1. #1 Michigan union tricks teachers into prolonging membership 
    Rob Wiersema teaches high school economics, and he knows the merits of a simple cost-benefit analysis.

Leaving the Michigan Education Association, he surmised, made economic sense. Another professional association he found, offered better benefits at a lower cost.

But his simple economics become complicated. The union didn’t want him to go.

In December 2012, Michigan passed a Right to Work law, which allowed teachers and other workers to keep their jobs without belonging to the union. Until then, union membership was all but a requirement for employment.

“I thought, great, I’m out,” Wiersema said. “As soon as I heard you could leave, I thought, great. My contract is up in 2013. I sent letters to the MEA and the local association to say I quit, but it obviously didn’t work.”

He called the union and sent letters asking how to leave, but he got no reply. In June, he sent a “quit letter” to the state and local branches and the school. In July, union dues showed up on his credit card.

“I disputed the charge and said I wasn’t going to pay it,” he said. “Then I heard the MEA was going to go after people who didn’t pay it and have their credit reports take a hit.”

The MEA contends that teachers can leave the union in August only.

“People who thought they could exercise their right-to-work rights have unfortunately gotten a rude awakening that (the MEA is) now sending collection notices home,” said Vincent Vernuccio, director of labor policy for the Mackinac Center for Public Policy. “If they have not opted out during the narrow window during August, they’re sending a collection agency after them.”
    http://watchdog.org/161766/michigan-...ng-membership/

The MEA contends that teachers can leave the union in August only.
    Where does the mea contend that this requirement is stated?
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    Where does the mea contend that this requirement is stated?
    It's likely a requirement for that union. "Just Announced" in response to the ruling.

Note, the dues are collected for the year in July, but you can only opt to leave in August after you payed your yearly dues.

Fight it in court, they should lose.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

4. #4 Michigan union tricks teachers into prolonging membership 
    Crazy. Any right to work state I have worked in you can join or leave the union any month, week or day.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 08-03-2014 at 04:10 AM.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    All they need to do is go to court and fight it. They should win.

It would be like your cell phone company jacking up the rates, billing you for a full year in January, then telling you if you want to leave, the only month you can opt out of their services is the month of May after you payed the full year.

Illegal as hell.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Neckrub perv, known to some as former 8th grade science teacher Ken Skar, always proudly displayed his NEA and MEA membership cards in his classroom. He needed the union's protection badly. Even they were only able to protect him for so long-sooner or later he was going to pick on the wrong guy's daughter. Last I heard, he got fired and is now a hairdresser, although he's got to be about 80 by now.

I have no qualms about using his name. Pervert.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I have no qualms about using his name. Pervert.