1. #1 Cats Overrun Island in Niagara River After Being Abandoned 
    Hundreds of feral cats are believed to be on Tonawanda Island in the Niagara River, an 85-acre parcel of land in the river near Buffalo where people have been abandoning cats for years.

“They’re just everywhere. People drop them off. I’ve caught people dumping them on the road; they just unload them on the island,” Wayne Howard of North Tonawanda told WIVB-TV. “The messes that they make, especially the feces around the island and where people walk, it’s disgusting. I’ve caught them on my boat a few times and they made messes; they’re just a problem.”

Danielle Coogan has launched Operation Island Cats to stem the growing problem. She's trapping cats and having them spayed or neutered by veterinarians.

In the last 10 days, she has trapped 10 cats. Kittens will be put up for adoptions. Adult cats will be returned to the island.

“They’re going to be spayed and neutered, they’re going to be vaccinated and they’re going to live the rest of their days on their beautiful island home where they’re comfortable and they’re not going to keep reproducing,” she told WIVB-TV

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/cats-...#ixzz39VBa2mDC

Our town has a catch, vaccinate and release program for feral cats to stop the population. I've participated and recently had a new stray show up outside, my first goal is providing it with food and water. It catches me outside, it's very vocal, so I make sure it has food and water and I do not want to spook it off. It might already be fixed, the ear appears to be clipped, but I can't get close enough to tell yet.

A lady drops off the traps, rounds up the cats in the mornings once a week, spends all day in Las Vegas while the cats are at a low cost spay/neuter program and she then drives back late in the day. She only asks for a ten dollar donation, this lady is in her 70's. She simply has a love for what she is doing for the county.

I don't want to take in any more adult strays, even if they have been someone's pet at one time, but I'm glad to see in the article able they are putting the kittens up for adoption. Back in Illinois there was a dairy farmer that took a lot of the adult cats after we had them fixed, his family had a dairy farm and the cats kept the mice out of the grain he fed his cows.

I like to have an outdoor cat hanging out, the ravens are noisy, can make a mess, and the jackrabbits eat any thing green that grows. The cat will run them off!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    OMG!!! We have found the perfect place to move the Spotted Owl!!!

I hear they love kittys!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    OMG!!! We have found the perfect place to move the Spotted Owl!!!

I hear they love kittys!!!
    True!

We have a colony of strays in my neighborhood. They keep us from having rodent problems, but they do leave messes, have babies in the bushes or under people's porches, and probably could spread disease. They are all descendants of some cats that people abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We have a colony of strays in my neighborhood. They keep us from having rodent problems, but they do leave messes, have babies in the bushes or under people's porches, and probably could spread disease. They are all descendants of some cats that people abandoned.
    In the Midwest they seemed to have litters in early or mid fall, and it was difficult to see the little kittens freezing to death.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    In the Midwest they seemed to have litters in early or mid fall, and it was difficult to see the little kittens freezing to death.
    Yeah, I found a dead kitten on my porch on one of those freezing days. Poor thing. The litters that were born in the spring this year are almost grown, now. One of the females recently had babies-I don't know where she hid them, but she was huge one day and not huge the next. Another one looks like any day now she's going to give birth.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Yeah, I found a dead kitten on my porch on one of those freezing days. Poor thing. The litters that were born in the spring this year are almost grown, now. One of the females recently had babies-I don't know where she hid them, but she was huge one day and not huge the next. Another one looks like any day now she's going to give birth.
    Poor cats.