Hybrid View

1. #1 The Big Picture Behind Abortion 
    The Big Picture Behind Abortion

This piece is part one of a two-part discussion on abortion.

On abortion, a large gap exists between John McCain and Barack Obama. The National Right to Life Committee as well as Pro-choice America agree that Obama has a perfect 100 percent pro-choice voting record. McCain is pro-life, and the two groups respectively claim that he votes that way at least 75 percent of the time. It should make for a lively debate this fall.

But the question of abortion usually centers only on the morality of the act (choice versus life), and McCain and Obama so far look to frame the question no differently. Morality surely is important, but its emphasis misses out on the much wider impact that these laws have.

>>>

Doctors in some surprising states, such as Kansas, had very liberal interpretations of what constituted danger to health; nevertheless, Roe did substantially increase abortions, more than doubling the rate per live birth in the five years from 1972 to 1977.

But many other changes occurred at the same time:

• A sharp increase in pre-marital sex.

• A sharp rise in out-of-wedlock births.

• A drop in the number of children placed for adoption.

• A decline in marriages that occur after the woman is pregnant.

Many of these changes might seem contradictory. Why would both the number of abortions and out-of-wedlock births go up? If there were more illegitimate births, why were fewer children available for adoption?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,365322,00.html
    Very interesting opinion piece.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Thanks for posting. It's too long for me to really read right now, but there are some very interesting points.

As for the legalization of abortion...in 1964 my mother was pregnant with my sister. She was an emergency room nurse and had been exposed to some diseases that were thought to threaten the health of the fetus by increasing the risk of birth defects, but technology was such that there was no ability to determine whether or not the fetus had been so affected. Several doctors recommended an abortion and assured her that under the circumstances it was legal. She did not abort. And except for my occasional snark at my sister's flakiness, it appears that there was no such detrimental effect on her health.

noonwitch
    I think that there are other reasons for the increase in out of wedlock births, in particular, the creation of the ADC program during LBJ's administration (which gave irresponsible men a reason not to support their kids), and a lessening of the social stigma on unmarried mothers in general.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think that there are other reasons for the increase in out of wedlock births, in particular, the creation of the ADC program during LBJ's administration (which gave irresponsible men a reason not to support their kids), and a lessening of the social stigma on unmarried mothers in general.
    There are a lot of reasons. The stigma lessening has really affected it. I think people do have a much more casual approach to both sex and to families with multiple fathers and no marriage. The high divorce rate has also contributed, in that there are more single moms in general, both due to divorce, and due to out of wedlock children, so that has also lessened the stigma. The cost on our society is great and people are ignoring it.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    There are a lot of reasons. The stigma lessening has really affected it. I think people do have a much more casual approach to both sex and to families with multiple fathers and no marriage. The high divorce rate has also contributed, in that there are more single moms in general, both due to divorce, and due to out of wedlock children, so that has also lessened the stigma. The cost on our society is great and people are ignoring it.

I grew up in a pretty conservative community, and when I was in 10th grade, a girl from my classes left for the winter/spring term. She came back in the fall. She had allegedly gone to stay with her out of town aunt. The rumor was that she had a baby and gave it up for adoption. This was in 1980 or so, and had the girl lived in a different community, she probably would have come to school pregnant and never left. My mom used to say that living in Grand Rapids was like living in the 50s.

When I graduated, there were at least two girls who were visably pregnant participating, but that's slightly different, as they were going to have the babies after graduation, so the stigma wouldn't have been used against them.

The city of Detroit has a high school for teen moms, that has on-site daycare. My high school had a daycare program for the teacher's kids-students who were studying child development could do work/study in it. Maybe lowering expectations also contributes.