Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 This is a stupid nit, for anybody who might own a scanner 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Mrs. Atomic Scientist screws up scanner!!!!

Wed May 21, 2014, 07:20 PM
    nadinbrzezinski

This is a stupid nit, for anybody who might own a scanner

we have been abusing ours. Somehow I pressed some function buttons in the wrong order, that basically left it like a real brick... no, would not do a thing. And with something that ran 500 buckaroos, that is kind of bothersome.

I was on my way to the shop where I got it, since we need this for work and was dreading to have to buy a new one. Traffic was something else. So turned around and came home, and went... well, when the DVR misbehaves we need to reset it right? Well I just reset the damn thing by reprograming it. It took all of five minutes, it is back in service.

There is a reason to a point I prefer the old gear. These new fangled digital radios I tell you kids, you need to give up your first, second and third born, and pray to the rain gods and hope it works if you try to program them manually. And not having the USB interface could be a problem. Yes, it holds far more frequencies than the old time radios... granted, they use that many more frequencies... remember when they gave the whole 900 band to law enforcement and fire? That is the reason.

At least it decided to misbehave (or rather me press the wrong buttons in the wrong order) AFTER the major fire. The reason why I say that, this is our actual physical scanner. At one point we were listening 16 hour days, to four freqs on the computer and had the actual sucker on scan.

And no, the manual is pretty much useless.

Oh and yes, usual day to day frequencies you will find on phone apps and online scanner feeds. Now the real meat, aka tactical bands, not so much.

It is just a little nit, mostly about modern day gear. At times... it is a real pain.
    Don't mess with the scanner!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    For a so-called journalist, Nadin needs to learn what a paragraph is.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Normally her editorial staff would handle that.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Did any part of that gibberish make sense to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Did any part of that gibberish make sense to anyone?
    Translation:

Wed May 21, 2014, 07:20 PM
    nadinbrzezinski

This is a stupid nit, for anybody who might own a scanner Please listen to my tale of woe... I do not need help, I only want to demonstrate my superiority

we have been abusing ours. Somehow I pressed some function buttons in the wrong order, that basically left it like a real brick...I screwed up and deleted the preset frequency settings on the company emergency scanner no, would not do a thing. And with something that ran 500 buckaroos, that is kind of bothersome. I cannot tell my boss that I screwed up... I do not want to have to find a new job, where I might have to produce!

I was on my way to the shop where I got it, since we need this for work and was dreading to have to buy a new one.Again, better to have it reprogrammed, than tell the boss Traffic was something else.What was I thinking? This IS Kalifornia... So turned around and came home, and went... well, when the DVR misbehaves we need to reset it right? Well I just reset the damn thing by reprograming it. It took all of five minutes, it is back in service. I unbent a paper clip and pressed the little 'reset' button on the bottom of the radio. I am so clever!

There is a reason to a point I prefer the old gear.When turning knobs, it is much harder to wipe out the memory! These new fangled digital radios I tell you kids,Said to remind you all that I am your better you need to give up your first, second and third born, and pray to the rain gods and hope it works if you try to program them manually.I certainly do not have the skills to do so And not having the USB interface could be a problem.I am so looking forward to Obamacare installing USB interfaces in everyone's palm Yes, it holds far more frequencies than the old time radios... granted, they use that many more frequencies... remember when they gave the whole 900 band to law enforcement and fire? That is the reason. Of course you do not remember this, but I say this just to prove, once again, how smart I am!

At least it decided to misbehave (or rather me press the wrong buttons in the wrong order) AFTER the major fire.I was getting tired of the incessant droning and reports from the front lines The reason why I say that, this is our actual physical scanner.This is the one the boss wants to have with him when he leaves the office At one point we were listening 16 hour days, to four freqs on the computer and had the actual sucker on scan.

And no, the manual is pretty much useless. I cannot find the manual

Oh and yes, usual day to day frequencies you will find on phone apps and online scanner feeds. Now the real meat, aka tactical bands, not so much. Always remember: I am better than you. I scan radio tactical bands!

It is just a little nit, mostly about modern day gear. At times... it is a real pain.Self-serving rant over. I am superior to everyone, because I can reset a hand-held radio

How was that?
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    It's really one of her lesser flaws as a writer.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    It's really one of her lesser flaws as a writer.

True that.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

DUmmies post some of the most mundane things that most of us wouldn't think to share on a message board.

Yesterday I had to change the batteries in my headphones and reset the cable box on the tv.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Yet it has generated one of the most active threads on this fourm today. Hummm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    DUmmies post some of the most mundane things that most of us wouldn't think to share on a message board.

Yesterday I had to change the batteries in my headphones and reset the cable box on the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post

I have a pair of cordless headphones for my computer, but they are rechargeable. I just plug in the USB cable if the battery gets low.