1. #1 Bean-bag rounds kill Chicago World War II veteran John Wrana 
    Bean-bag rounds kill Chicago World War II veteran John Wrana after he refused trip to

hospital

Fatal resistance ... John Wrana Jr, who was allegedly shot by police after refusing to be taken to hospital. Picture: Wrana gamily handout. Source: Supplied

A 95-YEAR-old World War II veteran was killed after repeatedly being shot with beanbag rounds by Chicago police attempting to drag him to hospital, a court has been told.

The stepdaughter of John Wrana Jr has filed a lawsuit against the six officers involved in the incident which took place in July last year.
    The Courthouse News Service reports officers had been summoned via a 911 call to the Park Forest Assisted Living Center to help remove Wrana after he refused to be taken to hospital for treatment for a urinary tract infection.
    The complaint states the officers had been unable to persuade the veteran to leave his personal room. After conferring in the hall, the six men decided to take him by force.
    In the fraca that resulted, “five rounds of bean bag cartridges from a 12 gauge shotgun within a distance of approximately only six to eight feet from Mr Wrana, far less than the distance allowed for discharging that shotgun, and, consequently, savagely wounding and killing Mr Wrana,” the court document reads.
    more>http://www.news.com.au/world/beanbag...-1226964824962

Sad, extremely unnecessary and sad.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

These are Rahm Emmanuel's brown shirts so expect nothing to be done. I wish the Chicago police treated the plethora of gang members in this same way.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Is there any chance it was suicide by police, and the police really thought that the bean bags were a safe response to the situation?

The old guy may have thought his condition was worse than the reality of it, and pushed the situation.

If they were firing it closer than required, it's on the police. I doubt if it was suicide by cop---probably more that if he had the urinary tract infection, he could have been totally out of it and delusional. I'm wondering why those people in the assisted living didn't take a more humane approach and call the doctor. I don't think the police should have been called. I doubt if the old guy was rampaging through the nursing home.

My mother would get in states at the nursing home where I'd get a call that she had closed the door and refused to get her hair washed, didn't want to go to the salon. They simply called me, I'd call her back and tell her to listen. Problem solved.

This death was unnecessary. It's the equivalent of calling 911 because the drive through hamburger joint didn't give them the right burger.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    If they were firing it closer than required, it's on the police. I doubt if it was suicide by cop---probably more that if he had the urinary tract infection, he could have been totally out of it and delusional. I'm wondering why those people in the assisted living didn't take a more humane approach and call the doctor. I don't think the police should have been called. I doubt if the old guy was rampaging through the nursing home.

My mother would get in states at the nursing home where I'd get a call that she had closed the door and refused to get her hair washed, didn't want to go to the salon. They simply called me, I'd call her back and tell her to listen. Problem solved.

This death was unnecessary. It's the equivalent of calling 911 because the drive through hamburger joint didn't give them the right burger.

One of my grandmas loved being in the nursing home (except, as she complained to me, she didn't get to sleep with grandpa anymore). The other hated it, and basically willed herself to death over a 6 month period.

I agree with you that the death was unnecessary, but I also know cops don't always receive the training they need to deal with crisis situations. I'm sure there are a lot of angles to be investigated-the cops involved, the equipment used, and so on. There is a part of me that feels badly for cops when they kill someone, whatever the circumstances-that cop didn't start his shift that day thinking this was going to happen.

The police have been doing this more and more lately: responding with force when the situation calls for an experienced mental health practitioner. There are many stories like this that are emerging, often with the elderly or young bipolar or psychotic people. The cops know how to do one thing: subdue with force. They should not be sent to deal with highly specialized mental health situations.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that this "assisted living" place had sub-par staff. PBS had an expose of one such company that made money for its stockholders by skimping on the staff: the company hired cheap, unskilled labor in all of its assisted living facilities. The company was able to do this because of holes in the law: real nursing homes are required by law to have skilled staff but "assisted living" doesn't fall under the same laws as nursing homes and their choice of staff is often unregulated. In addition, these "assisted living" places are not supposed to take the truly ill or dementia patients, but they often do because they have to "get the numbers up."

When you have unskilled staff, they have nowhere to turn but the cops, and the cops are not social workers or mental health professionals. They respond with force, not persuasion.