1. #1 Congress Is a Culprit in Foreclosure Crisis 
    In the immediate aftermath of the nationís 2008 foreclosure crisis, Congress played a constructive role in keeping Americans in their homes. Lawmakers supported loan modification programs and sweeping financial reforms, and ó while many rightfully demanded more action ó these efforts eased the effects of the crisis.

Today, the lingering effects of predatory lending and the Great Recession mean that foreclosures remain a serious problem in communities around the country. But, in the national fight to stop foreclosures, one crucial fact has changed: Congress is now a culprit.

By failing to extend emergency unemployment insurance benefits, House GOP leaders have unnecessarily thrust millions of Americans into financial hardship and many, in turn, into foreclosure.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/after_f...html?pos=oopih

Impossible, Obama fixed everything during the two years he had both houses under Dem control.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    In the immediate aftermath of the nationís 2008 foreclosure crisis, Congress played a constructive role in keeping Americans in their homes. ...

Today, the lingering effects of predatory lending and the Great Recession mean that foreclosures remain a serious problem in communities around the country. ...

By failing to extend emergency unemployment insurance benefits, House GOP leaders have unnecessarily thrust millions of Americans into financial hardship and many, in turn, into foreclosure.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/after_f...html?pos=oopih
    Ummmmm no one at Roll Call recognized the absolute contradiction between the first two sentences I quoted? If Congress, "played a constructive role in keeping Americans in their homes," i.e. solved the "problem", why do "foreclosures remain a serious problem" (emphasis added)? Could it be that what Congress did was a band-aid that prolonged the agony another 5 or 6 years?!

And seriously! How many Americans' mortgage payments would be covered by unemployment checks?! If some one has been unable to get a job in their field after 6 or 9 months, they should be considering moving and/or a career change! Or at least piecing together multiple "survival jobs" while waiting for their field to recover if it is likely to do so.
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Ummmmm no one at Roll Call recognized the absolute contradiction between the first two sentences I quoted? If Congress, "played a constructive role in keeping Americans in their homes," i.e. solved the "problem", why do "foreclosures remain a serious problem" (emphasis added)? Could it be that what Congress did was a band-aid that prolonged the agony another 5 or 6 years?!
    Band Aid or window dressing? I guess it's a matter of interpretation. A friend of mine lost her house in 2010 after two years of trying to refinance through a government program which seemed designed to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Impossible, Obama fixed everything during the two years he had both houses under Dem control.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post

And seriously! How many Americans' mortgage payments would be covered by unemployment checks?! If some one has been unable to get a job in their field after 6 or 9 months, they should be considering moving and/or a career change! Or at least piecing together multiple "survival jobs" while waiting for their field to recover if it is likely to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Band Aid or window dressing? I guess it's a matter of interpretation. A friend of mine lost her house in 2010 after two years of trying to refinance through a government program which seemed designed to fail.
    That stinks.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    That stinks.
    Yeah, especially she did everything in good faith and the government & bank apparently didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Yeah, especially she did everything in good faith and the government & bank apparently didn't.