1. #1 Dr. Manny: Pregnant women should pay attention to link between pesticides, autism 
    It seems as if the evidence suggesting a link between environmental toxins and autism keeps growing stronger. The latest study, published today in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives, revealed that the children of mothers exposed to organophosphates – a type of pesticide – were 60 percent more likely to be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) compared to children born to mothers not exposed to the chemical.

As a scientist, this type of research demonstrates an emerging need to look at how chemicals in the environment are affecting our bodies.

ADVERTISEMENT
    ADVERTISEMENT

Now, critics may say, “Dr. Manny, chemicals have been around for years!”

I would plainly disagree with that. Over the past 25 years, there has been an explosion in industrial globalization. On top of that, the substantial growth of the human population has created an increased demand for food that is cheap – but also in perfect and pristine condition.

When you go to a supermarket in the U.S. and look at the produce section, you see a rainbow of colors and unnaturally super-sized fruits and vegetables. Sometimes, they even look like wax figures! If you go to the poultry section, you see chickens that are as big as Arnold Schwarzenegger. These massive, perfectly-formed foods don’t sprout up naturally. They exist because of chemicals; pesticides allow vegetables to grow to mammoth proportions, while hormones and antibiotics pump up poultry to supernatural sizes.
    link

I can believe this a lot easier than fluoride in the water. Without it, my cavities explode. I have to use an Rx toothpaste when the water's not treated.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

This might be a possible link to autism, but not sure if it's the only answer. Possibly a factor in the huge explosion of this spectrum is the increased knowledge of the signs. Probably this has been around for a long time, but the kids, then adults, were simply thought of as odd or eccentric.

I hope that they keep up with the research and see if autism can be stopped dead in its tracks.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    This might be a possible link to autism, but not sure if it's the only answer. Possibly a factor in the huge explosion of this spectrum is the increased knowledge of the signs. Probably this has been around for a long time, but the kids, then adults, were simply thought of as odd or eccentric.

I hope that they keep up with the research and see if autism can be stopped dead in its tracks.

I think in the past, low-functioning autistic kids were diagnosed with mental retardation. The ones who could function most of the time in school were considered eccentric, or maybe even diagnosed with something like schizophrenia, which is a more broad diagnosis than most people think it is.

I love working with autistic kids, though. They hate bs and usually know what they want in life. They just sometimes need help learning how to get it without scaring or pissing off the rest of society.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think in the past, low-functioning autistic kids were diagnosed with mental retardation. The ones who could function most of the time in school were considered eccentric, or maybe even diagnosed with something like schizophrenia, which is a more broad diagnosis than most people think it is.

I love working with autistic kids, though. They hate bs and usually know what they want in life. They just sometimes need help learning how to get it without scaring or pissing off the rest of society.
    There's a little autistic girl in my life, asperger's, who is one of my favorite children. She was diagnosed early and has much love and support. She is one of the most polite young ladies I've ever met, but had a ton of help from early on so she could relate to people and have empathy. I just worry about her as she gets older. Kids can be so cruel to those not fitting into their preordained mold.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    There's a little autistic girl in my life, asperger's, who is one of my favorite children. She was diagnosed early and has much love and support. She is one of the most polite young ladies I've ever met, but had a ton of help from early on so she could relate to people and have empathy. I just worry about her as she gets older. Kids can be so cruel to those not fitting into their preordained mold.

They say Edison was probably a high-functioning autistic. Or at least they do when they are not claiming he had ADHD. He was a kid who definitely didn't fit in with others, yet look at what he became.

Will my posting in this forum set off alarms?

A little more seriously, have the Autism Alarmists moved on from Jenny McCarthy and her anti-vaccination crusade? Let the alarmists prove causation! Or at least show they believe their alarmism by refusing to eat food grown anywhere in the world, since pesticides are utterly pervasive. "Pesticide free" really means that the residue is so slight that the test performed couldn't detect what was there.

There shouldn't be any problem with posting in here.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post

Ya hafta come in here to get sammiches!
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post

A little more seriously, have the Autism Alarmists moved on from Jenny McCarthy and her anti-vaccination crusade? Let the alarmists prove causation! Or at least show they believe their alarmism by refusing to eat food grown anywhere in the world, since pesticides are utterly pervasive. "Pesticide free" really means that the residue is so slight that the test performed couldn't detect what was there.
    I personally don't believe that autism has some kind of exterior cause like vaccinations or pesticides. Most people have the ability to filter external stimuli by a certain age. Our brains interpret the things that we perceive with our senses. Somewhere down the line, someone who is autistic either completely lacks the ability to prioritize the messages sent to the brain by the senses (in a very limited autistic person), or the way the brain processes those messages is different from the average to a degree that affects that person's ability to communicate with others (to varying degrees).

I guess that doesn't mean there isn't some kind of causal factor like a chemical, but I'm thinking it's a genetic thing. Most of the autistic kids I worked with over the years had other relatives with autism-either cousins or distant cousins, or an aunt/uncle.