1. #1 Rand Paul Stands Out in Courting Black Voters 
    CINCINNATI — After Mitt Romney received just 6 percent of the black vote in 2012, the Republican Party said that it could no longer afford to ignore African-Americans. “We are never going to win over voters who are not asked for their support,” its leaders wrote in a candid election post-mortem.

Nearly two years later, the party is still struggling to connect. There is one black Republican in Congress, Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina. Republicans in state legislatures nationwide continue to back bills to require people to have identification to cast a ballot, which black leaders have said amounts to legalized voter suppression.
    [snip]

“Go back to 2012, and Mitt Romney showed up at the N.A.A.C.P. after he secured the nomination because he had to,” said Donna Brazile, the Democratic strategist. She went on to describe her first encounter with Mr. Romney in 2012, an awkward one that, to her, summed up the party’s problems. “He came up to me and said, ‘Hi, Gwen,’ ” she recalled, meaning Gwen Ifill, the PBS journalist, who is also black. “Poor thing. He didn’t know.”

A spokeswoman for Mr. Romney did not return a message seeking comment.

Ms. Brazile and Mr. Paul have become friendly through encounters of their own in the green room at CNN, where Ms. Brazile is a contributor. She said she has grown to appreciate the broad array of issues he seems to grasp that are important to blacks.

“Everybody treats the black community as if we have to be told about food stamps and welfare,” she said. “That’s talking to us as if it’s 1964. And I think Rand Paul understands that.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/us...eech.html?_r=0

What is Brazile talking about "everyone treats"? Democrats treat them the same. Regarding Romney, in his defense, he probably indexed their intellect in his memory banks; they're both idiots.

At least Rand is out doing something to expand the voter base. President Obama was not at this event, I believe Biden was if I remember the interview on TV correctly.

The TV interview was pretty good, but I did not find a linky. African-Americans are tired of being pawns for the Ds.

Rand Paul is liked by young voters, too.

Gov. Snyder of Michigan is a republican who has reached out to black voters. When he won in 2010, he won by enough of a margin that he had to have gotten some votes in Detroit-not a lot, but more than any other republican since Milliken. He campaigns in the city-not just at the ballpark or the Detroit Economic Club, but in the neighborhoods. He pulled the bandaid off of Detroit's problems and came up with a solution that is working.

Wouldn't matter who ran for office in 2012. Obama had the black vote because #1 he is a Democrat and #2 he is black.

If a Carson or West had ran, Obama would still have had their vote.

I would never say I wouldn't vote for Rand Paul, but with such a close connection to Ron Paul and his apparent isolationism, I don't know how effective he could be as a leader.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    He campaigns in the city-not just at the ballpark or the Detroit Economic Club, but in the neighborhoods. He pulled the bandaid off of Detroit's problems and came up with a solution that is working.

That is what it takes, at least it gives the people to ask questions and get to know the person rather then just going by the media and political ads. This goes for both parties, and the primaries as well.

Then the voters can make an informed decision if they like him or hate the candidate or what the party stands for on the issues that matter the most to them.

I'm glad to hear Detroit is under repair, I have always liked our nation's big cities, Detroit included. I love Chicago.

Back in the day, before GM owned the Renaissance Center I enjoyed a couple nights there and was a guest speaker for a Labor Notes conference. I even found Hoffa, well Hoffa Jr, he hated the event and was there campaigning for President of the Teamsters and he did not even pay the admission fee......dead beat. I still got a handshake from him. I was a young very radical union leader at the time. Those were the days. I even won a few hundred bucks in Windsor, had a great meal there and found the beer was very good. That was the pre-passport days. I enjoyed my visit to both Detroit and Windsor.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 07-29-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    Wouldn't matter who ran for office in 2012. Obama had the black vote because #1 he is a Democrat and #2 he is black.

If a Carson or West had ran, Obama would still have had their vote.

I would never say I wouldn't vote for Rand Paul, but with such a close connection to Ron Paul and his apparent isolationism, I don't know how effective he could be as a leader.
    I appreciate Rand reaching out to people that have been ignored in the past by the GOP.