Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Judge Rules Teacher Tenure Rules Are Unconstitutional 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Via NRO:

A judge in Los Angeles ruled Tuesday that public school teacher tenure rules are unconstitutional, a stunning reversal that could pave the way for broad changes to public education monopolies all over the country.

In a case brought by nine students in the Los Angeles Unified School District, L.A. County Superior Court Judge Rolf M. Treu ruled that “both students and teachers are unfairly, unnecessarily, and for no legally cognizable reason (let alone a compelling one), disadvantaged by the current Permanent Employment Statute.”
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Good news coming out of LA, of all places. Amazing, the kids might finally have a chance. Those teachers who are no longer qualified might not be able to hide behind tenure. But I'm sure there will be endless appeals. Just maybe the bad guys have pushed things so far that that old pendulum will start swinging the other way.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Power CUer
    Part of the problem is that working conditions in those poorer schools are so bad that teachers don't want to be there. The good ones get transfers when they can. The bad condition of the buildings, the dangerous high school students/gang members, the lack of money and supplies, and the ill-prepared children--many of whom drop out at 16--make these places murder to teach in.

I think tenure/seniority matters when it comes to budget-cut layoffs and investing in teachers' pensions, but that's about it. I had mostly good teachers in my K-12 years, but the few bad ones were people who were able to hide behind tenure and avoid discipline for some very serious misbehavior. I also had a German teacher who was more than qualified in the academic sense, had some serious mental health issues, and the school needed to make her either get some help or retire.

My sister's kids have had similar experiences so far in their district, which is also one of the better ones in the state. Teachers in need of firing for either incompetence or misbehavior frequently are able to hide behind their tenure.

Color me shocked that a judge did this!

How do teachers that can't read even get hired?

Power CUer
    This blog has been following the entire debate.

http://dianeravitch.net/

...The theory behind the case–as I see it–is that low test scores are caused by bad teachers. Get rid of the bad teachers, replace them with average teachers, and all students will get high test scores. You might call it the judicial version of No Child Left Behind–that is, pull the right policy levers–say, testing and accountability–and every single child in America will be proficient by 2014. Congress should hang its collective head in shame for having passed that ridiculous law, yet it still sits on the books as the scorned, ineffective, toxic law of the land.

You might also say that Judge Treu was regurgitating the unproven claims behind Race to the Top, specifically that using test scores to evaluate teachers will make it possible to weed out “bad teachers,” recruit and reward top teachers, and test scores will rise to the top. Given this theory, a concept like tenure (due process) slows down the effort to fire those “grossly ineffective” teachers and delays the day when every student is proficient.

Relying on Chetty and Kane, Judge Treu is quite certain that the theory of universal proficiency is correct. Thus, in his thinking, it becomes a matter of urgency to eliminate tenure, seniority, and any other legal protection for teachers, leaving principals free to fire them promptly, without delay or hindrance.

Set aside for the moment that this decision lacks any evidentiary basis. Another judge might have heard the same parade of witnesses and reached a different conclusion....

(Kane works for Bill Gates)
    Last edited by Elspeth; 06-11-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Power CUer
    Lots of Obama liberals backed this case. Obama's Wall Street donors will be cleaning up.

http://dianeravitch.net/2014/02/11/w...in-california/

...Until now, all we knew was that the case was bankrolled by a Silicon Valley entrepreneur named David Welch.

That much is true, but Welch also has an advisory board that includes Russlyn Ali, who served as an assistant secretary to Arne Duncan, now working for the supposedly liberal Education Trust; and even more disturbing, Ted Mitchell of NewSchools Venture Fund, who was nominated by President Obama to be the #2 official in the U.S. Department of Education. Also on the board is Ben Austin of Parent Revolution....

Obama's Education Secretary, Arne Duncan, backs the ruling.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by thundley4 View Post
    Obama's Education Secretary, Arne Duncan, backs the ruling.
    That's because this isn't about kids. It's about Obama's buddies making lots of money. This is one ruling where Obama and RINO Jeb Bush are in absolute sinc. That one reason I distrust it so much. All the wrong people are happy about it.