1. #1 Biking the TransAm through Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas - sure does not look like a rec 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    OMG!!!

Thu Jun 12, 2014, 03:28 PM
    peacebird

Biking the TransAm through Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas - sure does not look like a recovering economy

We are finding lots of the motels/minimarts listed on the maps are closed. Many downtowns (which clearly were gorgeous back in the day) are mostly ghosttowns now.

We just got back from walking over to a mall to see if we could find a bookstore - almost 2/3rds of the stores were closed. And even tho it was lunchtime (summer) there were maybe 20 - 30 people shopping, including us?

Is this what you see where you are too?

SILENCE!!!! All is supposed to be well!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

And all the while blissfully unaware of why it's like that.

Who still has bookstores?

Here in Silicon Valley, things are OK, but not thriving or booming. Were Silicon Valley booming my 53-mile round trip commute would be miserable. And I know that from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Who still has bookstores?

We still have some Barnes and Noble stores left in metro Detroit. They closed the Royal Oak store, but they were stupid to put a store there to begin with-there was already one about 6 miles away. The other one has a parking lot, downtown Royal Oak is all paid parking.

We have the most awesome used book store in the midwest-John King books in downtown Detroit. It is a 4 story warehouse full of books. They buy from estate sales and libraries, which gives them a really unique selection of books. I've found antique poetry books, cheap library versions of Shakespeare plays, antique post cards-it's not somewhere to go on a hot day, though, as there is no a/c on the upper floors.

Grand Rapids still has their local bookstore-Schuler books. They also have Baker Books, which is a large Christian bookstore (and publisher), that also has a used book section.

I still miss Borders, though. They were our local bookstore around here. They got too big too fast.

B & N closed 2 of its 4 stores fairly near me. One was replaced by a Sports Basement (a local chain, sort of like Costco for sports equipment), which also took over adjacent space that had been a Blockbuster (and more or less unused since it closed). The other closed store, the mall did some significant remodelling, and I haven't looked to see what's in its place.

We had a Borders in my town, and we lived about a mile from it. It closed, we moved four miles away, and a mattress seller moved into the old space.

It's coal country, pizzabird. Think there might be a connection?

Obamanomics
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg