Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thundley4 View Post
    Illinois is pretty backwater when it comes to quality fast food or even good franchises of other restaurants.
    True. I used to go across the river to Iowa often to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Five Guys, Smashburger, and Chick Fil A are fairly recent arrivals here in Silicon Valley. Been to the two burger places once apiece, and they are good. Been to CFA quite a bit, good product, excellent people.

The regional chain that, to me, is glaringly missing is Togo's, from the "Sandwiches & Subs" chart. I've not seen the top 6 places on that chart here in Silicon Valley, but, IMO, Togo's would have to be near that top of the list were it included. Excellent quality, good value, excellent variety, a bit slow because of the variety and being hand-made.
    Togo's sounds good. We have a http://capriottis.com/index.php that even roasts their own chicken and beef for their subs...it's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    The regional chain that, to me, is glaringly missing is Togo's, from the "Sandwiches & Subs" chart. I've not seen the top 6 places on that chart here in Silicon Valley, but, IMO, Togo's would have to be near that top of the list were it included. Excellent quality, good value, excellent variety, a bit slow because of the variety and being hand-made.
    Togo's has been my go to sandwich shop since the 1970's when I was in high school. They've just opened a Firehouse sub shop in the Pacific Commons shopping center off 880 and Auto Mall Parkway in Fremont. It's good but IMO not as good as Togo's.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quiznos and Subway are garbage. Can't understand why anyone would eat there. And speaking as someone who knows good subs, Jersey Mikes isn't bad for a chain. When we lived in NC, that was as close as we could get to a decent sub like we get here. But no self respecting person from the Delaware Valley would be caught dead eating crap from Subway.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Togo's has been my go to sandwich shop since the 1970's when I was in high school. They've just opened a Firehouse sub shop in the Pacific Commons shopping center off 880 and Auto Mall Parkway in Fremont. It's good but IMO not as good as Togo's.
    Been going to Togo's since the late 70s also, starting when I was working in Palo Alto. They've been very careful not to expand beyond what their logistics could bear - cost and quality. Possibly a little overly cautious. OTOH,. their quality store to store is pretty consistent, which is not easy for a product that involves so much hand work.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan
    Quiznos and Subway are garbage. Can't understand why anyone would eat there. ... But no self respecting person from the Delaware Valley would be caught dead eating crap from Subway.
    IMO, Subway and Quiznos are part gimmick, part acceptable mediocrity (like M or BK or TB). Subway outlets make their own bread in-house ... Woo! Hoo! Daily bread delivery from a really good bakery is going to be as good or better, but baking bread in-house makes for a better image. Quiznos was the first national chain that toasted its sandwiches ... Woo! Hoo! Toasted mediocrity is still mediocre, and their menu choices have gotten less appealing to me.

My personal theory is that there is a certain combination of price, quality, convenience, consistency, and image where mediocrity can be very successful. M and TB epitomize this. Subway may also, but I think they've overbuilt, to the detriment of their franchisees. Quiznos is in trouble, and I think they've somehow missed the optimum point for mediocrity to be successful. BK has been hurting for a long time, and I think they've somehow missed mediocre perfection. Arbee's, IMO, never quite got the necessary ubiquity; ditto Wienerschnitzel (and how in heaven did Vienna-style steak morph into a name for an American hotdog franchise?!). Chains like CJ's, Wendy's, J in the B, Boston Market and KFC have carved out niches for themselves as being a little different and a little better than the common mediocrity; I think the same is true of regional chains Whataburger, Hardee's, and In N Out.
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Quiznos and Subway are garbage. Can't understand why anyone would eat there. And speaking as someone who knows good subs, Jersey Mikes isn't bad for a chain. When we lived in NC, that was as close as we could get to a decent sub like we get here. But no self respecting person from the Delaware Valley would be caught dead eating crap from Subway.
    Subway sucks. The meat is over processed and full of pressed water. Plus they are starting to get just as expensive for any thing edible as the good sub shops.

One more thing about Togo's is that they're owned by the same company that owns the Baskin and Robins 31 Flavor Ice Cream chain. If you're lucky, you can find locations that have both in the same building.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    One more thing about Togo's is that they're owned by the same company that owns the Baskin and Robins 31 Flavor Ice Cream chain. If you're lucky, you can find locations that have both in the same building.
    Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Subway sucks. The meat is over processed and full of pressed water. Plus they are starting to get just as expensive for any thing edible as the good sub shops.
    There is a convenience store chain in this area called WaWa that used to make really good sandwiches. No other convenience store chain, to my knowledge, made deli fresh sandwiches. 7/11's were pre packaged as were Circle K. WaWa would make their subs and sandwiches like a deli would with freshly sliced meats and bread from local bakeries. Now, for some odd reason they've decided to copy Subway by making their sandwiches with pre-packaged meats and they're baking their own bread. Their quality has suffered IMO.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    There is a convenience store chain in this area called WaWa that used to make really good sandwiches. No other convenience store chain, to my knowledge, made deli fresh sandwiches. 7/11's were pre packaged as were Circle K. WaWa would make their subs and sandwiches like a deli would with freshly sliced meats and bread from local bakeries. Now, for some odd reason they've decided to copy Subway by making their sandwiches with pre-packaged meats and they're baking their own bread. Their quality has suffered IMO.
    There is a Midwest chain known as Hungry Hobo, very fresh soft bread and fresh sliced meat. Damn good. There is huge difference with the fresh sliced meat IMO. That's too bad about WaWa chaing up the recipe. That sounds like a quick way to grab something to take to work for dinner or lunch later.

Everyone once in a while someone will say "I'm going to Subway do you want anything?" as there is one close to work. Sometimes I'm hungry and give in, my last sandwich was almost nine bucks with tax....I could of had something so much better.