Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 The Modern Campus Goes After Its Christians 
    The Modern Campus Goes After Its Christians
    http://www.mindingthecampus.com/orig...s_after_i.html

Is it reasonable for a university to insist that campus Christian groups accept non-Christian or anti-Christian students as group leaders? Ask a hundred ordinary Americans and you would very likely get 99 or 100 noes. Ask the same question at our most politically correct colleges and universities, though, and you'd get a different answer. Because of campus anti-discrimination codes, all campus groups must accept all candidates for leadership--a Democratic club must allow a Republican, a Jewish group must allow a Holocaust denier, a science group must accept a flat-earther and a Muslim group must accept a leader who believes in Christianity, animism, or voodoo.

On the modern campus, this system is considered rational. Bowdoin College in Maine has just disenfranchised its Christian Fellowship, a campus presence of more than 40 years, denying recognition to the group, disabling key cards of longtime volunteer advisers, and forbidding use of campus space and even bulletin boards by the group. Responding to pressure from gay students, the college insists that the Christian group allow candidacy of gay leaders. The group says it will gladly allow gay members but not leaders, because leaders must uphold the group's religious doctrine. In effect, Bowdoin is insisting that the Christian group either get off campus or accept a system under which the beliefs of the group could be distorted or overthrown by non-believers. "It would compromise our ability to be who we are as Christians if we can't hold our leaders to some sort of doctrinal standard," said Zackary Suhr, who just graduated from Bowdoin. Robert B. Gregory, a lawyer and minister who with his wife Sim serves as a volunteer leader of the Christian group, put it more simply: "We now have Bowdoin College defining Christianity."

"No one, in my experience, has ever come to me or Sim and said, 'you mistreated me,'" Gregory said. "We've had candid discussions about what the scriptures say about homosexuality. All of those students have told me they respect the way Sim and I address those issues. All we try to do is teach the scriptures," he said.

Carroll Conley, executive director for the Christian Civic League of Maine, said Bowdoin's expulsion of the Gregorys is yet another example of the hostility toward religious sentiment prevalent in this country.

"This is a perfect example of intolerance toward people of faith who hold positions contrary to popular culture," said Conley. "Religious freedom is fast becoming a privilege afforded only to those who bow down to the agenda of political correctness rather than the fundamental right our Founding Fathers so vehemently protected."

The primary lesson here is not that universities are torn between freedom of religion and anti-bias rules. Rather the lesson is that administrators are willing to respond to a powerful campus group, gay students, at the expense of one that is weaker and usually disfavored on campus. Though written in the bland language of brotherhood, antidiscrimination laws give critics of private groups "a public hammer with which to beat groups they oppose," Richard Epstein, professor of law at the University of Chicago said in 2007. They also provide a way for outsiders to reach into a dissenting group to determine its membership, policies, and officers.

Using a verbal screen of "diversity," "fairness," and "nondiscrimination," university officials delegitimize religion by substituting campus orthodoxy for religious principles. Even if a university feels torn, its antidiscrimination rules shouldn't trump the First Amendment's protection of freedom of religion, association, and speech. Antidiscrimination laws are in fact becoming a threat to these freedoms.

This was written about long ago people.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    ???

That doesn't sound right at all. Democrat groups have to have a Republican leader and Science clubs must have a flat earth person? Seems far out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    That doesn't sound right at all. Democrat groups have to have a Republican leader and Science clubs must have a flat earth person? Seems far out there.
    The article is from "Minding the Campus" which is a website written mostly by academics who don't like what they see around them. I tend to trust the articles there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    ???
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you really haven't read the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you really haven't read the Bible.
    And you'd fall off that limb, NJ.

Here's your original post:

Without punctuation, the sentence reads this way:

This.........-was written.........- about.........long-ago-people.
    Subj.........-Verb...................-Prep...........Noun Phrase/Direct Object

I didn't know what "long ago people" were or what had been written about "long ago people." Hence the question marks.

I can now infer from your comment about the Bible that the sentence should be punctuated this way:

This was written about long ago, people.

"People" would be a form of direct address (the vocative) referring to us, as in "you people." The sentence itself would then be:

This.....was written.....about...........................long ago.....(you) people
    Subj.....Verb..............Dangling Preposition...... Adverb.......Vocative

Before you accuse someone of not being a Bible-reading Christian, look at the rod in your own eye and make sure to take it out so you can catch your mistakes.

Sometimes being clear is simpler, NJCF. And if your eschatological perspective is Pre-Mil Pre-Trib (as seems possible), it's good to remember that that view is not universal among faithful Christians.

I'd love to see the present mess in academia (the current oppression/suppression of Christians is part of a much larger oppressive/suppressive context). But academia in its present form is not an idol to me. I'd welcome alternatives that bypass or devastate the relevance of current PC colleges and universities. Frankly, given how slow academia is likely to be in changing its PCness, I think alternatives critically necessary.

FIRE is a similarly minded organization.

Keep in mind that unilateral freedom is not freedom, whether the ones doing the suppression are liberal or conservative.

I'm a Christian who is a liberal, but this kind of thing drives me crazy. Religious issues should be debated in higher education, not this kind of shutting down of free speech. It robs students of not just their free speech rights, but of a quality education- one that produces young adults who can defend their beliefs, who can respect the rights of those with whom they disagree, and who can function in a diverse society and workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    And you'd fall off that limb, NJ.

Here's your original post:

Without punctuation, the sentence reads this way:

This.........-was written.........- about.........long-ago-people.
    Subj.........-Verb...................-Prep...........Noun Phrase/Direct Object

I didn't know what "long ago people" were or what had been written about "long ago people." Hence the question marks.

I can now infer from your comment about the Bible that the sentence should be punctuated this way:

This was written about long ago, people.

"People" would be a form of direct address (the vocative) referring to us, as in "you people." The sentence itself would then be:

This.....was written.....about...........................long ago.....(you) people
    Subj.....Verb..............Dangling Preposition...... Adverb.......Vocative

Before you accuse someone of not being a Bible-reading Christian, look at the rod in your own eye and make sure to take it out so you can catch your mistakes.
    You can take this post and stick it somewhere dark and damp. I suppose you're response of "????" was done in a respectful way.