1. #1 In Rare Move, University Grants $22K Scholarship To Undocumented Student 
    In a rare move for U.S. higher education, Rutgers University has awarded a full scholarship to an undocumented immigrant, allowing him to finish his last two years of college and receive his bachelor’s degree.

Rutgers University-Newark has granted Giancarlo Tello, a 24-year-old political science major who came from Peru with his parents when he was just 6, a two-year scholarship that amounts to about $22,000.

University officials say they heard Tello speak at a community event in Newark, New Jersey and were amazed by his intelligence and leadership abilities. Since Tello is undocumented, and therefore ineligible for public financial aid programs, officials decided they would offer him a scholarship to help him cover the cost of his last two years.
    http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/pol...ented-student/

I know what I've said in the past, but I do think some things should be reserved for people who are here legally. Scholarships, government assistance, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/pol...ented-student/

I know what I've said in the past, but I do think some things should be reserved for people who are here legally. Scholarships, government assistance, etc.
    I know adult children that had their paperwork time out when they turned 21 and had to return home for a while, and miss a semester of college that their parents had already paid for. Obama's changes in 2012 changed this.

This is just not any kid that dropped through the cracks due to his paperwork timing out due to a huge back log by the Dept of Immigration.

Tello has been one of the leading activists in New Jersey pushing for changes in laws that would allow undocumented students to attend public colleges at the same tuition rates as other state residents.

Tello is campaign manager for the New Jersey Tuition Equity for Dreamers Coalition, whose members lobbied for an in-state tuition bill that passed last year and that Gov. Chris Christie held a signing ceremony for in January.
    He is a tool being used by colleges so they can gain more income and students regardless of legal status.

His grandparents, who are U.S. citizens, petitioned for his parents and for Giancarlo. But the process took so long that he turned 21 while it was still underway, and he became ineligible.

Now, his family has legal status, but he does not. Tello does have a waiver from deportation under an Obama administration initiative from 2012 that allows undocumented immigrants who came as minors to avoid removal for two years. During that time, they may get work permits and driver’s licenses.

Tello, who maintains a 3.5 GPA, sees the United States as home. It is the country, he says, where he came of age.

“Since the first grade I’ve been saying the Pledge of Allegiance in school every single day,” Tello said. “I played football in middle school, went to my proms. I grew up watching 'Ninja Turtles' and trading 'Pokemon' cards.”
    He was living here illegally for a lot of years, his family had plenty of time to get him documentation, they had 15 years before he turned 21, and he is now 24!

This I agree with:

Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Students, told The Record in Northern Jersey that the move by Rutgers raises questions about fairness.

“Every illegal immigrant who attends Rutgers University and gets a discount is taking something from an American student,” Krikorian told the newspaper.

Englot responds that lending a helping hand to undocumented youths does not take away help from other students

In the meantime my wife has to pay her own way through school.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Rutgers should be heavily fined each day they aid and abet criminals who are violating our immigration laws.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    Rutgers should be heavily fined each day they aid and abet criminals who are violating our immigration laws.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    In the meantime my wife has to pay her own way through school.
    What's she taking?