Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ikea lifting minimum wage to nearly $11 an hour 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    But not everywhere...

By Aaron Smith @AaronSmithCNN June 26, 2014: 9:12 AM ET

Ikea is acting on its own to lift the minimum wage, and it's doing it in a unique way: The U.S. average will be $10.76 and hour, but will be adjusted in different areas for cost of living.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I have no problem with since they are raising the pay scale on their own and not based on a government mandate. In addition they can pick and choose the best employees to work for the higher wages rather than settle for unmotivated workers sucking up high mandated wages while also sucking at their job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

The Ikea in metro Detroit is expanding-it's already a huge store. They are taking over a vacant store next to them in the same strip mall.

They have pretty stuff for low prices. Their furniture is very affordable, but you generally have to assemble most of it yourself. I like their prices on kitchen utensils-I bought an awesome cheese grater there (like the kind Olive Garden uses) for $6. Everywhere else I looked (Target, BBB, Pier One) was charging about twice that. It is what Crate and Barrel used to be before they went all upscale in the late 80s and early 90s.

That's the problem with a federal minimum wage. Say they made the minimum be a living wage in NYC, then a person living where I live would be considered well off.

The minimum wage is destructive to the free market and needs to be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    I have no problem with since they are raising the pay scale on their own and not based on a government mandate. In addition they can pick and choose the best employees to work for the higher wages rather than settle for unmotivated workers sucking up high mandated wages while also sucking at their job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Well said.

Some markets simply demand more pay to attract workers that will actually earn their paychecks. The wage is just an average of all locations.

Workers in Pittsburgh and West Chester, Ohio, will get the lowest, at $8.69.

Quote Originally Posted by taxed View Post
    The minimum wage is destructive to the free market and needs to be eliminated.
    I agree 100%

The U.S. average will be $10.76 and hour, but will be adjusted in different areas for cost of living.
    Not sure what that means.

They're raising the federal minimum to 10.10, but that's only on government contracts.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    Not sure what that means.

They're raising the federal minimum to 10.10, but that's only on government contracts.
    That will be the average wage of the IKEA workers across the nation, some will make more, some will make less, depending on location. This is something IKEA is doing on their own, 'without the govt forcing them to do so.

IKEA does have to buy the silence of their employees, so that the public won't know what kind of meat they are using in their meatballs.