Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Hell, ya got all of Texas -what more could you even think of desiring?
    Texas got Texas... America... after, bitch-slapping Mexico, BOUGHT the southwestern part of our nation.

No families were torn apart. In fact they were given citizenship....

Study Hilldago Guadalupe treaty...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post
    I'm too lazy or incompetent to work my way out of this shithole so why should you be allowed to succeed where I have failed? It's Not Fair!!!
    ^^This.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Texas got Texas... America... after, bitch-slapping Mexico, BOUGHT the southwestern part of our nation.

That would be the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. The US paid for the SW, in gold or silver, with interest if not paid immediately, reimbursed Mexican citizens for damage done by US forces to their homes and businesses during the war, and the US assumed that part of Mexico's debt (adjudicated by England, BTW) that arose from Texas' War of Independence. And BTW, the Treaty was negotiated and signed without either country having knowledge of the discovery of gold in CA.
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

Power CUer
    More on the OP:

July 30, 2014
    The Radical Egalitarian Assault on the Big Apple
    http://americanthinker.com/2014/07/t...big_apple.html

By Robert Weissberg

Radical egalitarians are relentless and will not rest until the very idea of “merit” is banished and all the goodies are divided (selectively) according to race/ethnicity. Unfortunately, New York City is the latest battleground in this campaign.

With the NAACP Legal Defense Fund leading the way, all the while cheered on by Mayor Bill De Blasio, their latest target is New York City’s eight academically elite high schools. Here a single highly demanding math, verbal and logical reasoning test (the SHSAT), and nothing else, decides admission. According to the NAACP’s interpretation or Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, SHSAT is discriminatory since blacks and Hispanics receive lower scores and thus are disproportionally rejected by these elite schools. In other words, the NAACP believes that racial equality demands racial/ethnic quotas.

The problem is that Asians disproportionately pass the admissions test. At the prestigious Stuyvesant HS 73% of the student body is Asian. Elsewhere at academically elite schools, Asian enrollments are in the low 60’s’ with blacks at about 1% and Hispanics at 2%, both figures well below their proportion in the city’s population. (White numbers have also slipped but nobody seems to complain). What frustrates the egalitarian tribalists is that merit-based admission is protected by a 1971 state law and reversing it will be politically difficult. In effect, egalitarians demand that thousands of kids from Chinese background be excluded and replaced with lower-scoring blacks and Hispanics. Ironically, there are more New York Asians below the poverty line than Blacks and Hispanics. In fact, a little less than half of the Asian students at Stuyvesant qualify for subsidized or free government-supplied meals.

Egalitarians want to substitute a “holistic” admission review -- grades, multiple measures of “academic potential,” interviews, portfolio assessments (i.e., scrapbooks), proven leadership skill and community service. Other possibilities criteria include “background and experience,” and the “demographic profile of their neighborhoods.” Run the problem through the academic equivalent of sausage-making and rest assured, the numbers would “magically” satisfy every radical egalitarian....

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

I never mentioned how, just that it was done. To the betterment of both countries.

Rock knew where I was coming from. It's the continuing battle of the Red River.

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Vouchers Now.
    Be Not Afraid.

Whenever I see a national spelling bee or Jeopardy's teen or kid tournament, it seems like kids of Asian ethnicity are over-represented among the contestants. Their parents are doing something right.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Whenever I see a national spelling bee or Jeopardy's teen or kid tournament, it seems like kids of Asian ethnicity are over-represented among the contestants. Their parents are doing something right.
    They're often training them at home, especially in math. I knew a 1st grader who had his times tables down pat when he entered school. The teacher had to let him work on his own workbooks at school because everyone else was still learning how to add single digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    They're often training them at home, especially in math. I knew a 1st grader who had his times tables down pat when he entered school. The teacher had to let him work on his own workbooks at school because everyone else was still learning how to add single digits.
    At the least they should have let him skip a grade. But I suppose the school didn't want to give up the per-student $$ from the state and Feds. That's one of the nice things about homeschooling. Students can be allowed to proceed at their own pace - not held back by the rest of the class if they get it quickly, and not passed up if they take longer to get it.
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.