Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Candidates differ on female draft 
    Candidates differ on female draft

Even as the U.S. confronts two long wars, neither Sen. John McCain nor Sen. Barack Obama believes the country should take the politically perilous step of reviving the military draft.

But the two presidential candidates disagree on a key foundation of any future draft: Mr. Obama supports a requirement for both men and women to register with the Selective Service, while Mr. McCain doesn't think women should have to register.

Also, Mr. Obama would consider officially opening combat positions to women. Mr. McCain would not.

"Women are already serving in combat [in Iraq and Afghanistan] and the current policy should be updated to reflect realities on the ground," said Wendy Morigi, Mr. Obama's national security spokeswoman. "Barack Obama would consult with military commanders to review the constraints that remain."

According to his campaign, Mr. McCain supports the current Department of Defense restrictions on women in combat units, including armor, field artillery and special forces.

In 1980, President Jimmy Carter revived the Selective Service system, which compiles a list of nearly all men in the U.S. between 18 and 25 in case a crisis forces the government to undertake a massive expansion of the military.

Both Congress and the Supreme Court have exempted women from registration because of the combat rules.

given the scum we enevitable end up fighting - I agree that women should not serve in combat. I am unwilling to subject them to potential rape.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

This an interesting topic. While I believe that women have as much responsibility as men in time of war, if there was a draft, I wouldn't support mandatory female deployment in mixed units or combat roles.

As was predicted, the presence of women in many types of units has been disruptive and distracting to say the least. Rape and sexual assault rates are too high, pregnancy is common, and female recruits have much higher rates of serious physical injury during training, let alone later.

It's not that I think individual women don't have a place in some kinds of front line roles (sniper training comes to mind) but that the wholesale treatment of women like small, weak, sexually available men in a physically demanding job is just not workable.

Putting aside the obvious fact that our country, short of WWIII, would be torn apart by a general draft - I believe that all should serve, in every position, combat - pilot - cook - mechanic and let the chips fall where they will, politician’s daughter and bricklayer's son alike.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Putting aside the obvious fact that our country, short of WWIII, would be torn apart by a general draft - I believe that all should serve, in every position, combat - pilot - cook - mechanic and let the chips fall where they will, politician’s daughter and bricklayer's son alike.
    Ignoring the obvious differences between the sexes is just dumb - regardless of your political inclination. It's possible for me to imagine a time when we would have to field a huge standing army. That time isn't now but I can imagine it.

Putting women into that mix with no regard for the sexual disruption it would cause and with no regard for the fact that a huge number of women would more or less cheerfully die rather than fight, let alone defend a fellow soldier, is nuts. While individual women can defend themselves and other non-related adults as well keep up with men physically and have the strength to carry or pull a comrade to safety, this doesn't apply to women in general.

It would be irresponsible to force people to serve with individual women who were physically incapable of meeting the same standards as men do and who are not prepared to defend themselves or others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It would be irresponsible to force people to serve with individual women who were physically incapable of meeting the same standards as men do and who are not prepared to defend themselves or others.
    Any females handling aircraft off of our aircraft carriers presently?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

You didn't watch Carrier?

Once again you've all been duped. The headline should read, Obama endorses draft, McCain opposes.

Or,

Obama demands compulsory service, McCain pleads, "Spare the Women."

It's just a matter of perspective.

Do you guys even read anything I write? :p

I think women who have the innate talent are better than men who have the innate talent where combat flying skills are needed. This is a no-brainer since women are physiologically advantaged in high G situations. Duh.

But everyone who gets drafted doesn't go into fighter pilot school. They don't all go into intel. They aren't all sent to sniper school. These are all areas where women excel (or have excelled) because they have certain characteristics that give them a slight advantage over men.

In a draft, most of the need is for combat-ready ground troops and that's where most of the bodies go. I just don't think that women in general are particularly suited to close quarter fighting or the other normal physical demands of that type of deployment.

There's a reason that so many women wash out of training or within a year because of blown joints, shin splints, torn ACL injuries, and back problems. The reason isn't that women are unpatriotic, stupid, or lazy - the reason is because women weren't designed to tolerate either explosive physical movements or running with loads. That a few women can and do it very well doesn't say anything about the rest.