Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 USDA Suggests Changes to Grocery Stores to ‘Nudge’ Consumers to Eat Healthy 
    USDA Suggests Changes to Grocery Stores to ‘Nudge’ Consumers to Eat Healthy
    freebeacon.com
    BY: Elizabeth Harrington
    July 15, 2014 11:43 am
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is suggesting major changes to grocery stores to “nudge” Americans to purchase healthier foods when they shop.

The agency commissioned an “expert panel” to make recommendations on how to guide the more than 47 million Americans on food stamps into spending their benefits on fruits and vegetables.

The group released an 80-page report this month presenting their ideas, which include talking shopping carts and a marketing strategy for grocery chains that would feature better store lighting for healthier items.
    Initial suggestions from the USDA on how to alter the grocery environment include stores offering “SNAP-Ed cooking classes” and consultations with dieticians.
    Another idea included a point-based system where food stamp recipients could receive movie tickets in exchange for healthy food purchases. Grocery store staff could also be used as “ambassadors” for the USDA’s agenda.
    The cart would be color-coded, physically divided, and have a system installed so that when the shopping cart reaches its healthy “threshold” it would congratulate the customer.

“The algorithm would group the purchases to classify them using the MyPlate designations and to provide consumers with a message of support or encouragement (e.g., “You achieved a MyCart healthy shopping basket!”),” the report said.
    The report estimated that implementing the new carts would cost roughly $30,000 for every store. ... For instance, Safeway, Inc. would need to spend $40.05 million to introduce the carts at its 1,335 stores in the U.S.
    Good Lord, the nanny-state themes in this are mind-boggling! For example:

* Bureaucrat elitists think consumers are so stupid that they think Fritos and pork rinds are healthy and nutritious, therefore the government must educate them! With OPM, of course!

* Grocery stores are to have nutritionists and counselors? In what space (i.e. in product shelf space or product storage space?)? Paid for by whose $$?

* Grocery stores must replace all their carts (do you think the government would tolerate one set of carts for EBT Card customers and another set of carts for customers paying for their groceries with $$ they earned?!) with $30K-per-store (a gross under-estimate, since decent-sized and large stores probably have a couple hundred or more carts; do the math ... ($30K) / (200 carts) = $150/cart ... regular wire or molded plastic carts cost about that much, without the weighing and counting sensors and computer the USDA imagines), high-maintenance-cost, monstrosities (putting it nicely, some consumers are morons when it comes to how roughly they treat stores' equipment, and then there's accidental spills, children's droolings and ..., and carts would be left outside, exposed to all manner of weather)? Paid for by the stores, of course?!

* This nanny-statist bureaucratic wet-dream-nightmare reeks of state-coerced OPM!

* And people will still get their Fritos, bean dip, beer and Coca Cola, so what next? Not allowing people to buy what they want to buy?!

Calling this nanny-state elitist scheme hare-brained would be a gross insult to hares!
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

It's enough of an insult that we're already paying for the food stamps. I'll go along with the food stamps for the truly needy and incapable of work, but for the ones milking the system, this is going way too far.

We eat healthy here, but would resent going to the local Publix and having a stupid talking cart. I can save them a whole lot of money. Put a simple card on the handle of the cart (they're already there on many carts with spaces for ads) and say: Only shop the perimeters of the store, where the healthy stuff is. No middle aisles with all the junk food.

That would be about as effective as the more expensive option. Neither would work. Sadly you can't fix stupid.

Why don't they just not cover junk food with the food stamps? That would be more direct. Let them use their own funds for that stuff.

The nanny state drives me crazy. You can't fix stupid with our bureaucrats either. And they're very stupid---and very controlling.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Why don't they just not cover junk food with the food stamps? That would be more direct. Let them use their own funds for that stuff.
    No! No! ... Oh

That would be a far too logical a thing to do SLW ...

And as we in here all know, this admin is not into doing what is right for the country, but only what will forward their agenda.

And further more ... who the hell voted Moochelle (who eats whatever she wants at our expense) ... voted her in to be in charge of ANYTHING in this country!!!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Oops! Too much excitement going on back here "at the ranch"

Meant to refer to this garbage in my post:

http://weaselzippers.us/193619-miche...-healthy-food/
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    USDA Suggests Changes to Grocery Stores to ‘Nudge’ Consumers to Eat Healthy
    freebeacon.com
    BY: Elizabeth Harrington
    July 15, 2014 11:43 am

Good Lord, the nanny-state themes in this are mind-boggling! For example:

* Bureaucrat elitists think consumers are so stupid that they think Fritos and pork rinds are healthy and nutritious, therefore the government must educate them! With OPM, of course!

* Grocery stores are to have nutritionists and counselors? In what space (i.e. in product shelf space or product storage space?)? Paid for by whose $$?

* Grocery stores must replace all their carts (do you think the government would tolerate one set of carts for EBT Card customers and another set of carts for customers paying for their groceries with $$ they earned?!) with $30K-per-store (a gross under-estimate, since decent-sized and large stores probably have a couple hundred or more carts; do the math ... ($30K) / (200 carts) = $150/cart ... regular wire or molded plastic carts cost about that much, without the weighing and counting sensors and computer the USDA imagines), high-maintenance-cost, monstrosities (putting it nicely, some consumers are morons when it comes to how roughly they treat stores' equipment, and then there's accidental spills, children's droolings and ..., and carts would be left outside, exposed to all manner of weather)? Paid for by the stores, of course?!

* This nanny-statist bureaucratic wet-dream-nightmare reeks of state-coerced OPM!

* And people will still get their Fritos, bean dip, beer and Coca Cola, so what next? Not allowing people to buy what they want to buy?!

Calling this nanny-state elitist scheme hare-brained would be a gross insult to hares!
    I agree.

Let's give them movie tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?

I wonder how many millions this study cost us?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    It's enough of an insult that we're already paying for the food stamps. I'll go along with the food stamps for the truly needy and incapable of work, but for the ones milking the system, this is going way too far.

We eat healthy here, but would resent going to the local Publix and having a stupid talking cart. I can save them a whole lot of money. Put a simple card on the handle of the cart (they're already there on many carts with spaces for ads) and say: Only shop the perimeters of the store, where the healthy stuff is. No middle aisles with all the junk food.

That would be about as effective as the more expensive option. Neither would work. Sadly you can't fix stupid.

The nanny state drives me crazy. You can't fix stupid with our bureaucrats either. And they're very stupid---and very controlling.
    The first thing they could do that would be very easy to implement for both the stores and the states is simply not allowing the purchase of soda with EBT. That would be a good start and would save $$$$$$$. I have witnessed too many people simply loading up carts full of soda to end up using an EBT card.

I often am able to see the amount of money that the EBT card holders have "banked" on their card. It's often more then in my checking account. I'm not talking a couple hundred dollars, I'm talking a couple thousand. They have someone else feeding their kids (like a grandparent) and they don't even use the benefits until it's time to make a sale or trade. The person feeding their kids might not even know they are getting benefits.

I have a better idea. Reform SNAP. Fix it so where people cannot buy junk food or soda. I'd go further and demand that it all has to be generic unless there is no generic of the food in question. My mom told me when I was little that I'd eat what I was given and that I was getting nothing else. (Soooooo, I snuck it into the trash can sometimes and went back outside to play, but that's besides the point). People are brats. They don't need rewards or cooking classes. They need to be told no.

That's my sermon for the day.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    All of these "nudges" are bothering me. Most people know what is healthy and what isn't. At least those who were raised with common sense.

And sure, eating some unhealthy foods happens for everyone...most people indulge on occasion. Nothing wrong with that.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I have a better idea. Reform SNAP. Fix it so where people cannot buy junk food or soda. I'd go further and demand that it all has to be generic unless there is no generic of the food in question.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think there were restrictions on the old food stamp program. Limiting purchases to the basics makes sense. The stores could mark the selves with colored pricing labels to point out the recommended EBT choices and even hang free recipes. I think a lot of people are just plain dumb when it comes to preparing nutritious meals that are economical.

I always had a strict food budget when I was raising my family and was even something of a food Nazi, but no one ever went without a meal and decent nutrition.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Few things I would like to share.

The USDA has shit for teeth when it comes to enforcing any-thing. For example. Lets say there needs to be a beef recall due to e-coli. It is voluntary from the packing plants. USDA can't force them to do it.

Far as these carts, won't happen. At best they may try doing it at the register, with a "Nutritional Printout" for healthier living. But no store is going to drop $30k for carts. When the classic old carts cost about $150 - $300.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009