Oh yeah? Who says???

Sun Jul 27, 2014, 08:56 AM
    babylonsister

As Climate Change Worsens Many Americans Refuse To Accept Reality

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/07/...t-reality.html

As Climate Change Worsens Many Americans Refuse To Accept Reality
    By: Rmuse
    Saturday, July, 26th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Reality is the state of things as they actually exist rather than as they may appear, might be imagined, or what a person wants to believe is true. More broadly defined, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible. It is a sad state of affairs in America that a large segment of the population cannot accept reality they can see, feel, and know is true and it is quite frankly similar to religious ignorance. Of course, there is a reason so many Americans do not accept the reality of global anthropogenic (man-made) climate change, but the fact is that it is here and another batch of empirical data show it is worse than scientists predicted.

The latest report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Climatic Data Center is that the entire world’s oceans were hotter in June than at any time in recorded history. The previously high oceanic temperatures was in May, and they have been steadily rising and creating droughts, superstorms, flooding, and creating conditions conducive to devastating wildfires. However, it is not just the world’s oceans that are warming, global land surface temperature was nearly two degrees above the 20th century (1900s) average. It is important to remember, that June was the warmest month on record for the entire world; not just America and it followed the warmest May on record. This bears repeating; according to all known records, “June represented a significant milestone for the world’s oceans as it was the most anomalously warm ocean temperature than at any other time on record.”

One of the real travesties in America is that besides a steady stream of climate change denial from Republicans, the religious right, and fossil fuel industry, the profound level of ignorance among the population prevents a great number of people from understanding that ocean temperatures affect the currents that control the climate. It is nearly impossible to believe every American does not understand the simple concept because it is part of curriculum in every eighth-grade science class. Unless of course, it is schools where science has been replaced by the bible, or red states where climate change is portrayed as an evil United Nations’ plot to subvert America and destroy the fossil fuel industry. However, those states are suffering the devastation of climate change and it is baffling how human beings suffering historically severe droughts, wildfires, and water shortages can possibly deny the climate is changing for the worse.

snip//

According to a recent Gallup poll, only 36% of Americans see climate change’s effects as posing a serious threat to their way of life presently. A similar Yale poll revealed that the number of Americans who think global climate warming is a “right now” issue is 32% and they must all live in the Southwestern and Western United States where historically severe droughts and wildfires are adversely affecting residents’ lives.

Maybe as more Americans are exposed to extreme weather, severe droughts, flooding, and wildfires, the number of Americans acknowledging climate change is real will increase, and according to the NOAA, climate change’s effects are only going to get worse; much worse. Noted astrophysicist Neil de Grasse Tyson believes the only thing that will convince climate-change deniers to face reality is “if they begin to lose their wealth, then they’ll change their minds real fast, particularly in a capitalist culture.” Tyson may be right, to a point, because the California drought has already cost the corporate agriculture industry $2.2 billion in profits and yet the only solution a Republican proposed is rolling back, permanently, environmental regulations the Koch brothers and Republicans have sought for a decade.

It is a sad commentary, but as long as Republicans, the religious right, and fossil fuel industry continue convincing ignorant Americans that what they see, feel, and suffer is a liberal hoax, and not the result of rapidly warming oceans driving climate change, there will be precious little action in Congress. With Republicans obstructing legislation of any kind, especially on addressing the effects of climate change, the only hope for Americans is a robust voter turnout in November because Republicans have made it abundantly clear that one of their highest priorities is preventing any action to address climate change, regardless the damage to the economy, the American people, or national security.

Wrong again DUmmies, we refuse to accept your reality. Of course climate change is real, no one
    disputes that. What we have a problem with is blaming it on the human race and more pointedly...the Right.
    Where is your outrage for China and India??? Hmmmm??? It's only the ebil USA, as usual.

Oh, and just a heads up, calling people "ignorant" just because they don't agree with you
    isn't going to bring you more converts. I know both sides do it but you "enlightened" ones on the Left
    seem to do it more often in my experience.

And we know you love to point to NOAA and other groups but you also ignore the facts that many
    if not all their dire predictions somehow depend on data that is shown to be faulty. But you all just
    ignore that and scream BIG OIL, BIG COAL, BIG WHATEVER.

I always loved the "Data" that pointed to areas of the US getting hotter. Except for the tiny
    fact that the measuring devices were now close or in big cities that act like heat magnets
    and that others in more rural areas were broken and "accidently" not repaired...
    May the FORCE be with you!

I'm signed up for a half marathon next weekend whose course is a trail that runs along the eastern shore of the San Francisco Bay. I'll let you all know if it had to be re-routed or canceled due to a rise in the water level.

Don't be turning blue waiting for my report.
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

I always loved the "Data" that pointed to areas of the US getting hotter. Except for the tiny
    fact that the measuring devices were now close or in big cities that act like heat magnets
    and that others in more rural areas were broken and "accidently" not repaired...
    It's been pointed out that on the order of half of weather stations in the US have had significant changes made in their immediate area - AC exhausts blowing toward the station, heat radiating cooling facilities added near the station, dirt fields nearby paved, etc.. But the person reporting much of this, who does have the expertise to speak authoritatively is, by the act of speaking out, an eeeeeee-vile Climate Denier.
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    [URL="http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025297338"]I always loved the "Data" that pointed to areas of the US getting hotter.

I always get a chuckle out of that too, like the "scary greenhouse gas" knows where to hang out, and can honor state lines. LOL! If there was anything to it, what's happening in China would affect 'em worse than what they're doing in their own backyard, yes. The whole planet still shares the same atmosphere.

They better come up with a LOT more "proof" before they use this to bilk billions from the private sector, and not the "rent a scientist" stuff they buy from whoever supports their BS.

It's a scam to shovel untold amounts of money to a corrupt government. Money that would hardly be used to help this alleged "problem". Just enough to support the illusion they were "trying". The rest would get squandered, stolen, shoveled off to their buddies, and illegally used to perpetuate their own power structure. The current administration has plenty of practice with that already, and certainly doesn't need any more money.

I heard on the news Australia finally dropped this nonsense, good on them.

Am I saying trash the planet? No, of course not.

But if the people that push this crap were serious about stopping it, they'd start outside this country, where their real "problem" is. A program to address their hypothetical problem that isn't worldwide is nothing more than a license to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Oh yeah? Who says??? I always loved the "Data" that pointed to areas of the US getting hotter. Except for the tiny
    Whenever I check the weather in my area, it's always 10 degrees higher than what my outdoor thermometer says. I even replace the thermometer and it didn't change.

On Faux Nooz recently, they had a weather quiz, and one of the questions was about large cities like NYC with all the tall buildings and asphalt. The city structures can raise the night time temps as much as 20 degrees.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

I'm not gonna get into it deeply right now but....

The larger problem of all the alarmist is the (deliberate) failure to differentiate between pollution, weather and climate change.

Most of us with reasonable intelligence understand and abhor pollution, all of us experience weather nearly every day and like it or not, anybody over 20 in the US has experienced 'climate change'.

The explosion of Yellowstone has a higher probability of damaging our lives.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Us Americans sure are stupid. You enlightened Liberals and Progressives should probably just give up on us and move to Canada, Mexico, the UK, whatever, and let us sink into barbarism. No, really, it's okay, we'll deal with it.

It is a sad state of affairs in America that a large segment of the population cannot accept reality they can see, feel...

It is nearly impossible to believe every American does not understand the simple concept...

it is baffling how human beings suffering historically severe droughts, wildfires, and water shortages can possibly deny the climate is changing for the worse.
    Its also sad when a person believes that the climate he/she experiences in the cosmic eye-blink of their lifetime is sufficient to make conclusions on the earth's incredibility complex weather system.

Please give all your money to Al Gore. He will save you. If you can raise enough, he'll probably fly in on his Gulfstream to thank you (depending on which mansion he is staying at the time.) Dumbass.

Preface: I'm neither a denier nor a believer as I think it's incredibly arrogant to think that science can model something as complex as "global climate." The IPCC has proven me correct time and time again as there is one thing consistent about their predictions - they're always wrong. I refer to my position as being open-minded.

It is curious how they conveniently ignore the amount crap that China and India pour into the atmosphere.

If they don't like something going on in the US, many of them support the notion of the UN being intervening. If they REALLY care about their beloved climate change then you think they'd be demanding that the UN impose environmental regulations on the world's biggest polluters.

As usual, what they really care about is feeling superior/smarter to anyone with a different opinion. And then there's the hate part too that they so often revel in.

For those with an open mind, I always recommend this page from Chris Scotese's work.

Especially the chart at the bottom of the page. These temperatures were determined by examining the rocks deposited in that era and determine the climate in which they were deposited. It is very clear that this old world has been a lot hotter than today several times in the past and had several ice age intermissions. All long before man, fossil fuels or SUVs.

I don't immediately recall if it was Chris or one of his fellow researchers who also examined the sediments on a finer scale and noted that CO2 does not precede a heating phase but rather follows it. It has more to do with the solubility index of the gas v the ocean's temperature than anything else.

During the last 2 billion years the Earth's climate has alternated between a frigid "Ice House", like today's world, and a steaming "Hot House", like the world of the dinosaurs.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.