1. #1 Veggie and meat stew 
    I missed the stew thread the other day but I made stew last nite. I used pork and beef and added some green pepper and celery. This was some tender and tasty stew, and plenty of leftovers!

Ingredients
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 1/4 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
    6 large garlic cloves, minced
    6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
    I cup of Guinness beer
    1 cup of fine red wine
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 bay leaves
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
    Salt and Pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    Method
    1 Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add beef stock, Guinness, red wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

2 While the meat and stock is simmering, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside until the beef stew in step one has simmered for one hour.

3 Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat. Transfer stew to serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Salt and pepper to taste. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.)

The contestants!

Simmer time

Serve with some crusty Italian bread!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Most excellent!! I made stew last week. The recipe was very similar, but without the guinness (only because I'm all out!!)

Looks terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Most excellent!! I made stew last week. The recipe was very similar, but without the guinness (only because I'm all out!!)

Looks terrific!
    I didn't have Guinness either! I used a Sam Adams! :D The gravy was great to sop up with the bread.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    I didn't have Guinness either! I used a Sam Adams! :D The gravy was great to sop up with the bread.
    Ha!!

I have been craving a beer for months now. But in PA, because we only have state stores (unless you go to a bar) you have to buy beer by the case. It will just go to waste. Next time I'm in Delaware I need to remember to pick up a six pack so that I have some beer for my cooking!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Ha!!

I have been craving a beer for months now. But in PA, because we only have state stores (unless you go to a bar) you have to buy beer by the case. It will just go to waste. Next time I'm in Delaware I need to remember to pick up a six pack so that I have some beer for my cooking!

You can only buy beer by the case? Weird. In Georgia, we can't buy beer on Sunday, but you can buy beer by the six pack, or individual bottles even.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    You can only buy beer by the case? Weird. In Georgia, we can't buy beer on Sunday, but you can buy beer by the six pack, or individual bottles even.
    Yep. And you can't buy beer at the same place as other liquore. You have to go to a state store for the liquor and wine, and to a beer distributor for beer. No alcohol is sold on Sunday. Although they have started some trial state stores in some shops that are allowed to be open on Sundays.

Luckily, Delaware is just a few minutes away for most of us...but still not open on Sundays...that's what Maryland is for.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Yep. And you can't buy beer at the same place as other liquore. You have to go to a state store for the liquor and wine, and to a beer distributor for beer. No alcohol is sold on Sunday. Although they have started some trial state stores in some shops that are allowed to be open on Sundays.

Luckily, Delaware is just a few minutes away for most of us...but still not open on Sundays...that's what Maryland is for.

There are stores in Georgia where you can buy beer and wine and guns and ammunition. You can't buy beer and wine on Sunday, but you can buy guns and ammo. Go figure.

Darlin', you gotta move down here. A Philadelphai lawyer could do well. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!