Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 Uganda says U.S. sanctions over anti-gay law hurt its most vulnerable citizens 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    2,151
    link

    The Obama world. Sanctions on a majority Christian nation that makes homosexuality illegal with the penalty being jail. No sanctions - but lots of financial aid - on Muslim nations that outright execute homosexuals.

    DonViejo (9,864 posts)

    Uganda says U.S. sanctions over anti-gay law hurt its most vulnerable citizens

    By Agence France-Presse
    Monday, June 23, 2014 8:15 EDT

    Uganda warned on Monday that US sanctions slapped on the country over its tough anti-gay laws would harm the “most vulnerable” in the country.

    Washington last week froze some aid programmes, as well as cancelling military air exercises and barring entry to the US for specific Ugandan officials involved in “human rights abuses”, including against the gay community.

    Signed by President Yoweri Museveni in February, the law calls for “repeat homosexuals” to be jailed for life, outlaws the promotion of homosexuality and obliges Ugandans to denounce gays to the authorities.

    “Uganda considers this announcement by the US regrettable as some of the halted funding and programmes in Uganda are those that will affect the most vulnerable people that the US government purports to support and aims to protect,” the foreign affairs ministry said in statement.

    more
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/2...able-citizens/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    To be fair, I don't think you'll see a lot of liberals advocating financial aid toward certain countries. I think the exception is the Palestinians because they're suuuuuuch a big group of victims. You won't see people advocating giving help to Saudi Arabia or Iran though.

    I agree that stopping financial aid is hurting Uganda's most vulnerable citizens, but so is their law. It's discouraging people who are HIV positive from seeking help.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,991
    Uganda is violating the human rights of gay citizens. If they want to continue to do so, they can do so without money from the US government.



    American churches are free to continue contributing to programs and pograms in Uganda.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,814
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Uganda is violating the human rights of gay citizens. If they want to continue to do so, they can do so without money from the US government.



    American churches are free to continue contributing to programs and pograms in Uganda.
    It's nice that the libs are so intent on protecting the human rights of gay citizens in other countries. What would be even nicer would be their speaking out on the slaughter of Christians throughout the Muslim world. But that would take courage and principles.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,991
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    It's nice that the libs are so intent on protecting the human rights of gay citizens in other countries. What would be even nicer would be their speaking out on the slaughter of Christians throughout the Muslim world. But that would take courage and principles.

    Well, there is the practical nature of being able to actually do something about the situation in Uganda. The US/UN/Western civilization at large has the ability to affect their funding, since they don't have the ability to finance their own needs as a nation.

    The only way to stop the slaughter of Christians in Muslim nations is to invade every single one of them, occupy them for decades, and kill as many Muslims as possible in the process. I don't know how brave that level of stupidity is, but it's basically what Ann Coulter suggested we do following 9-11. Recognizing this is not unprincipled or cowardly, it's recognizing reality. The only other way is to develop alternatives to oil from the Middle East, so that we can better impose economic sanctions on nations for engaging in slaughters of their civilians.

    I don't understand why you feel standing up for one group of people who are being mistreated is somehow an affront to another group who is being mistreated in a different country. Uganda is a pretty poor, third world country. I'm pretty sure that sentencing a gay person to 11 years in prison in that country is as much of a death sentence as a man will get in Saudia Arabia if he was raised Muslim and converts to Christianity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,814
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Well, there is the practical nature of being able to actually do something about the situation in Uganda. The US/UN/Western civilization at large has the ability to affect their funding, since they don't have the ability to finance their own needs as a nation.

    The only way to stop the slaughter of Christians in Muslim nations is to invade every single one of them, occupy them for decades, and kill as many Muslims as possible in the process. I don't know how brave that level of stupidity is, but it's basically what Ann Coulter suggested we do following 9-11. Recognizing this is not unprincipled or cowardly, it's recognizing reality. The only other way is to develop alternatives to oil from the Middle East, so that we can better impose economic sanctions on nations for engaging in slaughters of their civilians.

    I don't understand why you feel standing up for one group of people who are being mistreated is somehow an affront to another group who is being mistreated in a different country. Uganda is a pretty poor, third world country. I'm pretty sure that sentencing a gay person to 11 years in prison in that country is as much of a death sentence as a man will get in Saudia Arabia if he was raised Muslim and converts to Christianity.
    To answer the first point that I bolded. The administration has dithered again, not approved the Keystone pipeline. The Canadians are now building it in another direction--west, where the oil will be shipped to the west coast on its way to China. Then there is that little thing like putting most of the coal companies out of business. We need to ramp up our energy independence from the Mideast, but it isn't happening with Obama. His green boondoggles aren't going anywhere--think Solyndra and the millions directed to his cronies that went no where--other than their pockets.

    Standing up for one group of people (Christians who are a BiIG group around the world) who are being mistreated (translated slaughtered) is a larger issue in terms of #'s than the # of gays in Uganda. I'm not saying that the Ugandan gays should be imprisoned, but it's typical lib that they go for the gay defense but not defending Christians. If they stand up for the gays in Uganda, the government should stand up for Christians.

    Should we wait til ISIS comes to the US, bars the doors on our churches and then sets them on fire and slaughters people as they try to get out? Perhaps those donkey dreams will fade out really quickly. I'm amazed that the dems haven't figure out that there are way more Christians than Ugandan gays.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Well, there is the practical nature of being able to actually do something about the situation in Uganda. The US/UN/Western civilization at large has the ability to affect their funding, since they don't have the ability to finance their own needs as a nation.

    The only way to stop the slaughter of Christians in Muslim nations is to invade every single one of them, occupy them for decades, and kill as many Muslims as possible in the process. I don't know how brave that level of stupidity is, but it's basically what Ann Coulter suggested we do following 9-11. Recognizing this is not unprincipled or cowardly, it's recognizing reality. The only other way is to develop alternatives to oil from the Middle East, so that we can better impose economic sanctions on nations for engaging in slaughters of their civilians.

    I don't understand why you feel standing up for one group of people who are being mistreated is somehow an affront to another group who is being mistreated in a different country. Uganda is a pretty poor, third world country. I'm pretty sure that sentencing a gay person to 11 years in prison in that country is as much of a death sentence as a man will get in Saudia Arabia if he was raised Muslim and converts to Christianity.
    While I wouldn't recommend slaughtering as many Muslims as possible, I am sometimes wondering if we aren't eventually going to have to start killing as many radicals as possible. They want to kill every Christian, Jew, and rational Muslim in the world. They want to kill homosexuals and women. Some of them are just flat out pedophiles. Truth is I sometimes think we need to capture then and publically kill them just to send a messgae since violence is all they appear to understand. I'm not even for the death penalty. I just think this might be a legitimate war tactic (but the US is going to be sticks in the mud about it).

    I do agree with finding alternatives to reliance upon them. I do agree with finding other sources of energy, but I also agree with drilling our own oil (something a lot of liberals don't want, but I've never had a problem with). I realize a lot went down in 2010 with that oil spill, but I think we need to get back on the horse. We need to also let oil companies help with finding alternative sources and let them profit from it. They know their business is going down if they don't do something, so let them find that alternative.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    To answer the first point that I bolded. The administration has dithered again, not approved the Keystone pipeline. The Canadians are now building it in another direction--west, where the oil will be shipped to the west coast on its way to China. Then there is that little thing like putting most of the coal companies out of business. We need to ramp up our energy independence from the Mideast, but it isn't happening with Obama. His green boondoggles aren't going anywhere--think Solyndra and the millions directed to his cronies that went no where--other than their pockets.

    Standing up for one group of people (Christians who are a BiIG group around the world) who are being mistreated (translated slaughtered) is a larger issue in terms of #'s than the # of gays in Uganda. I'm not saying that the Ugandan gays should be imprisoned, but it's typical lib that they go for the gay defense but not defending Christians. If they stand up for the gays in Uganda, the government should stand up for Christians.

    Should we wait til ISIS comes to the US, bars the doors on our churches and then sets them on fire and slaughters people as they try to get out? Perhaps those donkey dreams will fade out really quickly. I'm amazed that the dems haven't figure out that there are way more Christians than Ugandan gays.
    To be fair, it's a two way street. Libs don't like to stand for Christians and conservatives don't like to stand for gays. If there's a petition out there about a gay person about to be put to death, then I want to sign it.

    I do want to point out some things though. First, a lot of countries in Africa have outlawed homosexuality (and it was already illegal in Uganda). Next, I've been reading about this. It turns out that some of the concerns over in Uganda were not what we thought. For example, "aggravated homosexuality" is probably rape to them. That's what they wanted to put people to death for, not necessarily the act itself. Now, I say we call it rape and make sure the pentalty applies equally to heterorapists, but the point is there might be some misunderstandings.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,481
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Well, there is the practical nature of being able to actually do something about the situation in Uganda. The US/UN/Western civilization at large has the ability to affect their funding, since they don't have the ability to finance their own needs as a nation.

    The only way to stop the slaughter of Christians in Muslim nations is to invade every single one of them, occupy them for decades, and kill as many Muslims as possible in the process. I don't know how brave that level of stupidity is, but it's basically what Ann Coulter suggested we do following 9-11. Recognizing this is not unprincipled or cowardly, it's recognizing reality. The only other way is to develop alternatives to oil from the Middle East, so that we can better impose economic sanctions on nations for engaging in slaughters of their civilians.

    I don't understand why you feel standing up for one group of people who are being mistreated is somehow an affront to another group who is being mistreated in a different country. Uganda is a pretty poor, third world country. I'm pretty sure that sentencing a gay person to 11 years in prison in that country is as much of a death sentence as a man will get in Saudia Arabia if he was raised Muslim and converts to Christianity.
    I love when you leftists parrot Ann Coulter. She was just turning jihadist dogma back on them but nice try.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    To be fair, it's a two way street. Libs don't like to stand for Christians and conservatives don't like to stand for gays. If there's a petition out there about a gay person about to be put to death, then I want to sign it.

    I do want to point out some things though. First, a lot of countries in Africa have outlawed homosexuality (and it was already illegal in Uganda). Next, I've been reading about this. It turns out that some of the concerns over in Uganda were not what we thought. For example, "aggravated homosexuality" is probably rape to them. That's what they wanted to put people to death for, not necessarily the act itself. Now, I say we call it rape and make sure the pentalty applies equally to heterorapists, but the point is there might be some misunderstandings.
    Probably one of the reasons that so many countries have outlawed homosexuality is a practical one. AIDS runs rampant there. And you're right, Lanie, that misunderstandings are so easy to crop up. I've read about companies having to rename their products sold overseas, as the US name might mean something totally different in another country/culture.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •