Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 primitive shows off textile art 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018618142

Oh my.

Well, at least it's better than anything Amber ever made.

My Good Babushka (1,490 posts) Sat May 17, 2014, 07:43 AM

Some of my textile art. Hope you like it!

-----after which a picture of a pillow-----

-----after which a second picture of a pillow-----

-----after which a third picture of a pillow-----

-----after which a fourth picture of a pillow-----

-----after which a fifth picture of a pillow-----

This is a Jacobean/Day of the Dead/They Might Be Giants themed pillow. Approximately 15" x 16", cotton thread on cotton canvas. All hand embroidered and constructed (no machine was used in any part of the making). I think this is probably the world's best Jacobean/Day of the Dead/They Might Be Giants embroidery, but you will have to judge for yourself.
    grilled onions (1,850 posts) Sat May 17, 2014, 08:12 AM

1. Unique

Great colors and obviously it took a lot of time to craft this piece of art. A job well done!
    Now, not to disparage any handicrafts--for the record, franksolich doesn't have any skill and patience in embroidery himself, so the babushka primitive has that on him--but this a sad example of what Skins's island is declining to, discussion of pretty tame subjects. Who's going to object to embroidery?

I think Skins's island would be far more interesting, far more trafficked, if the primitives got down to discussing real issues of real substance, such as.....sex.

(I've written about this on DU Jr.)

Now, we on this side think there are very good reasons for being reticient about sex--franksolich is one of the biggest prudes one can ever hope to meet--but I'm talking about their side, not this side.

These are the old hippies who invented "free" love.

So how come sex appears a taboo subject on Skins's island?

Because the primitives keep the issue of sex behind closed doors, the world is deprived of much valuable anthropological knowledge. The primitives talk much about what they eat, what they enjoy and don't enjoy, what they think, what they feel, how they dress, &c., &c., &c.--but how they have sex, their experiences with sex, are just as important as these mundane things.

What ever happened to the wild, reckless, devil-may-care abandon the primitives had about sex forty, fifty years ago? Being s-o-o-o-o-o-o uninhibted on so many other things, one's mystified as to why they're so tight-mouthed about this one thing, which after all is a pretty major human activity.
    "Lu looks like she could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence"--Big Dog

The headscarf primitive posts her products all the time.

I think she's just using Skin's to advertise her website.

She does give some interesting historical background to her merchandise.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

I don't get the theme and it's not something I'd want in my living room, but what I can tell of the embroidery, it is quite nicely done, with good use of the canvas (nicely centered and balanced, good color). This kind of embroidery can be very time consuming.

Is that a phone number on the guitar neck?

www.whitepages.com is great for reverse number look ups.

Even for land lines in New York City.

http://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-718-387-6962

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Frank, $kimmer threw down an edict about sex threads in the lounge about 10 years ago. They aren't allowed. Back in those days, I was able to finagle an invite to their offshoot sex site. It quickly closed.

Before the crash here, I had copied a lot of the member names & perhaps some photos. I'd never share the pictures, but they did include numerous "primitives of prominence" as you call them.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    I don't get the theme.
    Most of her art stuff has dark theme to me.

This is a page that shows the items she has sold.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/mygoodbabu..._sales_leftnav
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Frank, $kimmer threw down an edict about sex threads in the lounge about 10 years ago. They aren't allowed. Back in those days, I was able to finagle an invite to their offshoot sex site. It quickly closed.

Before the crash here, I had copied a lot of the member names & perhaps some photos. I'd never share the pictures, but they did include numerous "primitives of prominence" as you call them.
    Yeah, but it seemed silly to shut it down, considering many of the primitves were involved in starting this "free" love thing, this "let it all hang out" thing, and it'd be interesting to see how it worked out for them.

You realize of course that this quest for information about the sex lives of the primitives is purely scientific, no prurient interest in it at all. As already mentioned, I'm a prude. It's strictly for purposes of anthropological research and illumination. Nothing more than that. Honest to God.
    "Lu looks like she could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence"--Big Dog

Quote Originally Posted by franksolich View Post
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018618142

Oh my.

Well, at least it's better than anything Amber ever made.
    Oh, I don't know.

I'd say that Amber, this pathetic babushka DUmmy, hippywife, and Atman McGrath are pretty much in the same boat when it comes to artistic ability.

You can follow her art on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MyGoodBabushkaArt

Quote Originally Posted by MyGoodBabushka View Post
    And thank you for posting the links here that led back to my Etsy shop. The views I was getting from this site led me here.
    Glad to help a fellow capitalist.

A lot of your pieces seem to have a dark side to them. Is that your interest?