1. #1 Robert Oscar Lopez: It's Personal: Confronting the Academy's Leftism 
    Power CUer
    It's Personal: Confronting the Academy's Leftism

...The Academic Department

Whether it’s science, business administration, or English, it’s roughly the same daily grind.

Imagine having to report to work every day so you can deal with ignorant people who think they’re geniuses.

You show up, and they all talk down to you as if you are a moron, even though you know much more than they do. You try to speak up, politely at first, and eventually not so politely, but it doesn’t matter. They will not let you talk.

If you force your way into the conversation, they will literally ban you from public venues; you will be blocked from listservs, deleted from the department newsletter, and prohibited from getting on meeting agendas. Should those tactics fail, you may be accused of hurting the feelings of some protected group or bullying an innocent Eddie Haskell, so there will be a real gag order placed on you for months while diversity attorneys investigate.

They give each other awards, laugh at each other’s jokes, and carry on blithely as a social club that would be elitist, if it weren’t for the fact that their scholarly acumen doesn’t actually rise much higher than the average blog on the Huffington Post, which as it turns out, some of them write for. Nothing is more ordinary and predictable than HuffPo, Salon, Mother Jones, or The Nation, but don’t tell them that. They’re part of a bustling coterie of brainiacs.

The people you work with hate you because they assume you hate them – not based on any real evidence, but simply based on their presumptions about you because you are different from them – and since they won’t let you talk, you never have a chance to explain yourself.

If you breathe the wrong way, they have a right to feel offended, yet they can insult everything you hold dear and recklessly denounce groups you are affiliated with, and you never have the right to feel offended. Ever. You are the 1%, and they are the 99%. And not in a good way – it’s not like you are the robber baron and they are the powerless masses. It’s more like you are Emmett Till and the office is Money, Mississippi in 1955.

The Social Landscape of the Academic Department

Your colleagues fall into three basic categories.

The Good: Thirty percent are good people who want to do the right thing, but you can’t really reach them because all the other people in the department cloud their view of you like so much fog. Since these are the people who everyone knows are principled, your adversaries will do everything in their power to thwart any real friendships between you and them, lest they see you for who you really are and come to defend you.

The Cowardly: Then there are the 45% who just don’t want any hassles. They may be somewhat nice to you, but once you’ve been labeled as the bad guy, they will avoid you like the plague. You can expect the occasional pleasantry from them, but they will never risk anything to help you, and helping you is always a risk because of the third category.

The Ugly: Lastly, about 25% of the department is composed of unscrupulous sadists. Naturally, they hate you and will never change their minds about you. Almost always they have some terrible past full of suffering that licenses all kinds of professional terrorism against others....

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    OMG!!! This is a perfect description of the CITY of Sarasota and the

place we volunteer every week! Both have been takend over by the Left.

Sarasota County is by far a conservative county but the city of Sarasota

has been taken over by people who fit that article above.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Sounds right. The DUmp critters fall under the "Ugly" 25 %.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

What I find the most revolting is how the libs seem they have the God given right to trash the opinions, the very being, of people on the right. In my personal life, I don't get into arguments with people---unless they start them. I don't act as if I'm high and mighty and dump on those who think differently. I don't think those bleeding heart libs are all that kind. Maybe that's why they call it the DUmp--for their tendency to trash everyone that's not walking in lockstep with them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

In reading this and SLW's other post - you're missing the boat for where you are. You need to apply the "Bless your little heart" line to them liberally (pun intended) - Every time they throw how an insult or meaningless punch line, smile broadly and say, with meaning,

"Well Bless your little heart!"

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    In reading this and SLW's other post - you're missing the boat for where you are. You need to apply the "Bless your little heart" line to them liberally (pun intended) - Every time they throw how an insult or meaningless punch line, smile broadly and say, with meaning,

"Well Bless your little heart!"
    The meaning of, "Bless your heart," some folks from TX gave my kids seems appropriate, and I didn't hear it mentioned in either video: "Bless your heart" = "You idiot!"

Add insult to the injury - Bless your heart, poor thang.....
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Good article.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Good article.
    This guy has been through hell at Cal State Northridge. He's a tenured professor, but only recently and, I believe, only because the school was afraid of a well-funded lawsuit. The department has him teaching online and treats him like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    This guy has been through hell at Cal State Northridge. He's a tenured professor, but only recently and, I believe, only because the school was afraid of a well-funded lawsuit. The department has him teaching online and treats him like crap.
    What do you expect from the all inclusive, tolerant, non-bigotted leftist.