1. #1 Chicago plans school for gay students 
    Chicago plans school for gay students

The head of Chicago's school system has proposed the creation of a "gay-friendly" high school to counter the high bullying, depression and drop-out rates among homosexual pupils.

Last Updated: 1:54PM BST 10 Oct 2008

Bill Greaves, Chicago city's liason officer said it was important that gay and lesbian historical figures were highlighted to give young gay people positive, successful role models Photo: PA

The Pride Campus of Social Justice High School would be open to all students in the city, and would probably end up being "majority straight", said Arne Duncan, the head of Chicago Public Schools.

But it would provide a supportive atmosphere for gay pupils, using prominent gays and lesbians - including James Baldwin and Gertrude Stein - in its curriculum.

Bill Greaves, the city's liason officer on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, said the school would "make sure these people are not invisible in history".

He said it was important that gay and lesbian historical figures were highlighted to give young gay people positive, successful role models.

The proposals were supported by most of the 50 Chicago residents who attended a public meeting on the city's education. They will be voted on by the Chicago board of education on October 22.

If approved, the Pride Campus would be unlikely to open until 2010 and would teach 600 students.

The scheme has already been tried elsewhere, with the Alliance High School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which considers itself "gay friendly" and has 125 students.
    I'm kind of wondering how they will work this. As a straight student, I wouldn't have been interested in attending a gay school. There are enough academically challenging magnet schools now that I would base my school choice on social opportunities and activities. A gay school wouldn't offer much to me.

If they can't force people to attend this school, I wonder how they will meet their diversity quotas? I'm guessing that the student body will be primarily white and mostly male.

(No, I have no idea what message the editor is attempting to send by including the hyper-gay sailor pic with this story.)

Telegraph

Patent Member
    said it was important that gay and lesbian historical figures were highlighted to give young gay people positive, successful role models
    How about the City of Chicago starts with teaching kids to read before they start worrying about positive role models.

On another note, why does someone have to be gay in order to be a positive, successful role model? Is Martin Luther King, Jr. a bad role model for me because I'm white?

noonwitch
    You mean Chicago doesn't already have a school for the performing arts?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    You mean Chicago doesn't already have a school for the performing arts?
    LOL! I thought of that myself. :p

Gays will have made genuine progress in being taken seriously when we no longer associate musicals, fashion, or other trivial vocations with effeminate men. However, that day will never come unless gay men give up using female stereotyping as a lifestyle option.

It would also help if they stopped wearing chaps and dressing like Christian religious figures. Nothing quite says, "My rights as an authentic human being are being oppressed" like the sight of some old dude dressed like a nun who is whipping a couple of naked bystanders.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    LOL! I thought of that myself. :p

Gays will have made genuine progress in being taken seriously when we no longer associate musicals, fashion, or other trivial vocations with effeminate men. However, that day will never come unless gay men give up using female stereotyping as a lifestyle option.

It would also help if they stopped wearing chaps and dressing like Christian religious figures. Nothing quite says, "My rights as an authentic human being are being oppressed" like the sight of some old dude dressed like a nun who is whipping a couple of naked bystanders.

I'll tell you, though, there is nothing as fun as going to a gay-friendly restaurant on Halloween. There are always at least two nuns and a couple of roller derby girls.

I was in orchestra in high school, and I went to a couple of different music camps. Interlochen Music Camp is a straight boys' paradise-there are about 20 straight girls for each of them. One of the harpists was straight and over 18 (when the drinking age was 18). All he had to do was sit down at a table, and the girls would flock around him.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Let me guess, they'll try and put this school near the corner of Halsted & Belmont, a/k/a the "Boys Town" section.