Thread: Yoga Is Racist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And then......

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

The choices made by blacks equal racism by whites? The only racism I see in this silly kerfuffle is in the Race-Card-Playing of the paranoid gnat-straining Race-Baiters!

When I go to the gym I'm there to do something other than compile a mental tally: XX whites; YY blacks; ZZ Hipanics; NN Asians. One would think the same would be true of attendees of a yoga class.
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

There's a new yoga place near Wayne State U in Detroit. I pass it sometimes on my way to get either Slow's BBQ or Indian food. At lunch time, when the students are breaking, it's always empty. It's got floor-to-ceiling windows, so you can see in when driving by.

Detroit may be 80% black or so, but WSU has more racial balance in it's student body because lots of students live with their parents and commute. There is also a large number of Indian students and faculty, and the DMC is also nearby, where there are lots of Indian doctors and medical professionals. Still, the yoga place is empty at lunchtime.

The one in Ann Arbor probably does better. There's urban liberals and then there are hippie liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There's a new yoga place near Wayne State U in Detroit. I pass it sometimes on my way to get either Slow's BBQ or Indian food. At lunch time, when the students are breaking, it's always empty. It's got floor-to-ceiling windows, so you can see in when driving by.

Detroit may be 80% black or so, but WSU has more racial balance in it's student body because lots of students live with their parents and commute. There is also a large number of Indian students and faculty, and the DMC is also nearby, where there are lots of Indian doctors and medical professionals. Still, the yoga place is empty at lunchtime.

The one in Ann Arbor probably does better. There's urban liberals and then there are hippie liberals.
    Most people that I know that are into yoga participate either first thing in the morning or meet up with friends after work. All shapes, sizes and skin colors. Some even do that hot yoga stuff. Living in the desert, I don't think hot yoga would be very popular in my town.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Most people that I know that are into yoga participate either first thing in the morning or meet up with friends after work. All shapes, sizes and skin colors. Some even do that hot yoga stuff. Living in the desert, I don't think hot yoga would be very popular in my town.
    Go and figure-I went by today, on my way to the Indian restaurant, and there were around 20 people in the Yoga place, twisting their limbs into positions for which my God did not design the human body.

Go and figure-I went by today, on my way to the Indian restaurant, and there were around 20 people in the Yoga place, twisting their limbs into positions for which my God did not design the human body.
    LOL!

Flexibility and balance are not my strong points. I think I'll stick with treadmills, weight machines, and walking local trails. Going to be in a 40% streets, 60% trail half marathon this Sunday.
    SVPete

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    LOL!

Flexibility and balance are not my strong points. I think I'll stick with treadmills, weight machines, and walking local trails. Going to be in a 40% streets, 60% trail half marathon this Sunday.
    Good luck with the marathon!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Good luck with the marathon!
    Thanks! It's "only" a half marathon - "just" 13.1 miles - and that's about what I can do, since I mostly walk. Since I'd probably do a bit slower than a 15-minute-mile pace, a full marathon would take me 7-8 hours, and I'm not up to that. Tomorrow's going to be interesting for me: I've been sick recently, and am probably at 90-95%; the trail is a fairly flat course and I use it pretty regularly (IOW, I'm pretty familiar with it); the weather looks to be reasonable, and the start is 7AM; the race is being managed to a minimum 15-minute-mile pace. So I'll see how things go: I'll be very happy with 3:10-3:15; I'll be extremely happy with under 3:10.
    SVPete

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.