Thread: Lunesta

1. #1 Lunesta 
    FDA lowers starting dose of sleep drug Lunesta over safety

U.S. health regulators on Thursday said they required a label change for the sleep drug Lunesta to cut the recommended starting dose over concerns it could impair alertness in some people the following morning.

The Food and Drug Administration said the starting dose for the drug taken at bedtime for both men and women should be the lowest 1 milligram dose, down from the previous 2 mg recommended starting dose. The agency said the drug could remain in a patient's system long enough to impair activities such as driving, even if the person feels fully awake.

"To help ensure patient safety, health care professionals should prescribe, and patients should take, the lowest dose of a sleep medicine that effectively treats their insomnia," Ellis Unger, of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, said in a statement.

The 1 mg dose can be increased to 2 mg or 3 mg if needed, but the higher doses are more likely to result in next-day impairment, the agency said.

FOX NEWS

I'm not sure I like the FDA playing doctor. On another note Lunesta just went generic. Lower mg is less cost for gov't healthcare. Just saying.

Melatonin made me groggy for 24 hours, I can't even imagine what an actual sleeping pill would do to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    Melatonin made me groggy for 24 hours, I can't even imagine what an actual sleeping pill would do to me.
    I've never taken a sleeping pill in my life. I have felt restless or uncomfortable and taken an advil, which seems to help.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    That woman uses melitonin, I can always tell when she takes it, 15 minutes later she stops talking.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Thanks for the update, Rob. We all need to do our own due diligence. I've been subscribing to a little newsletter, Good Pills/Bad Pills for years. It's saved me several times. I was being prescribed Propulsid by a now deceased physician. Years ago I had knee surgery scheduled and asked that gastroenterologist and my primary if I should drop it, after reading the warnings in that newsletter. They refused, said I needed it, and endured shots in the stomach after the surgery instead of taking a blood thinner.

After that I told them that I refused to take it. I switched docs--both gastro and internist. Shortly afterwards, the FDA pulled it.

Also refused to take one of the NSAID's after reading in the newsletter. Shortly after that the FDA finally came out with an advisory.

With the wonderous affordable care act (Obamacare) we'll all have to become our own physician's assistants.

There was an article in our lib rag down here about how we'll have to start doing our own alternatives to pain meds. Guess they're cutting costs, giving those seniors on Medicare a bullet to bite down on. Oh, yeah, they did advise yoga. Oy!
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Thanks for the update, Rob. We all need to do our own due diligence. I've been subscribing to a little newsletter, Good Pills/Bad Pills for years. It's saved me several times. I was being prescribed Propulsid by a now deceased physician. Years ago I had knee surgery scheduled and asked that gastroenterologist and my primary if I should drop it, after reading the warnings in that newsletter. They refused, said I needed it, and endured shots in the stomach after the surgery instead of taking a blood thinner.

After that I told them that I refused to take it. I switched docs--both gastro and internist. Shortly afterwards, the FDA pulled it.

Also refused to take one of the NSAID's after reading in the newsletter. Shortly after that the FDA finally came out with an advisory.

With the wonderous affordable care act (Obamacare) we'll all have to become our own physician's assistants.

There was an article in our lib rag down here about how we'll have to start doing our own alternatives to pain meds. Guess they're cutting costs, giving those seniors on Medicare a bullet to bite down on. Oh, yeah, they did advise yoga. Oy!
    I hear people bragging about yoga in lieu of any type of pain medication their doctor prescribes. That is great if they can do it. If your spine is like mine and has nerve impingements all up and down it, starting at the neck and ending at the tail bone, sometimes you need a little pharmaceutical help. On my good days I get more done then most, but on my bad days, well they are bad.

Thanks for the update, Rob.
    I first learned of this in a trade publication/email. I wonder how many doctors even have time to read them?

Benadryl, or its store brand version, works fine for me. No prescription needed. It wears off in 6 hours or less, too, so no morning after grogginess. They make a slightly more expensive version in with ibuprofin in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Benadryl, or its store brand version, works fine for me. No prescription needed. It wears off in 6 hours or less, too, so no morning after grogginess. They make a slightly more expensive version in with ibuprofin in the mix.
    That works as well, plus it helps with seasonal allergies and congestion.