1. #1 When Fox News Declared War on a Military Family 
    link

Star Member unhappycamper (54,872 posts)

When Fox News Declared War on a Military Family
    http://smirkingchimp.com/thread/eric...ilitary-family

When Fox News Declared War on a Military Family
    by Eric Boehlert | June 5, 2014 - 9:13am

When an emotional Jani and Robert Bergdahl strode into the White House Rose Garden on Saturday to the share the emotional announcement by President Obama that their son, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl would be returning home after being held captive for five years by the Taliban, it's unlikely they could have foreseen that their family would soon be under attack by the right-wing media, or that Robert Bergdahl would be depicted on Fox News as a possible terrorist sympathizer; mocked on national television as he awaited a reunion with his ailing son.

They couldn't have foreseen it because I don't think it's ever happened before. I don't think we've ever seen a dedicated media campaign to not only undermine a returning prisoner of war, but to also cast doubt onto the soldier's family; to portray them as un-American even as they prepare for their reunion.

Instead, Fox News has helped transform the prisoner swap involving Taliban detainees into "an increasingly vicious partisan issue," as Buzzfeed described the Republican decision to go into relentless attack mode, complete with enlisted publicists and strategists, to subvert the return of an American POW.

It's symptomatic of a conservative media mini-mob that now obsessively politicizes everything, and does it all with the knob turned up to 11.
    They couldn't have foreseen it because I don't think it's ever happened before. I don't think we've ever seen a dedicated media campaign to not only undermine a returning prisoner of war, but to also cast doubt onto the soldier's family; to portray them as un-American even as they prepare for their reunion.
    And that's exactly WHY Obama and Bergdahl THOUGHT they could get away with trading a deserter for 5 high level Taliban terrorists and sympathizing with the terrorists without receiving criticism.

They were wrong.

Just like the Democrats thought that if they elected a black man as President that meant that Republicans would not criticize his policies and actions because they would be called "racist".

They were wrong then too.

They were wrong.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Sometimes being used as a Prop has consequences...
    May the FORCE be with you!

I hope Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is being closely watched by Homeland Security for the rest of his life, how can we trust this traitor?

Has Boehlert notived yet the inconvenient fact that Fox News is far from alone in asking challenging questions and covering unpleasant facts (unpleasant to Boehlert) about the Bergdahls? The whole Bergdahl-is-being-swift-boated narrative is collapsing under the weight of the truth the narrative is intended to suppress.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I hope Pvt Bowe Bergdahl is being closely watched by Homeland Security for the rest of his life, how can we trust this traitor?
    Fixed it for you.
    IMHO, he does not deserve the 2 ranks he was given for desertion.
    And, make no mistake: Abandoning your place of duty during a time of war can only be described as Desertion.
    I will not go into his accountablity for the deaths of his fellow (and better) soldiers, attempting to recover him.
    I will also not go into accusations of granting aid and comfort to the enemy.
    There are simply too many allegations that can be raised against this person.

But, we were not there.
    So I can only state my opinion, that based upon the single charge of Desertion, this person should have been returned to the United States of America in irons!
    He should be languishing in a military prison as he awaits his Court Martial.
    I hear that there are a few cells in Gitmo that have recently been vacated...
    Seems somehow poetic to me.

BB
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade