Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know if there is a safe place in South America, but there are ways to minimize risks. Go with a tour group through a legitimate company with a good track record-there are tours that go to Machu Pichu, for example, if you are physically up for the climb.

I say let's have the next World Cup in Detroit. At least DPD has the MSP to back them up. Not to mention the federal law enforcement that would also be present-Homeland Security, FBI, etc. At least there'd be some sports teams worth cheering for at Ford Field for a change.
    It's sad that we have to go on a tour group to see sites, but you're right. There's so much more to a place than what's in the brochures.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know if there is a safe place in South America, but there are ways to minimize risks. Go with a tour group through a legitimate company with a good track record-there are tours that go to Machu Pichu, for example, if you are physically up for the climb.

I say let's have the next World Cup in Detroit. At least DPD has the MSP to back them up. Not to mention the federal law enforcement that would also be present-Homeland Security, FBI, etc. At least there'd be some sports teams worth cheering for at Ford Field for a change.
    It isn't just South America. Central America, the Caribbean are all dangerous places to visit. Jamaica is horrible outside of the resort areas. Hell, Atlantic City is rough in a lot of places. Now you know why I want to go camping.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    And remember, the Olympics will be in Rio in 2016. That ought to be interesting.
    Based on this I have always thought Rio was the greatest place ever.........I'm heart broken

Last edited by RobJohnson; 06-25-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Rio????

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    It isn't just South America. Central America, the Caribbean are all dangerous places to visit. Jamaica is horrible outside of the resort areas. Hell, Atlantic City is rough in a lot of places. Now you know why I want to go camping.

There are some great places to go camping in Michigan, and you wouldn't even have to go to Detroit. West Michigan is beautiful, the beaches are awesome and the state parks have good campgrounds in places like Holland, St. Joseph, Grand Haven, or Traverse City. They are all pretty conservative, too, except the last one. The Holland area is particularly conservative, being filled with the Dutch Reformed. Grand Rapids is a nice city to visit, too, and although it's not as conservative as it used to be, it's not exactly liberal, either.

If you really want to go far, I hear the Upper Penninsula still has a lot of unspoiled wilderness areas.