Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    You can take this post and stick it somewhere dark and damp. I suppose you're response of "????" was done in a respectful way.
    I'm going to say it was because without proper punctuation you're post could be two very different statements.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,930
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm going to say it was because without proper punctuation you're post could be two very different statements.
    Thanks, JB. It was the ambiguity of the post that was the problem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Thanks, JB. It was the ambiguity of the post that was the problem.
    You have to admit, Elspeth, your post of "????" was questionable. Especially the tine of your "????". A more respectful way to ask what he meant would have been, "????". Surely you can see my point?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,930
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    You have to admit, Elspeth, your post of "????" was questionable. Especially the tine of your "????". A more respectful way to ask what he meant would have been, "????". Surely you can see my point?
    Your point seems to be that some sort of disrespect was intended and/or conveyed by a point of punctuation. I personally don't take question marks that way and am mildly surprised at any interpretation in that vein. Certainly no disrespect of NJ was intended.

    NJ has watched me on this board for quite some time. Even during my worst debates with the ever deceptive Novaheart, I was never personally insulting. I didn't call names nor purposely disrespect Nova, even when he was hideously and viscerally abusive of me. I simply don't roll that way. I tore Nova's arguments to shreds but not him personally. (You can check some of those old threads if you wish.)

    The "????" to NJ was shorthand on a busy day. I give NJ some latitude for being upset because he has a difficult job with inmates who, I imagine, are continuously disrespectful and abusive. I couldn't do his job and I appreciate that he is willing to do it. However, NJ's day-to-day dealings with inmates may color his interactions with people outside the prison system. I believe he projects some of that onto those of us he deals with. That may be why his initial reaction to my "????" was to go after me personally (as never having read the Bible) rather than to ask what I meant or to check what he himself posted.

    The issue was, of course, ambiguity as I have outlined earlier on this thread. However, it seems that the question mark response carried some ambiguity of its own, albeit unintentional. One thing we can all learn from this is that what we post may be misunderstood and that, instead of reacting defensively, we should give each other the benefit of the doubt.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Your point seems to be that some sort of disrespect was intended and/or conveyed by a point of punctuation. I personally don't take question marks that way and am mildly surprised at any interpretation in that vein. Certainly no disrespect of NJ was intended.

    NJ has watched me on this board for quite some time. Even during my worst debates with the ever deceptive Novaheart, I was never personally insulting. I didn't call names nor purposely disrespect Nova, even when he was hideously and viscerally abusive of me. I simply don't roll that way. I tore Nova's arguments to shreds but not him personally. (You can check some of those old threads if you wish.)

    The "????" to NJ was shorthand on a busy day. I give NJ some latitude for being upset because he has a difficult job with inmates who, I imagine, are continuously disrespectful and abusive. I couldn't do his job and I appreciate that he is willing to do it. However, NJ's day-to-day dealings with inmates may color his interactions with people outside the prison system. I believe he projects some of that onto those of us he deals with. That may be why his initial reaction to my "????" was to go after me personally (as never having read the Bible) rather than to ask what I meant or to check what he himself posted.

    The issue was, of course, ambiguity as I have outlined earlier on this thread. However, it seems that the question mark response carried some ambiguity of its own, albeit unintentional. One thing we can all learn from this is that what we post may be misunderstood and that, instead of reacting defensively, we should give each other the benefit of the doubt.
    Looks like I should have used Satire "tags". Pretty much nothing in that post was meant literally. I'm fairly new here, so I guess being totally misunderstood is part of that territory. Not complaining, just part of explaining.

    The typo of "tine" instead of "tone" may not have helped, either.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,749
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm going to say it was because without proper punctuation you're post could be two very different statements.
    Eeeeeeeek!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    You have to admit, Elspeth, your post of "????" was questionable. Especially the tine of your "????". A more respectful way to ask what he meant would have been, "????". Surely you can see my point?
    Translation: NJCF, while "????" could have multiple meanings, the most likely by far is some variant of, "I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain further?" It would have been simpler to explain your meaning.

    Until y'all (ya'll) get used to me (to the degree that's possible), I'll either be more literal or [Sarcasm] use Sarcasm tags [/Sarcasm].
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Drive-by Poster ABC in Georgia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,839
    Oh my! I know is not my place to say it, but ...

    Being neither an admin., nor even a mod in here, will anyway!

    It is sad to see us (myself included at times) fighting among ourselves, for niggling reasons.

    I started posting on the internet back in 1997 ... didn't have many 'emoticons' back in those days, which do come in handy for clarity, I must admit ...

    And do recall a good deal of hurt feelings due to misunderstandings between members, and I once called it the "inevitable roller-coaster effect" of posting online.

    One day you're up ... the next you're down, all due in most cases to miscommunications for whatever the reasons.

    Come on guys, let's try not to get tangled up in the "small stuff" we have enough of all the political shenanigans going on these days to deal with, do we not?

    (Stepping down from my soapbox, once again) *blush*

    ~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 06-14-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Oh my! I know is not my place to say it, but ...

    Being neither an admin., nor even a mod in here, will anyway!

    It is sad to see us (myself included at times) fighting among ourselves, for niggling reasons.

    I started posting on the internet back in 1997 ... didn't have many 'emoticons' back in those days, which do come in handy for clarity, I must admit ...

    And do recall a good deal of hurt feelings due to misunderstandings between members, and I once called it the "inevitable roller-coaster effect" of posting online.

    One day you're up ... the next you're down, all due in most cases to miscommunications for whatever the reasons.

    Come on guys, let's try not to get tangled up in the "small stuff" we have enough of all the political shenanigans going on these days to deal with, do we not?

    (Stepping down from my soapbox, once again) *blush*

    ~ ABC
    Indeed! Sometimes people post something with a certain "tone of voice" in their minds, but some one else doesn't "hear" it that way. BTDT, got drawersful of T-shirts of both varieties. My first discussion site participation was also in 1997, a homeschooling and a naval history site; my first news/politics site was in 1998. Only the latter is still around, though it changed from conservative to liberal some time during Bush's Presidency.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Eeeeeeeek!
    I was wondering if that was going to be spotted. Good job Lanie. Let's boink.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •