1. #1 Fifty side business ideas. 
    Jewelry making If you have a good eye for detail work and a lot of patience, homemade jewelry can be quite profitable. As with other items on this list, there are many opportunities to sell such items through local gift shops or at sites like Etsy.

Knitting / crocheting / quilting Skilled at creating blankets and sweaters? There’s a huge market for these types of items – even better, you can usually make them in your spare time whenever you have it. As always, local shops and places like etsy are great places to go to sell such items.

Landscaping services Willing to mow lawns and trim bushes and trees? Many people are quite happy to pay for such services. Not only is this a great side business for a fit adult, it’s also a great way for a teenager to get a small business started.

Meal-to-go preparations Remember my earlier post about breakfast burritos? Making meals in advance is a great way to save money for yourself – but you can often prepare these for others as well and sell them for a markup. Prepare eight casseroles, for example, then sell six of them to cover your costs, and you’ve got two free dinners for your family (and maybe a bit more). You can grow this by taking orders from others and finding out what they like.
    http://www.thesimpledollar.com/50-si...t-on-your-own/

Depending on local and state codes, food preparation at home can cause a lot of red tape, landscaping takes bonds, insurance and in some locations a license, even work at home businesses in my town and county require a business license, personal property tax on business equipment, zoning approval and a host of other regulations. They have people in the assessors office combing bulletin boards looking for business cards and searching classified ads to make sure you are properly licensed and paying your taxes! Non profits can no longer have chili suppers or a concession stand without sanitation and food handling cards. Most publications won't even run an ad without your license number depending on the type of business.

I hate to burst the excitement of the article but the bureaucrats are making it impossible for even Avon ladies to say stay in business within some towns.

At one time our town gave a pass to low grossing at home businesses that grossed less then 20K a year as long as they did not advertise, but they considered business cards a form of advertising. Since then they have made the requirements tighter. One of the reasons I am happy to see our entire town vote to be voted out of office....one less layer of government.

Government is the number one job killer, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Depending on local and state codes, food preparation at home can cause a lot of red tape, landscaping takes bonds, insurance and in some locations a license, even work at home businesses in my town and county require a business license, personal property tax on business equipment, zoning approval and a host of other regulations. They have people in the assessors office combing bulletin boards looking for business cards and searching classified ads to make sure you are properly licensed and paying your taxes! Non profits can no longer have chili suppers or a concession stand without sanitation and food handling cards. Most publications won't even run an ad without your license number depending on the type of business.

I hate to burst the excitement of the article but the bureaucrats are making it impossible for even Avon ladies to say stay in business within some towns.

At one time our town gave a pass to low grossing at home businesses that grossed less then 20K a year as long as they did not advertise, but they considered business cards a form of advertising. Since then they have made the requirements tighter. One of the reasons I am happy to see our entire town vote to be voted out of office....one less layer of government.

Government is the number one job killer, end of story.
    When I went into business for myself in 1970, I did everything on the up and up....that was a mistake. I was competing with those that didn't and it made it difficult to make ends meet.

....and today it would be even more difficult thanks to the infinite wisdom of our government. Seems they pass laws just so they can catch you breaking them.

Hobby craft based projects are very time consuming and expensive. Even a very talented person would take a long time to break even while trying to build up an inventory.

As stated below, all the licenses, permits, insurances and regulations are very prohibitive.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

All of these and, I'm sure 10,000 more will all work for the right individual. A HS classmate of mine got to the point that no one wanted to see him coming as he always had ideas about making it big but needed financial backing. After several folks took a big hit from working with him, he became a pariah.

OTOH I have a garden swapping friend whose son has his mind set on owning his own business and, in fact, already does. He just graduated HS and has a 15 customer lawn maintenance business flourishing. He wants 10 more but not to overload as he is going to the local Jr college this fall to learn business management skills. He may or may not continue on to a BA or something else. His current asking price for odd jobs is $15-$20/hr but works for me for less. He says because he learns something new every time he comes out and spends the day. He has helped me to raise a totem pole, plant several trees and bushes, create a rock patio and build a flower bed, none of which had he done previously. Now if someone asks about those tasks, he could say yes, I can do that.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    He says because he learns something new every time he comes out and spends the day. He has helped me to raise a totem pole, plant several trees and bushes, create a rock patio and build a flower bed, none of which had he done previously. Now if someone asks about those tasks, he could say yes, I can do that.
    That is great!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

So adapt. These enforcement methods are all predicated upon the target businesses publicly soliciting customers. If the costs of regulatory compliance present a barrier to market entry, just change your business model to one that either doesn't publicly solicit customers, or one that publicly solicits customers for a service which can't be tied to you.

I've done a bit of freelance writing to bring in extra money. Really, not an awful way to bring in some extra cash if you can handle it. I wrote online ads and was paid by the word. If you were committed, and a decent writer, you could bring in at least minimum wage. I used textbroker.com, and made some extra cash, but honestly, the writing is pretty boring and I didn't stick with it long term.

I've had more luck reselling stuff on e-bay. I started with a few items around the house, then I hit the jackpot with a scrub top that I bought for $3.99 at Goodwill, it sold for $38. It does take some effort, and it takes practice to figure out what will sell and what won't. I've made a little extra cash with it to help pay down my debt, but it hasn't been enough to quit my job.

Success at any side job takes a lot of work, probably more than you expect. If you need the money, picking up a part time job with somebody who will pay you consistently is probably a safer option, but if you are just looking to make a little money here and there in your spare time, more power to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rose View Post
    Success at any side job takes a lot of work, probably more than you expect. If you need the money, picking up a part time job with somebody who will pay you consistently is probably a safer option, but if you are just looking to make a little money here and there in your spare time, more power to you!
    Well said.