Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Talking about age and health is a losing GOP strategy, and an unnecessary one 
    link

DonViejo (9,351 posts)

The Hillary Clinton age trap
    Talking about age and health is a losing GOP strategy, and an unnecessary one

June 5, 2014 2:00AM ET

by Jill Lawrence

There is no avoiding age as an issue in presidential campaigns. Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole and John McCain all had to deal with it, and 2016 prospect Hillary Clinton is already fielding ham-fisted Republican references to her age and health. The conservative Drudge Report even suggested she was holding a walker on the cover of People magazine — except that the walker was actually a patio chair.

Before Drudge, there was Karl Rove, who reportedly wondered whether Clinton’s 2012 concussion and blood clot might have led to brain damage. In the media dust-up that followed, Republican Party Chairman Reince Priebus said questions about age and health were “fair game.” That’s true. And it’s standard for presidential candidates to provide medical records or at least a summary of their health status from their doctors.

But discussing the issue is not a winning strategy for Republicans, a fact reinforced by a new poll in which two-thirds of Americans said they disapproved of Rove’s remarks. Even subtle attempts to highlight Clinton’s age are likely to be self-defeating. On top of that, they are unnecessary.

Let’s look at the numbers. Reagan was the oldest U.S. president to take office, at 69. If Clinton runs and wins, that’s the same age she would be on Inauguration Day 2017. The media are not going to let anyone forget that historical factoid, so there is no need for Republicans to repeat it and every reason for them not to.

For one, it would simply give Democrats more fodder to argue that the GOP is waging a “war on women.” It’s risky business to raise age and health issues about a pioneering feminist when your party has a significant gender gap and is already playing defense on abortion, birth control and other issues important to many women.

more
    http://america.aljazeera.com/opinion...pkarlrove.html

LOLOLOL

So it's OK to make an issue of age when it is a Republican (Reagan, Dole, McCain), but NOT when it is a Democratic.

But if conservatives question Clinton, or make it an issue................it's REPUBLICAN WAR ON WOMEN.

Sounds like some serious attempts to intimidate conservatives to not talk about her age and to set the stage for a second rerun of "OUR CANDIDATE is special be cause she's a girl and if you talk about her negatively it means you hate girls, and if you do girls will hate you too (but of course THEY will be "justified in their hate)". Kinda like "OUR CANDIDATE is special because his skin is black and if you talk about him negatively it means you hate black people and are RACIST".

randys1 (1,209 posts)
    1. Neither age or brain damage will work against her, she is too sharp, too well spoken and good lookin

to have those work.

She is a Woman, ALL rightwingers fear Women and 99% of ALL righty males hate Women.

So, in one way the campaign will be fun, if you are sick like me in the head, watching filthy and disgusting vile garbage attack someone based solely on the fact they are a Woman or Black etc.
    LOL, not only was I right, but they are so predictable.

I'm chuckling over the statement that she's "too good looking". They are totally delusional. Hillary might be the world's most brilliant woman in the opinion of her supporters, but she isn't way too good looking, never was. I will commend her that it doesn't appear that she's going the Pelosi botox route.

We could just write the script for them, they're so very predictable.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    99% of all right males hate women? Where do they pull such crap from?
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    99% of all right males hate women? Where do they pull such crap from?
    I can't answer that in mixed company.......
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Let me correct that for you ... "Randy" ... you with the most inappropriate sign-in name.

randys1 (1,209 posts)
    She is a Woman, ALL rightwingers fear Women and 99% of ALL righty males hate Women.
    100% of all emasculated progressive men fear ... Conservative women.

And most likely their own lefty ones as well!

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

I don't think that attacking Hillary's age is a good strategy for the GOP. Anyways, that's not going to be the official GOP 2016 tactic, if Hillary is the dem nominee. It will be Bengahzi, and of course, Whitewater and Vince Foster.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't think that attacking Hillary's age is a good strategy for the GOP. Anyways, that's not going to be the official GOP 2016 tactic, if Hillary is the dem nominee. It will be Bengahzi, and of course, Whitewater and Vince Foster.
    There are plenty of substantive issues to attack Hillary on. Age and gender are not at all on the list, IMHO.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    It will be Bengahzi, and of course, Whitewater and Vince Foster.
    The first one, absolutely. The other two, not so much (if at all). I think that the most telling thing against Hillary is that her State Department employees were completely befuddled when asked to name ONE achievement by her, during her time as Secretary of State.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I'm chuckling over the statement that she's "too good looking". They are totally delusional. Hillary might be the world's most brilliant woman in the opinion of her supporters, but she isn't way too good looking, never was. I will commend her that it doesn't appear that she's going the Pelosi botox route.

We could just write the script for them, they're so very predictable.
    Yeah. Hillary was a decent enough looking woman back in the day but that ship has long sailed. She's since fallen down the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

She was smacked with an ugly stick at birth. It's been all downhill since then.