1. #1 Um, how say you ladies? 
    This is actually from the DUmpster but I thought it might be better here than in the DU forum.

http://upload.democraticunderground.com/10024963824

zappaman (11,706 posts)

Should Paid 'Menstrual Leave' Be a Thing?

For most American women beyond the age of high school gym class, “I’ve got my period” isn’t considered much of an excuse for anything. We’re meant to pop an Advil and get on with things, Red Devil be damned. But in several, mostly East Asian, countries, so-called “menstrual leave” is a legally enshrined right for female workers.

However, as these countries attempt to move toward greater gender equality in the workplace, menstrual leave has come under debate. Do these policies simply further the notion that women are weak, hormonally-addled creatures controlled by their uteri? Or do they encourage more equality by accommodating female workers’ biological demands, much as maternity leave does?

Japan has had menstrual leave since just after World War II. According to the 1947 Labor Standards Law, any women suffering from painful periods or whose job might exacerbate period pain are allowed seirikyuuka (literally “physiological leave”). At the time the law was written, women were entering the workforce in record numbers, and workplaces like factories, mines and bus stations had little by way of sanitary facilities.

The new law, writes researcher Alice J. Dan, was “a symbol for women’s emancipation. It represented their ability to speak openly about their bodies, and to gain social recognition for their role as workers.”

more at link

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...e-days/370789/
    As a male I have only suffered the peripheral 'damage' and only with the first wife (who seemed to live at the gynecologist). I never doubted her misery. Did she miss work? On one or two occasions and she never had any kind of sick leave so it made for short weeks when we were first married. You didn't miss too many days before you were unemployed so I know she worked more than a few days in extreme discomfort. I really don't know where you draw the line on paid sick time but I would say if you are sick you are sick and you shouldn't be penalized just because you are a woman.

Then they aren't equal to a man in the workplace now are they.

7 days out of 28.....maybe that's why they get 75% the pay rate of men.

I'm just saying stupid stuff in the hope it will stir some thinking along different lines.

There were times I missed work. But usually just the first or second day of my cycle.

Severe cramps, backache, headache, nausea and feeling just plain out of it.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

If I learned one thing over the years, it was this:

When a woman gets angry at you, don't ask her, "Red monster, huh?"

It never ends well.
    It is the right and duty of the citizen to be at all times armed.
    - Thomas Jefferson

It is the right and duty of the citizen to be at all times armed.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    When a woman gets angry at you, don't ask her, "Red monster, huh?"
    My smartass resonse was, "Is it that time AGAIN ALREADY?"......then she would blowup and I would get the silent treatment......oh what a relief that was.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJeb View Post
    My smartass resonse was, "Is it that time AGAIN ALREADY?"......then she would blowup and I would get the silent treatment......oh what a relief that was.
    Reminded me of an episode of Murphy Brown where Candace Bergen has a real tantrum. The others are standing around stunned until one says, "Is it the 18th already???" :)
    I had awful, painful, heavy menses for years, but never missed work because of it. I had a desk job, not one where I had to dig ditches or do heavy lifting, so that may be the reason.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken