Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Agreed. But Lanie is saying...without any evidence to back it up that the ONLY reason these people are praying in public was to get the discount.

She's as cynical as the Jezebel reporter.
    There are many people who naturally say grace at restaurants without any discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    The passage about not praying in public referred to the Jewish leadership who were already hypocrites: not because they prayed in public, but because they had already betrayed their God (by allowing Caesar's statue in the temple) and their people (by collaborating with the Roman colonial government that was tax farming the people to death, literally.) Their public prayers were a way to cover up their many sins and betrayals, and Jesus knew it. When he told his disciples to pray in private, he was actually guarding them against hypocrisy itself: don't think praying in public covers up your sins and betrayals. God knows everything you do. His followers were to be distinguished from the the traitorous Pharisees and Sadducees by the fact that they did not show off in public. However, Jesus did not have a problem witnessing to God in public, often in front of large throngs. It wasn't the public nature of the prayer: it was the hypocrisy behind it. If you are a good and decent person, praying in public is no sin and is not hypocrisy.
    I agree with all of that. If you're praying in public to sincerely thank God for the gifts, then that's great. I think that giving people a discount for praying in public opens the door to people bowing their heads and praying in public just for a discount. I can honestly see atheists and other people who usually wouldn't pray in public doing this for a discount. I know God wouldn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    There are many people who naturally say grace at restaurants without any discount.
    I wonder how many said it at that restraunt and didn't know about the discount?

What does it say about our society and the bias against the Christian religion that a discount has to be even offered to provide cover for people saying a blessing before a meal?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If you pray in public out of a desire to please and worship God then all is good. If to do it to draw attention to yourself then you are putting yourself head of God which is bad.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    If you pray in public out of a desire to please and worship God then all is good. If to do it to draw attention to yourself then you are putting yourself head of God which is bad.
    I agree, I think the restaurant was more making the statement that those that love God and are thankful for his provisions and gifts are welcome there and are in like company.
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 08-03-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I can see a lot of wise acres do it, just to mock religion and/or to get the discount.
    Too much disrespect in society today, especially where religion is concerned.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I guess you don't like that Jesus thinks like that.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/6-5.htm

If you don't think that people will pray to try to get a discount, then I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

I think sometimes that you and some others just don't think at all. It's like if it pisses off a liberal, then you assume it's good. Go ahead and think like that. It's easier than critical thinking.
    So Christians should never pray in public or hold vigils? If a business wants to give a discount they are able to do so, end of story. They are simply sending the message they are prayer friendly establishment, as often people feel out of place praying in public as a family or individually before a meal. Some might just simply be having a moment of silence and might not be our living Christian God, only God knows what is on their heart, it's not my job, your job, or anyone's job other then God's to judge what their intent is.

If you do not like the restaurant's policy feel free to not patronize the restaurant, that is how the free market works.

Not to Lanie, she cherry picks a verse of scripture to try and topical preach.

Sorry folks but I don't pray in public before I eat.

....and if I did happen to do it in this greasy spoon, I'd still pay full price. If they mentioned a discount, I'd just tell them to give it to a local charity.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Not to Lanie, she cherry picks a verse of scripture to try and topical preach.
    But that's exactly how liberals try to trap religious conservatives: by taking phrases out of context and applying them to their own causes.

Or they point out that "Jesus never said anything about X" (like homosexuality), ignoring the fact that Jesus was a Torah following Jew who may have had issues with pickier applications of the Law--such as not picking food to eat when you're hungry (Mark 2:23)-- but who makes it clear that he is not only in full support of the Law but is making it more stringent, such as in not allowing divorce.(Matthew 5:31-32). The Law, incidentally, forbade homosexuality.

The Fulfillment of the Law

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.