1. #1 I had an interesting discussion with a patient yesterday who is a black conservative. 
    link

Oh look, a bouncy. Too bad for him though, some people have pride in themselves and believe that they can succeed and can't be convinced to accept defeat.

That is if this story is real and true.

Star Member Aristus (33,407 posts)

I had an interesting discussion with a patient yesterday who is a black conservative.
    The subject came up when I encouraged my patient (who is homeless) to register for the Affordable Care Act. He was resistant to the idea, he said, because he is a conservative. He doesn't want any Democratic "handouts".

He went on to say that most black people are welfare cheats. He knows, because his whole family, except for him, are welfare cheats.

So, okay. He's good at arguing from the specific to the general. He thinks that people are poor because they don't work. He knows, because see above. His whole family are poor, lazy, shiftless, unemployed takers. So every poor person must be, too. I avoided mentioning the fact that even though he works, and is "pulling himself up by his bootstraps", he is still homeless, and that the blame lies not with poor people who take handouts, but the employers who refuse to pay a living wage.

He would have none of it. He displayed the unassailable self-assurance of someone who has never attempted to see someone else's point of view. Pretty common among right-wingers.

I ended the discussion by pointing out that the ACA would pay for the diagnostic workup his problem requires. And if he wants any of it done at all, it's either the ACA or financial aid, which would be, in his own words " a handout". I don't know what he's going to do, but I do know that every right-wing media personality would give his or her right arm to be able to put this guy on the air to validate their rather cruel outlook.
    Leme (786 posts)
    3. appears to me that

perhaps unintentional.... this is a racist thread. What difference does his race have to do with anything?
    .....and it's DUers to the RESCUE!!1!!11111!!!!!

Star Member ChisolmTrailDem (2,949 posts)
    7. Don't you dare accuse that poster of being, even unintentionally, racist! Come on here two weeks

ago and now you can start inferring a long-time respected member of this community may be racist when we know they are not?

You need to check yourself
    Leme (786 posts)
    14. what part of "perhaps unintentional" do you not understand?

two words... perhaps, unintentional. The man's skin color has zero to do with the story...unless that is the story.
    Star Member ChisolmTrailDem (2,949 posts)
    16. Oh, I understand every word of it. It's an inference you don't get to make since you don't know that

poster, nor do you know the history of the subject on this board.

You owe Aristus an apology for even suggesting such a stupid thing.
    Leme (786 posts)
    23. sorry, when I see things that appear non-racist..and they appear to me

to be faint praise or perhaps racist by unintentional posters.. I will comment.
    -
    I doubt if anyone here is all-knowing about what is or is not racist. Some never get beyond the superficial.
    8. No it's not racist. Black conservatives are relatively rare.

I've never had an in-depth discussion like that before. I thought his outlook worth mentioning. Most opposition to President Obama and his policies are the result of hysterical, seething racism and bigotry. It was interesting to speak with someone whose bigotry was less race-based, and more class-based, instead.

Anyway, racism would be that I hated this patient because of his skin color. I don't hate him. And I don't even necessarily hate his political views. I was just surprised by them, that's all.
    Surprised by his views...........because all black people should think and believe the same...the Democrat way. Sounds racist to me.
    Leme (786 posts)
    20. well, Like I said

and you acknowledge.. this is about him being black.
    -
    That he related his family traits is now ok.
    -
    Because a black man said them.
    -
    " His whole family are poor, lazy, shiftless, unemployed takers."
    LoisB (745 posts)
    26. I am Black - don't see anything racist in the post.
    Of course not./s
    Star Member LadyHawkAZ (5,586 posts)
    5. It fascinates me that theft from a government aid program is always the fault of

the program, rather than the person abusing the program. They would never advocate closing all banks and keeping your money in your socks because bank robbers exist, or banning credit cards because some people commit credit card fraud, but somehow abuse of poverty assistance programs is always the fault of the program's existence. That's how screwed up the message has become. That's how much this country has been taught to hate the poor.
    And if the bank didn't take precautions before the first robbery, then ignored the second robbery and stated that they "expect" to get robbed, and then sympathized with the robbers because they must need that money? Then they fire the guards because "you can't do anything about getting robbed anyway".

But it's NOT the banks fault? And people wouldn't be justified in taking their money out of that bank .... and the government in shutting it down?

Tell me more about how it isn't the fault of the program, the people who administer it and those who don't care since it is "free money" the "rich" are expected to give away to the government.
    10. That's a brilliant way to put it, LHAZ. Thanks!

I tried, a little more clumsily than you, to point out how much people hate "government giveaways" to poor people, while letting the billion-dollar boondoggle of corporate subsidies go unchallenged. He refused to face up to that point.
    Star Member libodem (14,860 posts)
    15. The gentleman is walking contradiction

Poor devil. I feel the same pain for religious, gay, Republicans. Lots of cognitive dissonance going on there. Hope his mind will open.
    Racist, homophobe and religious hater as well.
    Star Member libodem (14,860 posts)
    18. It just might

It is difficult to understand voting against ones self interest. I don't get it.
    Voting against ones self interest="you're stupid for not being greedy and taking others for everything you can get.

I have no beef with someone who accepts money from the government as a way to care for immediate needs as they sincerely work toward their independence, nor those who really do not have any other options, but liberals think everyone should be out for everything they can get "off the backs of" those who do work.

And they are proud of it.

And they are the worst racists around by giving that as an excuse for any and every action.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

According to the poster, the "patient" is the one who brought up race when he said his whole family were welfare cheats and such. Let it go. Not everything requires a response from you.

As far as the guy's refusal to enroll in Obama Care and his reasons for doing so-that's his argument. It's his life. Again, let it go. If you work at some kind of medical facility, your job is to treat him, not convince him his political views are wrong.

Then again, it could just be a bouncy.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

Then again, it could just be a bouncy.

Almost certainly.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Almost certainly.
    Yep. 99.999999998% certainty. Homeless black conservative is waaaay over the top and ER Nurses are experts on ACA, with an error rate of 0%?

Too obvious plus, there have been a number of articles lately about black conservatives and their increasing numbers, albeit slowly.
    Life is hard (D)Ummies. It's even harder when you're stupid.
    -paraphasing John Wayne

With an attitude like that, this black homeless gentleman will become something "Progressives" greatly fear: a black who becomes successful without relying on government.