Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Do ,you think creating Discussionist was a great idea? 
    link

mylye2222 (471 posts)

Do ,you think creating Discussionist was a great idea?
    Positive points for me; Well obviously many trollers had left here and migrated over ther. DU is more calm.

Negative.points. Way tooo much confrontatations and very disgraceful OT, essentially against everything that sounds progressive. I do see much of hatred statements expressed here. Like poor and ignorants things targeting Obama voters, immigrants, denial......
    geek tragedy (38,101 posts)
    1. I salute the good DUers who fight 'em over there

so we don't have to fight 'em here.

From what I can tell, it's largely wingnuts and all of the people I was glad to see get shitcanned from DU.
    Translation: We DUers are delicate hothouse flowers, we can't take seeing other opinions and beliefs without doing damage to us.
    Star Member hlthe2b (50,383 posts)
    45. I saw an entire thread populated by previously banned DUers...

not surprisingly, I suppose. And, of course it was every bit like the DU attack threads the "cavers" and others post.

I have to say, though, I've seen posts from some previously banned DUers that I have missed. Not sure what happened with them, but glad to see they have a place to post other than the usual..

And, of course those who have taken issue with certain groups at DU are creating another Meta over there.

Finally, though, there are the conservatives. I see a few that are trying to contribute in a constructive manner. Most, though approach the site in a typically aggressive and overtly abusive way. I can live without any of that...
    Translation: If they don't agree with me and they stand up for what they believe they are "aggressive and overtly abusive", and I just can't live with that.
    Star Member JI7 (45,964 posts)
    5. it seems to be a place for those who hate people of color, women, gays, etc.
    mylye2222 (471 posts)
    7. Yes, and feminists, foreigners, Hispanics....even no-pol jokes, when they come from a progressive
    Bluenorthwest (31,056 posts)
    25. That's about the size of it.

I think that was the intention.
    Translation: If you don't walk in lock step with us it automatically makes you a "racist", "bigot", etc.
    Star Member greatauntoftriplets (139,500 posts)
    26. I think you've got it right.

Place is a turnoff for me. It seems to bring out the worst in too many of the people posting there.
    Hot house flowers. They should look at what is said on DU about conservatives......talk about a site "bringing out the worst in too many of the people posting there".
    Star Member Cali_Democrat (20,253 posts)
    58. Keep in mind many of those folks are DUers and began posting there immediately

It just shows you we have loads of bigots on DU...which I always suspected.

They're just more well-behaved here so they can avoid getting tombstoned.
    So those who participate there are "bigots", because Cali just knows so?
    Star Member pipi_k (19,413 posts)
    32. Yeah, actually I do.

In fact, I think it was a brilliant idea whose ramifications may not be known for some time.

So reading through this thread I see that some think there's little free exchange of ideas over there. I disagree.

I've actually engaged with a few Conservatives who have been polite and respectful. And, as I pointed out a few days ago, if you want to know what someone else was/is thinking...and why...ask THEM.

IMO, you're more likely to get the truth about why someone did or said or believes something if you ask them rather than sitting in an echo chamber where people waste time and energy speculating on why someone else thinks a certain way. Oh, sure, people can say that someone did or said something, but what they can't say...without being a mind reader...is WHY.

Also...some think there's a lot of fighting going on over there.

OMG. How shocking!!! There sure isn't any fighting here at DU, right?

Let's forget for a moment the DU Troll Wars.

Let's talk about fighting between members of the same party, FGS!!!

Men against women. Women against men. Liberals against Moderates. People running around spewing epithets at anyone who doesn't think the way they do. "You can't be a REAL (Democrat/Liberal/Progressive/whatever) unless you believe this, this, and this".

So basically, there are some who are only comfortable as long as others are agreeing with them.

And then some feel like it's all one big war to be fought. No compromise...take no prisoners!!! Fight them "over there"...blah blah blah. Holy cow, that sounds just like the crap GWB tried to sell us as justification for the war on Iraq!

Anyway, I'm not going to try and convince anyone to go over there and give it a good honest chance. The way I see it, the more balanced it is (fewer actual DUers), the more interesting the experiment is.

And as Eldridge Cleaver said, "Too much agreement kills a chat". DU itself is great. What makes it suck is people who apparently feel threatened by an opposing POV, even if it's from someone in their own political party.

Dear DUmbasses...you want a world where no dissension from your ideas is allowed.
    What you don`t realize is those you beg to enforce this and rule over you will kill you like a gnat on their arm.

It's one more way for $kinner to exploit money from the DUmmies.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    And for that reason, it's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Here's how I see it. If you post on a board and use bandwidth, then you should donate every once in a while. Don't treat it like it's a charity or anything, but boards do take money to run. I've donated here (sorry I haven't been able to lately). I used to donate at NU. I did donate to DU once. I don't see it so much as agreeing with what they have to say. It's about helping support a board one posts on. Skinner says the board is non-profit and they haven't asked for money at Discussionist yet. So, that's my take on the whole donation thing.

As for the board itself, I think it's a good idea because it brings liberals and conservatives together to talk about the issues instead of just picking on each other from this board and that board. As for how long it lasts, I'm unsure. It depends on if people can be discussing instead of constantly insulting and hitting the alert button. And it also depends on how much of a headache this becomes for staff over there.

I'll tell you this much. If it's anything like any of the other boards I've been on that have both sides discussing, you might want to consider staying away during most of November when the election comes. Same advice goes for liberals. Whoever wins, it's going to get nasty.
    Human lives matter.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Going to get nasty Lanie? That ship has sailed, young lady.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    That site was nasty from day one

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

How is skimmer making any money from discussionist? I can't believe that many of them are clicking on those annoying ads on the site then ordering something.

I have been on their "jury duty" TWICE as much as I've posted - just "served" on a Tav thread, I don't like that system at all. I've seen things go to the jury that are perfectly fine, then I've seen things that are beyond the pale be allowed to stand when the "jury" has the right composition. I usually vote to leave it, but the DU system will not work at discussionist in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Just wait until November. Imagine Tavener's rants of today on steroids. One side is going to be hateful for losing (to put it lightly). The other side will be cocky MFers. It would be comical if I didn't care about people self-destructing over an election.
    Human lives matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Just wait until November. Imagine Tavener's rants of today on steroids. One side is going to be hateful for losing (to put it lightly). The other side will be cocky MFers. It would be comical if I didn't care about people self-destructing over an election.
    Their tears are like candy to me.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg