Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    The social security office is part of the federal government. They can't cut benefits due to an opinion they don't like. Okay, so I spoke too quickly earlier. The first amendment means the government can't punish you for voicing an opinion.
    Three words for.you Internal Revenue Service

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Well then I guess the 1st Amendment is well and truly dead.
    Not unless the radio station management and the government are the same people.

Lanie is right for once, the First Amendment keeps the government from regulating speech, it has nothing to do with relieving blowhards running off at the mouth of any social or employment consequences for ill-considered rants. He's free to say whatever he wants, and his employer is free to say he needs to find a job somewhere else.

Three words for.you Internal Revenue Service

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    Which is illegal and they're trying to get the proof that wrongdoing was done.

Just because you can't completely prove a crime and get a conviction doesn't mean it wasn't a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Which is illegal and they're trying to get the proof that wrongdoing was done.
    Unless you're a Liberal or the PResident...then there was not a smidgen of wrong doing.

Just because you can't completely prove a crime and get a conviction doesn't mean it wasn't a crime.
    Tell that to your Liberal brethren.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Just seems to me that if they can reach down into your personal social media accounts and use something you post on there to terminate employment, decide not to hire you in the first place or take administrative action against you....then your right to freedom of speech is gone.

As I said before this wasn't done on the air...it wasn't done on an official site related to either the O&A show or Sirius/XM...it was on his personal account.

Where will it end?

At some point I can see a challenge by an employee against an employer for something like this.

Social Security Benefits Assistant - "I'm sorry Mr. JB, but due to your negative comments about President Hillary Clinton on Conservative Underground, we're cutting your monthly benefits by 20%."
    Media personalities have always been able to be fired based on their off-screen speech and activities. If you remember the infamous "morals clauses" in many actors' contracts for example, these clauses could be invoked if you said or did something against public morals and it became publicly known, even if you said or did it on your own time. A media personality always had to use discretion and keep things hidden. Imagine if Rock Hudson in his heyday had publicly (as a citizen) come out for the marriage of homosexuals. Even if it were at some small gathering, if the statement was printed and could be proved, Hudson could have been dropped based on the morals clause. (And he would have lost his audience.)

However, in the past there was always was a firm line between public and private. An opinion that you shared with your immediate (and trusted) circle didn't necessarily go anywhere. Someone else actually had to film or publicize your statements or doings and journalists had to be careful to avoid slander/libel.

With the advent of the internet, public and private have been fused. You may feel like you are making a private statement as a private individual but you are actually broadcasting that statement on a worldwide media outlet. The middleman (newspaper, radio or TV station) is gone.

The First Amendment guarantees your Constitutional right to say whatever you want in public without governmental consequences (with a few notable exceptions.) Anthony Cumia cannot be hauled to jail for what he said in the OP; that's his First Amendment protection. However, the First Amendment is a government protection not a corporate one. As soon as you sign on with a corporation and voluntarily agree to their rules, you can be fired for violating those rules. I am sure Cumia's media company has certain safeguards built into his contract, and public expression--whether it is at show events or on his private time--is most likely limited by that contract.

Now, as to the rest of us:

Thanks to the internet, we are all potential media celebrities. Our own private rantings against the government--which, in the past, would have never been heard outside of Thanksgiving dinner--are now able to be publicized to the world by our own hand. The fusing of public and private on websites like Facebook make anything we type a media event. Facebook is PUBLIC space, even though it feels private. You always have to remember that, unless you are under an unrecognizable screen name, you are publicizing your personality, opinions and beliefs. (Even with an unrecognizable screen name, you are always transparent because of the IP address. Any person or agency who wants to know who "Donald Duck 55" is can certainly find out.)

Even worse, others who use our names and photos are publicizing our personalities, opinions, beliefs, and IMAGES without our permission (usually). Gone are the paper contracts with a newspaper releasing your words or images to them. Everything you say or do can now become public without your knowledge or consent, including private family pictures or videos of parties you attend, where someone is recording on an iPhone without anyone's knowledge.

By the way, if you read the link at the OP, Anthony Cumia had photographed that black woman without her consent. That is what started the fight. Cumia claims he was just taking some photos and she happened to be in one of them--that is possible. But she took great exception to him having taken that photo, and you can see why. Cumia could have downloaded that photos and posted it--which he did when he ranted and raved about her online. He could have photoshopped it in any disgusting way he wished. He could have stalked her using the photo.

A man taking a photo of an unknown woman who has not given her consent should always realize that he can be seen as a potential predator by that woman. Cumia should have known better.

At any rate, our current battle with the internet is not just with our own freedom to share information with the world but with that of our friends and neighbors. A friend of mine has constant fights with her friends and family NOT to post pictures of her children on Facebook, especially with its image recognition software. She has a multitude of fears including child predators (who spend alot of time looking for children on the internet) and law enforcement agencies (who could be creating a data base using the images of her children.) Whatever our individual concerns are, the internet has created a new kind of space and has allowed for our abuse in ways heretofore unimaginable.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 07-07-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Unless you're a Liberal or the PResident...then there was not a smidgen of wrong doing.

I agree. They will milk the investigation out long past the election season and the damage has already been done to those targeted and it's been considered a "phony scandal" by the President.

I sold my SIRI stock, I have owned some stock in them and XM since before they even went on the air. I haven't looked at my SIRI stock for over 10 years, I just had a handful of shares left.
    They never have run this like a business and have been in the red with no hope of profit in sight for years. The liberal jackasses that run this company are going to completely bankrupt it and it won't be long.
    I may buy in again someday after they reorganize and have different management, they need an entirely different model but I still believe that satellite radio can work.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Satellite radio stock is now officially converted to copper mine stock, enough of that bull shit.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Anthony Cumia Complains About Black People on 'Pro-White' Radio Show
    http://jezebel.com/anthony-cumia-com...ite-1616516052

Anthony Cumia, who was fired last month from The Opie & Anthony Show by Sirius XM after going on a racist tirade on Twitter, has resurfaced with his own videocast. Naturally, he chose to promote it on a white power radio show.

Cumia appeared on The Political Cesspool (the mission statement of which reads: "We wish to revive the White birthrate above replacement level fertility and beyond to grow the percentage of Whites in the world relative to other races") to talk shit about black people:

"When you watch any of the footage of any of the Apollo programs over the years and you look at the control room of mission control, what do you see? Do you see diversity there? Honestly, let's be honest. You're seeing white males smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee at the console and putting people on the moon. How is this a horrible thing? How is this something to look at and say, 'We need to change this by injecting people that do not pay attention to the laws of this country, do not assimilate to the cultures, do not work and contribute to this nation'?"

Cumia's new subscription-based showóbroadcast live on the Internet from in front of a green screen in his basementólaunched yesterday. He opened his first episode saying:

"I'm lucky because racism has paid so well for me over the years that I was able to build this complex down here."

With a President Obama bobble head on his desk, he attempted to justify why black people should be followed around in stores by distrusting shop owners.

He promised to have "an open and honest dialogue on violence in the black community." Then he played videos from the local newsóone in which a mother is crying over her teenage son who was shot and killedóto illustrate his point that black people are violent. He intermittently would do a "black guy" voice. He congratulated himself on not "dropping the n-bomb."

Mostly, though, he whined about getting fired and how he's not allowed to talk about what he thinks is wrong with the black community. However, it doesn't seem like he's doing anything but these days.