1. #1 State Dept Spokeswoman: Iraqis “Have To Pull Themselves Together” 
    Power CUer
    Odd language to use for victims of a genocide.

State Dept Spokeswoman: Iraqis “Have To Pull Themselves Together”
    http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/08/07...es-together/2/

Another classic from the “promise of hashtag” crowd.

During today’s State Department press briefing, deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf addressed the unfolding crisis in Iraq.

That crisis has many sources, but its chief source is ISIL. ISIL has taken hold of a large swath of northern Iraq and is killing anyone and everyone who gets in their way, or who refuses to bow to their take on Islam. Currently ISIL has about 40,000 men, women and children holed up on top of a mountain, starving them to death.

A reporter asked if there is a “confrontation to stop” ISIL’s spread.

Harf: “It’s not just a humanitarian crisis. I mean, that’s certainly a key piece of particularly what we’ve seen over the last 48 hours, certainly. But there’s a huge security challenge – if you talk about the Mosul dam, if you talk about other places. ISIL is a threat not just because they kill innocent civilians because of their religion, but because they’re a huge security threat to the stability of certain parts of Iraq. And that’s why throughout this conflict you have seen us continue to ramp up our support and continue to look very urgently at other things we could do to help fight this threat, because at the end of the day we can help the Iraqis, but the Iraqis also have to stand up, they have to pull themselves together, with our help, because this is a threat that certainly they but no one else in the region wants to see grow any more.”

Pull themselves together…

Like a lovable rogue who drinks himself to sleep on your couch every once in a while. “Pull yourself together, dude, I have to get to work and I’m not leaving with you here to eat up all of my food.”

At the moment, there’s barely anything for Iraq to pull together. That country has sectarian differences that go back more than 1,000 years. The army that we trained, and left on its own prematurely because Obama put his political priorities ahead of geopolitical realities, melts away in the face of ISIL attacks.

Should the Iraqis ISIL has blown up and beheaded pull themselves together too?

We’re looking at genocide.

Pull yourselves together.

From there, the briefing descended into a debate on reality and whether Harf is or is not a capable spokesperson....

I can't stand Marie Barf
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Power CUer
    But that silly advice: "Pull yourself together" to a people being slaughtered?

If only they'd tell the American public the same thing.
    Be Not Afraid.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    If only they'd tell the American public the same thing.
    YES! That's who needs to hear that message. But our idea in the US of what a "victim" is has become hopelessly entangled with notions of entitlement. When we see REAL victims, our politicians don't know what to do.

ISIL has all the American equipment and all the bullets.

Even the Kurds are outgunned. Apparently they were supposed to get 200 million worth of equipment we left behind, but their spokesman said that Maliki still has it. They've also asked us for equipment, but no one in DC can make up their mind about giving it to them.

This is such a disgraceful Administration. I am ashamed of everyone of them, including the idiots who put them in office.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.