might be a little salty. But everybody is different.

German-Jewish Pot Roast (Sauerbraten)

2 onions, sliced
    4 bay leaves
    8 whole peppercorns
    1 tbsp; salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    2 cups water, enough to cover meat
    3 lb to 4 lb "make it about an 8 lb bottom round roast "
    bottom round, brisket, or chuck
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup raisins
    8 pitted prunes
    1/4 ts ginger, ground
    Substitute about twelve ginger snap cookies
    found in the cookie section .
    1 tsp potato starch (optional)

In deep glass or ceramic bowl, place onions, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt, sugar, vinegar, & water. Mix well, until sugar is dissolved.
    "Try one of those large sized ziplock bags with a double seal
    or double bag it with a regular very large sized ziplock bag in a large pyrex dish ."

Place meat in marinade. Piece meat all over w/long-pronged fork & turn it in marinade several times. Cover w/plastic wrap & refrigerate
    for 2 to 3 days. Turn meat in marinade at least twice a day.

Preheat oven to 450F. Remove meat from marinade & place in a heavy Dutch oven w/ tight fitting lid. Strain & reserve marinade. Add all onions to meat & about 3 tb marinade.

Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 15-20 mins until meat browns. Add 2 c reserved marinade & as much water as needed to cover meat halfway. Reduce oven temp to 375F. Cover tightly. Bake for 2-1/2 to 3 hrs, until tender.
    Remove meat to serving platter. Strain pan juices. Replace meat in pot. Add brown sugar, raisins, prunes, & ginger. If you wish to
    thicken pan juices, remove 1/4 c liquid from pot & dissolve potato starch in it. Return to pot & heat gently on top of stove, until thicken. Do not boil. Slice pot roast. Pour pan juices over roast & serve. Serves 8 to 12
    Bavarian Red Cabbage

1 large head of red cabbage, outer leaves removed, washed an coarsely chopped
    2 onions, coarsely chopped
    4 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
    2 tsp salt
    500ml hot water
    3 tbsp brown sugar

Layer the red cabbage, onions and apples in a slow cooker (crockpot) then mix together the salt and brown sugar in the water and pour this over the top. Cover and cook on low for about 9 hours (or high for 3 hours). Stir well and serve hot.
    or
    Sauerbraten with Potato Dumplings and Apple Sauce

(Rheinischer Sauerbraten mit Kartoffelklößen und Apfelmus)
    However, you need plenty of room in your refrigerator to accommodate four days of marinating.
    again "Try one of those large sized ziplock bags with a double seal
    or double bag it with a regular very large sized ziplock bag in a large pyrex dish ."

3lb pounds rolled brisket
    "8 lb Bottom Round Roast "
    1 tbsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    2 onions, sliced
    1 carrot, sliced
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    4 cloves
    4 peppercorns
    2 cups red wine vinegar
    2 bay leaves
    2 tbsp. bacon drippings
    6 tbsp. butter
    5 tbsp. flour
    1 tbsp. sugar
    1/2 cup yellow raisins (optional)
    Potato Dumplings (recipe follows)
    8 to 10 gingersnaps, crushed (can be replaced by 1 tsp. corn starch or arrow root)

Wipe roast with damp cloth; season with salt and pepper. Place in earthenware, glass or enamel bowl. Combine onions, carrot, celery, cloves, peppercorns, vinegar and bay leaves and pour over meat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 4 days.

On fifth day remove meat from refrigerator and drain, reserving marinade. Saute meat in bacon drippings plus 1 tablespoon butter until seared on all sides. Cover with reserved marinade and bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 3 hours.

Melt remaining 5 tablespoons of butter in a pan and stir in flour to form a roux. Blend in sugar and brown to nice dark color. Stir roux into liquid in the pot and add raisins (optional).

Cover and continue to simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour longer.

Prepare the potato dumplings

Remove meat to a warm serving platter. Stir crushed gingersnaps or starch into the pot juices and cook until thickened. Pour over meat.

Serve with potato dumplings and apple sauce. Red cabbage makes another good accompaniment.

FOR THE POTATO DUMPLINGS:

6 medium-sized potatoes (about 2-1/4 pounds)
    3 eggs
    6 tbsp. flour
    butter, melted and browned
    bread crumbs

Boil the potatoes and let stand for a few hours or overnight, still in their jackets.

Peel the potatoes and mash them. Add eggs and flour, form mixture into little balls.

Chill in the refrigerator for about an hour before cooking.

Bring lightly salted water to just under boiling point. Gently drop in a few dumplings, being careful not to overcrowd them. When the dumplings are cooked, they will rise to the top. To make sure your mixture has the right consistency, cook a single dumpling first. If it does not hold together, add more flour to the mixture.

Serve hot with melted, browned butter and bread crumbs.
    "Also have a good supply of sour dough or pumpernickel bread and
    a bunch of good cold German larger or Sam Adams Dark " .
    Servings: 8- 12
    Source: German Embassy, Washington, DC

I never make stuff like this (what I consider "real food"). I love cream of mushroom soup as a gravy base (it's what I grew up on). Sounds good and now I have a recipe if I ever deign to make real food. Just need to get the slow cooker!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I never make stuff like this (what I consider "real food"). I love cream of mushroom soup as a gravy base (it's what I grew up on). Sounds good and now I have a recipe if I ever deign to make real food. Just need to get the slow cooker!
    You of all people should get a good slow cooker. I have three of them!

Power CUer
    You of all people should get a good slow cooker. I have three of them!

I have three as well, 5 qt., 7 qt., and a small 1 qt. - it's great to wake up to slow cooked oatmeal or other hot cereal in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    You don't really need one.Think of all of those German Housewives making food on a stove top with cast iron pots and oven pans.The sourbratten was crocked in an earthenware crocks in the cellar or kitchen pantry without refrigeration with cheesecloth to keep the flys out !

KARTOFFEL KLOESSE (POTATO CROQUETTES)

9 med. size potatoes
    1 tsp. salt
    3 eggs, well beaten
    1 c. flour
    2/3 c. fine dry bread crumbs
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1 c. butter
    1/2 c. bread crumbs
    1 to 2 tbsp. chopped onion

Scrub potatoes and cook in their jackets until soft. Remove the skins and put potatoes through a ricer into a bowl. Thoroughly mix in the salt, eggs, flour, 2/3 cup bread crumbs, and nutmeg. Form mixture into balls (if mixture is too moist, add more bread crumbs). Drop the balls into boiling salted water. When balls come to the surface, allow them to boil for 3 minutes. Remove one from liquid and cut open; if center is dry, they are sufficiently cooked. Remove from liquid to hot platter and pour over them a dressing made as follows: brown the butter in a skillet; add the 1/2 cup bread crumbs and onion. Cook for several minutes. 12 to 14 servings.
    Sauerbraten recipe taste great served over these Potato Croquettes.