1. #1 VA scrambles to create private care alternative for veterans 
    The bipartisan overhaul of the Department of Veterans Affairs approved last week by Congress has touched off a race against the clock, as the agency now is tasked with setting up a private health care alternative for veterans within 90 days.

Whether the already-struggling VA can meet that deadline remains to be seen. But Congress set an ambitious timetable in the bill -- expected to be signed by President Obama any day now -- when it gave the VA three months to create a system where veterans enduring long waits can go outside the VA system for care.

The Washington Times reported that the VA needs to find manufacturers for printing millions of "choice cards" for these veterans, and the agency may have to find a new contractor to do it.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...tics+-+Text%29

Good idea since VA doesn't know what they're doing or they don't care.

The immense variations in the VA astound me. A good friend of mine mentioned elsewhere in this forum just made the move to the local VA in our old home town and will be there in hospice until he is tied to the earth no more. That is not expected to be long.

He proclaims that everything there is completely up to and above the call. The old leatherneck knows good from bad and honesty to guile so I trust his opinion. Food, service and medical care all supplied with great care and respect. He dis-continued treatment for his cancer some weeks back and is now taking only pain meds.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    The immense variations in the VA astound me. A good friend of mine mentioned elsewhere in this forum just made the move to the local VA in our old home town and will be there in hospice until he is tied to the earth no more. That is not expected to be long.

He proclaims that everything there is completely up to and above the call. The old leatherneck knows good from bad and honesty to guile so I trust his opinion. Food, service and medical care all supplied with great care and respect. He dis-continued treatment for his cancer some weeks back and is now taking only pain meds.
    I also hear some areas are better then others.

My worry is will the private industry be able to handle all the new patients? Doctors and private clinics are pretty busy right now due to Obamacare. I know Medicare patients that wait 90 days for an appointment with their primary doctor.