1. #1 Declassified report: Two nuclear bombs nearly detonated in North Carolina 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Yikes!

By Emma Lacey-Bordeaux, CNN
    updated 7:58 PM EDT, Thu June 12, 2014

(CNN) -- On a January night in 1961, a U.S. Air Force bomber broke in half while flying over eastern North Carolina. From the belly of the B-52 fell two bombs -- two nuclear bombs that hit the ground near the city of Goldsboro.

A disaster worse than the devastation wrought in Hiroshima and Nagasaki could have befallen the United States that night. But it didn't, thanks to a series of fortunate missteps.

Declassified documents that the National Security Archive released this week offered new details about the incident. The blaring headline read: "Multi-Megaton Bomb Was Virtually 'Armed' When It Crashed to Earth."

I loved this part the most...

"I hit some trees. I had a fix on some lights and started walking."

The MK39 bombs weighed 10,000 pounds and their explosive yield was 3.8 megatons. Compare that to the bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki: They were 0.01 and 0.02 megatons.

But Rardin didn't know then what a catastrophe had been avoided.

"My biggest difficulty getting back was the various and sundry dogs I encountered on the road."

May the FORCE be with you!

One was dropped on an S.C. farm house.....and another one is still lost in the Atlantic right off our coast, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJeb View Post
    One was dropped on an S.C. farm house.....and another one is still lost in the Atlantic right off our coast, I believe.
    If you're talking about the one off-shore from Savannah, GA, that was a whole different incident, and in-flight emergency on a B47 that dumped it to make an emergency landing at Hunter AAF. There's a group of guys, mostly retired USAF, who are still working away at trying to find that one so it can be secured. There's deep layer of mud and sand bottom where it went, though, so it's pretty likely it won't ever be located with current technology.

While it's unclear how frequently these types of accidents have occurred, the Defense Department has disclosed 32 accidents involving nuclear weapons between 1950 and 1980.
    Crap!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    If you're talking about the one off-shore from Savannah, GA, that was a whole different incident, and in-flight emergency on a B47 that dumped it to make an emergency landing at Hunter AAF. There's a group of guys, mostly retired USAF, who are still working away at trying to find that one so it can be secured. There's deep layer of mud and sand bottom where it went, though, so it's pretty likely it won't ever be located with current technology.

Yeah, there was a program, maybe the Discovery Channel had it, all about

the guys still looking for that one.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Crap!
    Far from all 32 lost a device, some were just left beside the road for a day ------ or a week.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.