Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Police fatally shoot man holding an air rifle in Walmart toy aisleT Victim was Black. 
    link

Liberals are once again up in arms; in a rage because of a police shooting. It's all about race, you see. The don't even know the whole story, but they sure can point fingers and blame the police.

LiberalElite (2,856 posts) Police fatally shoot man holding an air rifle in Walmart toy aisleThis wasn't an "open carry" situation. Victim was Black.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...mart-toy-aisle
    MannyGoldstein (28,181 posts) 1. Unbelievable. What the @#$%?

Do they train these cops by playing Grand Theft Auto or Doom?

How @#$%&ing insane is this?
    ReRe (6,624 posts)
    8. l'm bad at this...

... i.e., not clicking on the link and reading the story. But I did this time. There was a woman in the WalMart who was scared of him. Being the hyper-vigilant biddy she was, and looking for trouble and all... she called the cops. The cops came and shot him down. Story over. I hope to hell she feels all safe now.
    Yea, sure, that's what it sounds like./sarcasm
    linuxman (194 posts)

9. Hmmm...

More than a few times I've seen posters here extol the virtues of calling the cops on anyone they see with any kind of gun in a sort of "It's not my job to know his intentions/know if it's real!" sort of way.

Wish: Granted!

If only the young man hadn't expressed such an unhealthy attraction to (air)gun culture...right?
    UPDATE – WHIO Cincinnati has another side of the story:

April and Ronald Ritchie, of Riverside, told WHIO that they were in the hardware department Tuesday around 8:20 p.m. when they saw a man walking the aisles carrying what they thought was a real gun, pointing it toward the sky. The couple called 911. The couple said they followed Crawford at a safe distance. "Anytime I saw people walking his way, I would get their attention," April Ritchie said. She said the man was cradling a cellphone between his left ear and shoulder while he messed with the rifle.
    "He just kept messing with it and I heard a clicking," April Ritchie said.
    Ronald Ritchie said Crawford "was just waving [the gun] at children and people...I couldn't hear anything that he was saying. I'm thinking that he is either going to rob the place or he's there to shoot somebody.

"He didn't really want to be looked at and when people did look at him, he was pointing the gun at them. He was pointing at people. Children walking by," Ronald Ritchie said.
    MineralMan (66,106 posts)

60. This was NOT a toy gun, sadly.

It's a .177 air rifle that shoots either lead pellets or bbs. It's one of Crosman's multiple pump air rifles, designed to look sort of military. There's no orange tip on it, because it is not a toy. When fully pumped up, it fires a .177 caliber lead pellet at over 600 feet per second. If that pellet hits you, it will penetrate the skin, at least. It can put out an eye, and can even lead to a fatal injury in some circumstances.

There was definitely an over-reaction on the police's part here, but saying that it was a toy gun simply isn't accurate. Air rifles and pistols that fire lead pellets or BBs are considered firearms in almost all jurisdictions. They can easily kill small animals, and have the potential for being deadly against humans, too, although fatalities are quite rare from these weapons.

Walmart does sell this Crosman model, for about $85. NOT a toy at all, and you won't find it in the toy section.
    BronxBoy (1,666 posts)

65. Aren't these usually boxed up???

I've seen BB guns at WalMart, not this particular one, but I have seen them.

But they have always been in boxes in the sporting goods department
    MineralMan (66,106 posts)

67. Yes, of course they are.

The person could easily have unpacked it, though. Or perhaps he brought it into the store. I have no idea. But, yes, they would be sold in the sporting goods department. He could have bought it there, unpacked it, and was carrying it around. That information isn't in the article, though.

NutmegYankee (7,109 posts)

78. Other links on the local site stated that he didn't have it when he entered, and

there was an empty pellet rifle box in the store. Putting the two together...
    TorchTheWitch (9,551 posts)

20. he was threatening people in the store with this "toy"

and caused a panic. People were scared shitless and called the police saying there was a gunman walking up and down the aisles threatening people in the store. One woman died as a result of the panic collapsing and dying while trying to run away from him. Apparently she had some kind of medical condition. When police arrived he was ordered to drop the gun and apparently didn't causing the shooting by police.

I'm not seeing where the police were obligated to check the gun up close and personal to see if it was a toy or not, and for the safety of themselves and the people in the store who believed it was real and were terrorized by the guy SHOULD assume it's not a "toy". Actual toy guns have to have an orange tip to signify it's a toy, and this one didn't. It was apparently some type of real BB or pellet gun, which is not a toy and doesn't look like one. People in the store believed it was real, and the guy's actions of threatening people with it - including children - as though it was a real bullet-using rifle that was armed was beyond stupid, and the panic he knew he was causing should have been a big clue that what he was doing was an epically bad idea. One woman DID die because of his terrorizing actions.

Why in the world did he not just drop it when ordered to by the police? He had to have known what the outcome was going to be by not complying, and he certainly knew that everyone thought it was a real bullet-using rifle and that what he was doing with it was causing a panic.

I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for this asshole and don't give a shit what color he is. His actions caused a woman to collapse and die trying to run away from him, and he purposely terrorized everyone in the store. My sympathy is reserved for her. She was to be getting married on Saturday, but she's dead because of this guy terrorizing her and everyone else in the store.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/...d-inside-store
    Finally some facts. But of course there is always a gun grabbing hysterical blaming idiot.

BklnDem75 (2,432 posts)

41. If there was a panic, it was incited by those two 'concerned' citizens

An Ohio man is dead after police are called into a Walmart for reports of a man walking through the store with a rifle. It turns out, a law enforcement source for WHIO said, that it wasn't a real gun but a toy, either a BB or pellet gun, that he had opened at the store Tuesday night.

WHIO reported a couple were in the hardware department when they saw John Crawford walking past them with a rifle pointed toward the sky. They followed Crawford through the store as they called 911 and warned other shoppers to stay away.

One witness, Ronald Ritchie said Crawford "was just waving it at children and people. Items.... I couldn't hear anything that he was saying. I'm thinking that he is either going to rob the place or he's there to shoot somebody else." The man looked kind of serious, Ronald Ritchie said. "He didn't really want to be looked at and when people did look at him, he was pointing the gun at them. He was pointing at people, children walking by."

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/man-hol...killed-/ngxTX/

What a bunch of bs. No grown adult does this in real life, not even with pop guns. Dude was on the phone with the mother of his children, completely unaware two idiots created a deadly situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    link

Liberals are once again up in arms; in a rage because of a police shooting. It's all about race, you see. The don't even know the whole story, but they sure can point fingers and blame the police.

Yea, sure, that's what it sounds like./sarcasm

Finally some facts. But of course there is always a gun grabbing hysterical blaming idiot.

The mother of his kids and one of his kids.........

What a terrible situation.

One of the 911 callers was an ex Marine that claimed he was loading the gun.

http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/...ef=cbTopWidget

This is not about color; it's about sensitizing all of America to guns so we'll voluntarily give them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    This is not about color; it's about sensitizing all of America to guns so we'll voluntarily give them up.
    I have to agree.

What a terrible situation.

One of the 911 callers was an ex Marine that claimed he was loading the gun.
    No such thing.
    Life is hard (D)Ummies. It's even harder when you're stupid.
    -paraphasing John Wayne

TorchTheWitch (9,551 posts)

20. he was threatening people in the store with this "toy"

and caused a panic. People were scared shitless and called the police saying there was a gunman walking up and down the aisles threatening people in the store. One woman died as a result of the panic collapsing and dying while trying to run away from him. Apparently she had some kind of medical condition. When police arrived he was ordered to drop the gun and apparently didn't causing the shooting by police.

I'm not seeing where the police were obligated to check the gun up close and personal to see if it was a toy or not, and for the safety of themselves and the people in the store who believed it was real and were terrorized by the guy SHOULD assume it's not a "toy". Actual toy guns have to have an orange tip to signify it's a toy, and this one didn't. It was apparently some type of real BB or pellet gun, which is not a toy and doesn't look like one. People in the store believed it was real, and the guy's actions of threatening people with it - including children - as though it was a real bullet-using rifle that was armed was beyond stupid, and the panic he knew he was causing should have been a big clue that what he was doing was an epically bad idea. One woman DID die because of his terrorizing actions.

Why in the world did he not just drop it when ordered to by the police? He had to have known what the outcome was going to be by not complying, and he certainly knew that everyone thought it was a real bullet-using rifle and that what he was doing with it was causing a panic.

I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for this asshole and don't give a shit what color he is. His actions caused a woman to collapse and die trying to run away from him, and he purposely terrorized everyone in the store. My sympathy is reserved for her. She was to be getting married on Saturday, but she's dead because of this guy terrorizing her and everyone else in the store.

What? Facts?!?! No, it's raycissss and... and ....and ....gUnZ!!!!eLeBinTY!!111 aaaannnnd......

-paraphasing John Wayne

What a bunch of bs. No grown adult does this in real life, not even with pop guns. Dude was on the phone with the mother of his children, completely unaware two idiots created a deadly situation.
    Apparently so DUmbass. Ever hear of suicide by cop? Apparently this is one such case. But I love the idiot who blames the people who called the cop and not the scumbag waving what looked like a real gun around the store. It's always someone else's fault with these idiots.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

8. l'm bad at this...

... i.e., not clicking on the link and reading the story. But I did this time. There was a woman in the WalMart who was scared of him. Being the hyper-vigilant biddy she was, and looking for trouble and all... she called the cops. The cops came and shot him down. Story over. I hope to hell she feels all safe now.

You know it's funny, they're saying the people that called the cops were the ones that caused the death. But I specifically remember a bunch of idiots over at DU say that anytime they see an open carry they call the cops saying they feel unsafe.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The DU cop and Jew haters should get together and start a club.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbins View Post
    You know it's funny, they're saying the people that called the cops were the ones that caused the death. But I specifically remember a bunch of idiots over at DU say that anytime they see an open carry they call the cops saying they feel unsafe.
    Sure they did and some of the halfway honest ants are calling out the rest of the farm on it in this thread.
    -paraphasing John Wayne

So, how many posts into that thread did some one finally post a link and quote giving the full story? And how many more posts did it take for some one to point out that at close range, a .177 air rifle is a deadly weapon.

How many hoaxes and how many accusations proven false by the full story will it take for people to be extremely cautious of accusations like this one?!
    SVPete

Envy is Greed's bigger, more evil, twin.

Those who can, do.
    Those who know, teach.
    Ignorant incapables, regulate.