Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ex-New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin gets 10 years for bribery, money laundering 
    Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was sentenced Wednesday to 10 years in prison for bribery, money laundering and other corruption that spanned his two terms as mayor -- including the chaotic years after Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005.

U.S. District Judge Helen Berrigan handed down the sentence Wednesday morning.

Nagin was convicted Feb. 12 of accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars from businessmen who wanted work from the city or Nagin's support for various projects. The bribes came in the form of money, free vacations and truckloads of free granite for his family business.

The 58-year-old Democrat had defiantly denied any wrongdoing after his 2013 indictment and during his February trial.

Moments before sentencing, a subdued Nagin made a brief statement, thanking the judge for her professionalism. He made no apologies. "I trust that God's going to work all this out," he said.

After the sentencing, Nagin smiled and hugged supporters as he walked out of the courtroom with his wife, Seletha, and other family members and friends.

Nagin is to report to the federal prison in Oakdale, La., in September.

Berrigan noted the serious nature of the crimes, but cited several other factors in her decision to depart from sentencing guidelines that could have put Nagin in prison for as many as 20 years.

She said Nagin should not be cast as the leader of the scheme in which participants got millions of dollars in city work. "Mr. Nagin claimed a much, much smaller share of the profits in this conspiracy," Berrigan.

Nagin was alleged to have received roughly $500,000.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...s-mayor-nagin/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

What are the odds that....1.) Nagin's report date will get pushed out into next year.... And 2.) Obama will commute/pardon Nagin some time after the first week of November, 2014?
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    What are the odds that....1.) Nagin's report date will get pushed out into next year.... And 2.) Obama will commute/pardon Nagin some time after the first week of November, 2014?
    I think that you're right on with that. Plus think of all the blame that was heaped on Bush because of the incomptence/thievery of Nagin.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

As corrupt as this guy no doubt was, I think this is payback for not playing ball somewhere along the line during Katrina. Just a hunch.

Ray Nagin was as crooked as they come before he registered as a candidate. He is/was a part of the swamp mafia running La polyticks for years. He just finally became too brazen at it and the law had to act. OTOH the view regarding his reporting date and the little o's pardon ring very true.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

This epitomizes the "leadership" Mayor Nagin displayed during Katrina:

I'm pretty sure there's somewhere between 150 and 200 drowned buses in that pic!
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

I wonder if he'll be Kwame's cellmate in federal custody? They probably would have a lot to talk about. During the Katrina aftermath, I was driving around Detroit thinking that it was a good thing Detroit is not prone to floods, and that there are mulitple ways to get out of the city on foot, if necessary. Kwame would have handled a natural disaster about as well as Nagin did.

Nagin was alleged to have received roughly $500,000.
    I think they forgot a zero.

"If I had a brother, he'd be just like Mayor Nagin..."

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    This epitomizes the "leadership" Mayor Nagin displayed during Katrina:

I'm pretty sure there's somewhere between 150 and 200 drowned buses in that pic!
    This kind of reminds you of Obama's management style, doesn't it?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"