Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    What clerk?

McDonalds is testing these out in Europe right now. Order from a Kiosk and pay there. No clerk needed.

All you really need is some one to restock the machine, and clean up around the place. The machine sacks the burger as well as cooks it.
    A few restaurants in Las Vegas are using them for taking orders and as a back up register, including Jack in the Box. During the slow times when they have the labor hours cut back, unless you walk up and start using the kiosk they will not come up to the counter to wait on you, some one will make sure you get a drink cup.

The kiosks display a complete description of each product, all the options, as well as the allergy and nutrition information. Great for those with food allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I wonder which robot runs the machine.

Burger King's "grilled" burgers are really just tossed in a machine to be cooked. Of course, somebody had to put the food in there. Somebody had to get it out. Somebody had to turn it into a sandwich. Somebody had to microwave it when a customer said they wanted it straight off the grill. You still need human beings.

If you think this machine wasn't need to be operated by humans, you're wrong. They'll especially need human help when they malfuction and start giving a chicken sandwich for a cheeseburger or cause parts of the paper to go into the sandwich.
    Burger King nukes all burgers as a safety precaution. Checkers uses a conveyer belt to cook their patties. Automation is a great thing, sure the machine will need maintained once in a while but would you rather have a modern washing machine or one that is a 100 years old?

You all are being sucked in by commercial advertising. Of course the burger looks good. A marketing person got paid to make it look good.

You all are being sucked in by commercial advertising. Of course the burger looks good. A marketing person got paid to make it look good.
    You really think so?

Like the "hope and change" marketers or real marketing companies that are showing off industry tested technology that has been through the R & D process and built with proven methods? I've already seen the restaurants in which people are placing orders via kiosk without using a cashier, it's simply like self check out at the grocery stores, but you are using it to place your order.

I think you might understand this better if you visit a factory, everyday there is more and more automation. New cars are painted by robots, welded by robots, and made by cold rolled steel and aluminum made from robots. Parts are produced by CNC machines with built in plasma cutters. Over head crane operators are being replaced with remote control boxes. Even prescriptions are filled by robots at your local pharmacy and by all mail order pharmacies.

Automated hamburgers? Easy.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 07-07-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    What clerk?

McDonalds is testing these out in Europe right now. Order from a Kiosk and pay there. No clerk needed.

All you really need is some one to restock the machine, and clean up around the place. The machine sacks the burger as well as cooks it.
    Arby's was using touch-screens for ordering several years ago. Stores like Lucky and Home Depot have used machines for check-out for years,

Robo-Burger and touch-screen Order/Payment systems (I'm sure fries could be produced and packaged by machine as well) aren't intended to eliminate people entirely, just reduce per-burger labor costs (which would include machine stocking, maintenance, plus amortizing the investment).

Now if BK would ditch that grinning-and-leering Kreepy "King"!
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

And you've never noticed a difference between ad pix of burgers and tacos and the actual burgers and tacos you get at M, BK, and TB? Unlike at M, BK, and TB, the machines could offer leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, or spinach instead of water-suspended-in-a-little-fiber (commonly called iceberg lettuce).
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

"Fry cook" is kind of an overstatement of most fast-food work, it's mostly just assembly (Sandwiches or burritos), with some order-taking, bin-stocking, and cleaning.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Fixed the first pic...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    And you've never noticed a difference between ad pix of burgers and tacos and the actual burgers and tacos you get at M, BK, and TB? Unlike at M, BK, and TB, the machines could offer leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, or spinach instead of water-suspended-in-a-little-fiber (commonly called iceberg lettuce).
    I like iceberg lettuce far better than romaine, but that's besides the point.

When I was in college, I expressed a concern to an instructor about computers taking over the world. I said there would be no jobs. She compared it to the industrial revolution. People went from sewing on their own to sewing machines. Thing was somebody had to work the sewing machine.

There will still be jobs. They just won't be the same ones. In fact, the job to keep the machine running correctly may be worth 15.00 an hour.

Why do some people appear to have a problem with this concept of companies still hiring? What? You want a society completely ran off machiens with no help from humans and humans looking around for a job?

I like iceberg lettuce far better than romaine, but that's besides the point.

When I was in college, I expressed a concern to an instructor about computers taking over the world. I said there would be no jobs. She compared it to the industrial revolution. People went from sewing on their own to sewing machines. Thing was somebody had to work the sewing machine.

There will still be jobs. They just won't be the same ones. In fact, the job to keep the machine running correctly may be worth 15.00 an hour.

Why do some people appear to have a problem with this concept of companies still hiring? What? You want a society completely ran off machiens with no help from humans and humans looking around for a job?
    To keep the machine running correctly will cost you more than $15/hr.

No one is talking about 'wants' but rather realities. Dis-honest Abe could have saved thousands of lives by encouraging Eli Whitney types rather than invading SC. Progress will come Luddites be damned. This is just one more step.

Whether such progress is good or bad will be for the future to decide.
    Last edited by Retread; 07-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.