Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Jezebel Writer Doesn't Like Praying in Restaurants--or the Discount 
    Power CUer
    You've probably all heard of the North Carolina restaurant that gives a 15% discount for praying before meals. A receipt from this restaurant went viral. Apparently, Jezebel doesn't like this too much.

North Carolina Restaurant Offers 15 Percent Discount for Prayer
    http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/north...4956/+ishaaran

...I'm not Christian, so maybe I don't get it, but I can't pretend people praying in public doesn't make me want to run the hell away as fast as possible. My instinctive (possibly genetically-programmed) reaction when I hear the words "Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior" is to duck, because I feel like I'm about to have a spear thrown at me. I find overt religiosity abjectly terrifying.

Winston-Salem is also typically regarded as one of North Carolina's islands of sanity, so this is perhaps odd for that town. It's worth noting that one commenter who lives in the Winston-Salem area reports that the food absolutely sucks. If pictures like this are any indication, I'm inclined to agree. Besides which, somehow I suspect that they wouldn't have the same reaction to a Muslim performing Salat as they would to a Christian praying to Jesus.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are bothered by things that wouldn't bother most normal people. It seems to be a symptom of some inane mental disorder.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 08-03-2014 at 10:38 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I have the same reaction as dear Jezebel when someone mentions green or conflict free product or non GMO, I want to scream and throw a spear at them.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Has it ever occurred to people that atheists might bow their heads and pray so they can get a discount?

Has it occurred to people that this might encourage people who believe in God to purposely pray outloud for a discount and then Jesus would let the discount be their reward? It says in the bible if you pray for attention, then that's all the reward you'll get. People should be bowing their heads in public and praying because they want to thank God for the gifts, not for a discount. This discount encourages bad behavior. Just because it might piss off a liberal, that doesn't make it right.

I was talking about it on my FB page and somebody did say that they're trying to clarify. They're trying to say that it's up to the server's discretion as to whether to give the discount and that it doesn't necessarily have to be praying. It could be any show of thankfulness for their food.

I found the part about a spear being thrown to be a bit racist.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Has it ever occurred to people that atheists might bow their heads and pray so they can get a discount?

Has it occurred to people that this might encourage people who believe in God to purposely pray outloud for a discount and then Jesus would let the discount be their reward? It says in the bible if you pray for attention, then that's all the reward you'll get. People should be bowing their heads in public and praying because they want to thank God for the gifts, not for a discount. This discount encourages bad behavior. Just because it might piss off a liberal, that doesn't make it right.

I was talking about it on my FB page and somebody did say that they're trying to clarify. They're trying to say that it's up to the server's discretion as to whether to give the discount and that it doesn't necessarily have to be praying. It could be any show of thankfulness for their food.
    No...because we...you excluded...don't think like Progressive Libtards.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    No...because we...you excluded...don't think like Progressive Libtards.
    I guess you don't like that Jesus thinks like that.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/6-5.htm

5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.
    If you don't think that people will pray to try to get a discount, then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

I think sometimes that you and some others just don't think at all. It's like if it pisses off a liberal, then you assume it's good. Go ahead and think like that. It's easier than critical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I guess you don't like that Jesus thinks like that.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/6-5.htm

If you don't think that people will pray to try to get a discount, then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

I think sometimes that you and some others just don't think at all. It's like if it pisses off a liberal, then you assume it's good. Go ahead and think like that. It's easier than critical thinking.
    No what I think...is a pin head Libtard trying to lecture anyone on the Bible is a fucking laugh riot. Trying to come off as some pious "I'm better than you" ass clown because you think you think calling these people hypocrites somehow makes you a better person...is a move straight out of DU. And is just something a Libtard like you would do.

You use a Bible scripture completely out of contextto somehow justify your dislike of religion and people's public display of it...color me shocked.

Like I said before...I'm not sure who is feding you the cut and past crap you're posting here right now...but I wish they'd sign up here...I'm tired of fighting a proxy war with you as his stooge. This stuff you're posting is busch league DU talking points crap. Easily debunked 10 years ago.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    No what I think...is a pin head Libtard trying to lecture anyone on the Bible is a fucking laugh riot. Trying to come off as some pious "I'm better than you" ass clown because you think you think calling these people hypocrites somehow makes you a better person...is a move straight out of DU. And is just something a Libtard like you would do.

You use a Bible scripture completely out of contextto somehow justify your dislike of religion and people's public display of it...color me shocked.

Like I said before...I'm not sure who is feding you the cut and past crap you're posting here right now...but I wish they'd sign up here...I'm tired of fighting a proxy war with you as his stooge. This stuff you're posting is busch league DU talking points crap. Easily debunked 10 years ago.
    The passage about not praying in public referred to the Jewish leadership who were already hypocrites: not because they prayed in public, but because they had already betrayed their God (by allowing Caesar's statue in the temple) and their people (by collaborating with the Roman colonial government that was tax farming the people to death, literally.) Their public prayers were a way to cover up their many sins and betrayals, and Jesus knew it. When he told his disciples to pray in private, he was actually guarding them against hypocrisy itself: don't think praying in public covers up your sins and betrayals. God knows everything you do. His followers were to be distinguished from the the traitorous Pharisees and Sadducees by the fact that they did not show off in public. However, Jesus did not have a problem witnessing to God in public, often in front of large throngs. It wasn't the public nature of the prayer: it was the hypocrisy behind it. If you are a good and decent person, praying in public is no sin and is not hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    If you are a good and decent person, praying in public is no sin and is not hypocrisy.
    Agreed. But Lanie is saying...without any evidence to back it up that the ONLY reason these people are praying in public was to get the discount.

She's as cynical as the Jezebel reporter.